Is there a way to improve my situation?

My Rig:

CPU: Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K

MB: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard

PSU: Corsair AX1500i

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel X99 Platform Extreme Performance Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GRK

GPU: Asus 1080 Ti FE (Modified it with Hybrid Cooler from EVGA so it stays at 33C all times)

Monitor: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 4ms G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Monitor with DP and HDMI ports

I just copied and pasted exact title of my items from my amazon so excuse the long names. Just wanted to be as specific as possible.

MyProblem:

No matter how hard I try I cannot get the 1080 Ti to give me AT LEAST 144 HZ/Frames constant on most games. There are some games it does but that doesn't apply to the games that matter such as fast paced FPS. So it kind of sucks having a 2k monitor at 165hz capable and I barely get 144hz on it.

Am I missing something? Maybe there is a setup in BIOS that I haven't done? Over clock ram? Somehow overclock GPU? Really need some advice from someone that knows more than me. I'm able to do some minor overclocking but nothing major.

Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

@BrownBear0311
did you enable XMP in BIOS?

I did but honestly I felt like it hurt my performance more than anything. I think I need to manually overclock in BIOS but idk how for my setup. I know minimal overclock.

1 hour ago, BrownBear0311 said:

My Rig:

CPU: Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K

MB: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard

PSU: Corsair AX1500i

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel X99 Platform Extreme Performance Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GRK

GPU: Asus 1080 Ti FE (Modified it with Hybrid Cooler from EVGA so it stays at 33C all times)

Monitor: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 4ms G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Monitor with DP and HDMI ports

I just copied and pasted exact title of my items from my amazon so excuse the long names. Just wanted to be as specific as possible.

MyProblem:

No matter how hard I try I cannot get the 1080 Ti to give me AT LEAST 144 HZ/Frames constant on most games. There are some games it does but that doesn't apply to the games that matter such as fast paced FPS. So it kind of sucks having a 2k monitor at 165hz capable and I barely get 144hz on it.

Am I missing something? Maybe there is a setup in BIOS that I haven't done? Over clock ram? Somehow overclock GPU? Really need some advice from someone that knows more than me. I'm able to do some minor overclocking but nothing major.

Thanks in advance.

Only two cable formats support 144hz: Dual-link DVI and DisplayPort. HDMI 1.4 cannot run 1080p 144hz. 

Additionally to run 144hz plus on 1440p you may need more than one Display port connection from the GPU to the monitor to get consistent performance in demanding titles. 

I have a display port plugged into it. Anything else?

Edited by BrownBear0311

21 minutes ago, mattl115 said:

Only two cable formats support 144hz: Dual-link DVI and DisplayPort. HDMI 1.4 cannot run 1080p 144hz. 

Additionally to run 144hz plus on 1440p you may need more than one Display port connection from the GPU to the monitor to get consistent performance in demanding titles. 

Could you clarify what you mean?

22 minutes ago, BrownBear0311 said:

Could you clarify what you mean?

Most of the time higher end monitors at higher resolutions and refresh rates require multiple inputs from your GPU in order to stably perform at spec. 

35 minutes ago, mattl115 said:

Most of the time higher end monitors at higher resolutions and refresh rates require multiple inputs from your GPU in order to stably perform at spec. 

I'm not home to double check nor do I think it has two inputs. I'm pretty sure it has a single input.

Are you using an SSD? I just remembered I had a buddy that had an issue with certain games that would not run at 144hz due to HDD bottlenecks. Not every game would be affected depending on how they are coded. 

Without actually witnessing the issue while it is happening. The only other recommendation that I might have is driver/windows updates. Check your resource monitor when you are having the issues with framerate and see if any resource is getting pegged and therefore resulting in lower framerate.