Good budget headphones?

kelvinhall05

So one of the drivers on my HD 580s took a shit today (which really sucks, if you know where to find replacements please link them :D), so I need want new headphones, since the 580s, although old and worn out, sounded better than my Arctis 5s, and now I'm having trouble switching back (first world problem, I know). I'm wondering if there's a good budget replacement for them or a good place to buy parts for the 580s (best option). My budget is...I'm not really sure. I'd like to spend under $50, but if I have to spend a hundred to get a good, budget set of headphones I may consider it. Over-ear headphones are the best, followed by earbuds. Wireless isn't a must, but would be nice. I don't know a ton about headphones and I know that audio is subjective, but still. Maybe you guys can help me find some nice headphones. Thanks!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

21 minutes ago, Staris said:

Razer Man O’ War

Pretty sure my Arctis is much better than those...

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Pretty sure my Arctis is much better than those...

Well rip then.

I would just contact sennheiser and see if they sell replacement for one driver

1 minute ago, xtroria said:

I read on some forums and whatnot that they do...for $60 A POP. That's way too much for me, IMO.

On a separate note, although this is sort of out of my budget, do you have any experience with the Sennheiser HD 559? I found a pair on sale on Amazon.ca for $130. Would it be worth selling my Arctis for them?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

How is the driver broken?

$60 a pop is more than reasonable given it's the same drivers as the HD600. Even if you can't repair the existing driver, an HD580 with one driver working should still be worth a decent amount.

airbuds. any store bought brand. - just save up for a decent pair and use garbage until then.

I you really cant wait- grab a ps4 headset(the ones where the headphones can snap off the headset itself).  I haven't had an issue with these and they are durable as all hell.

57 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

How is the driver broken?

$60 a pop is more than reasonable given it's the same drivers as the HD600. Even if you can't repair the existing driver, an HD580 with one driver working should still be worth a decent amount.

Crackles and hisses, and is noticeably quieter than the other one.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I read on some forums and whatnot that they do...for $60 A POP. That's way too much for me, IMO.

On a separate note, although this is sort of out of my budget, do you have any experience with the Sennheiser HD 559? I found a pair on sale on Amazon.ca for $130. Would it be worth selling my Arctis for them?

Good luck finding anything decent for a measly $50 Canadian pesos. You need to spend $80 at least. The Status Audio CB-1 is a good place to start. Heck, you may as well get your headphones fixed. I know that it sucks, but settling for much worse headphones isn’t worth your time.

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Crackles and hisses, and is noticeably quieter than the other one.

At least crackling could be coming from cable which is mechanially breaking down.

If cable has similar plugs on both sides you could swap them around to either confirm problem being in ear cup/driver or in cable.

Maybe it could be also about that contact spring tiring causing bad contact:

26 minutes ago, EsaT said:

At least crackling could be coming from cable which is mechanially breaking down.

If cable has similar plugs on both sides you could swap them around to either confirm problem being in ear cup/driver or in cable.

Maybe it could be also about that contact spring tiring causing bad contact:

Already checked, and I think it's the little wire that connects to the spring.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

If you need a decent cheap replacement, Philips shp-9500 can't be beat, especially when you find them on sale for 50 bucks, which is very often. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

23 hours ago, miagisan said:

If you need a decent cheap replacement, Philips shp-9500 can't be beat, especially when you find them on sale for 50 bucks, which is very often. 

The Sennheiser 580 is quite noticeably better though. The highs are just so much smoother and easier on the ears. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

The Sennheiser 580 is quite noticeably better though. The highs are just so much smoother and easier on the ears. 

He said less than 50 bucks. I agree the 580s are much better, but you aren't going to find them for 50

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

3 minutes ago, miagisan said:

He said less than 50 bucks. I agree the 580s are much better, but you aren't going to find them for 50

But maybe I can find replacement parts for them for under $50.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

51 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

But maybe I can find replacement parts for them for under $50.

Must have misread the Op then, cause you said you were looking for a replacement for about 50

— Grumpy old man

9 minutes ago, miagisan said:

Must have misread the Op then, cause you said you were looking for a replacement for about 50

Replacement parts OR headphones.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

On 6/23/2018 at 9:02 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

I'd like to spend under $50, but if I have to spend a hundred to get a good, budget set of headphones I may consider it.

On 6/24/2018 at 8:32 AM, xtroria said:

On 6/24/2018 at 8:34 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

I don't get it... If you're willing to spend up to $100 to get a good budget set of headphones, why wouldn't you be willing to spend $60 to get your HD 580 working again?

13 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

I don't get it... If you're willing to spend up to $100 to get a good budget set of headphones, why wouldn't you be willing to spend $60 to get your HD 580 working again?

Because $60 for PART of a 20+-year-old headset is too much for me (yes, I know, I'm cheap).

I also need a new cable and headband, and new contact springs on the driver that isn't shit.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

33 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Because $60 for PART of a 20+-year-old headset is too much for me (yes, I know, I'm cheap).

I also need a new cable and headband, and new contact springs on the driver that isn't shit.

So wait, you dont want to spend 50 bucks on a decent headphone or 60 bucks on parts, please elaborate what you would like, because now you said no to both..... 

— Grumpy old man

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

HD 580 is going to be better than anything you'll get for $50-100