Question related to PWM and DC

Keita

Hi guys, I'm currently building my first computer, since motherboard technologies are way different from my first desktop computer (an Intel Pentium III)

the motherboard I got can be configured for fans that work in DC and PWM.

I installed the fans (I have no way to go into the bios since I don't have the CPU yet) but when turning the computer on I notice that the 4th fan header

doesn't work. All 4 fans installed are DC only (3 pin) but I wonder if it's not working because the header is in PWM mode or its a broken fan header?

Should a DC fan turn on despite the header being on PWM mode or only works (turns on) when it's on DC mode?

Thanks in advance

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage 0: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB HDD

Storage 1: Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB HDD

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 (6G) SSC GAMING

Power Supply: EVGA 80+ WHITE 600W

Case: Deepcool D-Shield V2

Case Fan: 4x Corsair AirSeries SP140

1 minute ago, Keita said:

Hi guys, I'm currently building my first computer, since motherboard technologies are way different from my first desktop computer (an Intel Pentium III)

I installed the fans (I have no way to go into the bios since I don't have the CPU yet) but when turning the computer on I notice that the 4th fan header

doesn't work. All 4 fans installed are DC only (3 pin) but I wonder if it's not working because the header is in PWM mode or its a broken fan header?

Should a DC fan turn on despite the header being on PWM mode or only works (turns on) when it's on DC mode?

Thanks in advance

PWM or DC is referring to the fan type...you should be running 3 pin fans in DC mode and NOT PWM

Just now, LawlBot said:

PWM or DC is referring to the fan type...you should be running 3 pin fans in DC mode and NOT PWM

I know, but my question is should a fan work despite the header being on PWM mode? Or do I have to put it in DC mode to make the fan "work"? 

I'm just testing the motherboard to see if I should return it because its broken or smth

2 minutes ago, Keita said:

Thanks in advance

I would test it when you have the CPU and everything assembled, but as said for 3 pin fans if you want to be able to control the speed of the fan you should configure it in DC voltage mode. PWM mode on a 3 pin fan will run but only at full speed with no type of control.

11 minutes ago, Keita said:

All 4 fans installed are DC only (3 pin) but I wonder if it's not working because the header is in PWM mode or its a broken fan header?

IF it doesnt work, then either it's turned off in the BIOS or broken. PWM headers control speed with the pin DC fans dont connect to while supplying a continuous 12V through the live pin, which means a DC fan connected to it will go full blast at all times.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Thanks guys, I ended up taking it to RMA, better be sure that it works properly than sorry that i'll come into another issue after the warranty has expired....

10 hours ago, Keita said:

Thanks guys, I ended up taking it to RMA, better be sure that it works properly than sorry that i'll come into another issue after the warranty has expired....

So header didn't provide power or didn't show up in BIOS? What mobo was that? There are some mobos where they have extra headers which aren't monitored or controlled by mobo. They just provide full 12V power.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

So header didn't provide power or didn't show up in BIOS? What mobo was that? There are some mobos where they have extra headers which aren't monitored or controlled by mobo. They just provide full 12V power.

Yeah, the header didn't have any power, tested it with a voltmeter before returning it. The motherboard is a MSI Z370 Tomahawk, the bios settings allows to control the speed of all fan headers incl the waterpump one but it doesn't allow to power on/off each header, all of them *should* have power for as long as the motherboard is working.

It has 4 headers for case fans, one for cpu, one for the waterpump. every single one of them works fine out of the box but the 4th header didn't get any power. If i unplug the fan that was connected there and connect it to any other header while the mobo is running, the fan works without any issue.

Edit: I could have kept the mobo and use a spliter instead since it didn't bother me a lot anyways but if it has a header broken who knows what other issue it could have 

Just quick update, I went today to the store and they gave me another MSI Z370 Tomahawk, it had the same issue, they tested the last one they had on stock and guess what, the same issue. *sigh* I ended up exchanging it for an ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS Gaming... I hope I made a good decision.

On 6/8/2018 at 5:44 PM, Keita said:

I know, but my question is should a fan work despite the header being on PWM mode? Or do I have to put it in DC mode to make the fan "work"? 

I'm just testing the motherboard to see if I should return it because its broken or smth

it would run, you wont be able to lower the speeds (it will always be at 100%) It happened to me, but just use a proper fan header in the mobo for the fan type

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM &nbsp;140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM &nbsp;120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM &nbsp;120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B) &nbsp;LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL