Laptop Thermal Re-Pasting

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask. 

I have an Asus Gl502vm (6700hq, 1060) that I have had for about two years now. I've noticed recently that I'm getting into the high 80s low 90s on both cpu and gpu in even normal games like Overwatch. I've built a few pcs but I haven't messed with laptop cooling much. How dangerous would it be for me to crack it open and repaste/clean the cooling fins and the block? Any tips? Temps were definitely 10-15c lower when it was new. Thanks in advance! 

As long as you don't break anything, you should be fine to take it apart and repaste it.

I would get an antistatic workplace to do it as well, whether on a big piece of cardboard or on a modmat. As long as there's no way for anything to short and die.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crazedbiker said:

I have an Asus Gl502vm (6700hq, 1060) that I have had for about two years now. I've noticed recently that I'm getting into the high 80s low 90s on both cpu and gpu in even normal games like Overwatch. I've built a few pcs but I haven't messed with laptop cooling much. How dangerous would it be for me to crack it open and repaste/clean the cooling fins and the block? Any tips? Temps were definitely 10-15c lower when it was new. Thanks in advance! 

The thermal compound should last much longer than that.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, Crazedbiker said:

It should be relatively safe though as long as you take the proper precautions.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

As long as you don't break anything, you should be fine to take it apart and repaste it.

I would get an antistatic workplace to do it as well, whether on a big piece of cardboard or on a modmat. As long as there's no way for anything to short and die.

Alrighty, thanks! 

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It should be relatively safe though as long as you take the proper precautions.

?

Even more important when it is open: remove the dust from the heatsinks!