The Benefits and Drawbacks of Going 4k

Paul Rudd
Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
39 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Ill be honest here, i cant fathom how the benfits of 4K are not obvious.

its a higher resolution, if the benefits are so arbitrary and not obvious, then why not run at 640x480.

Its a higher resolution, it looks better, more can fit on the screen.

The drawbacks, it requires more GPU power.

Price isnt realy a draw back, any monitor is going to cost money, and you can get 4k monitors real cheap now, its other aspects of the monitor that drive up price, like the make, extra features, quality of the panel etc.

As for 4k gaming being just for bragging. Som1 with 'normal' vision should be able to tell the diference between 1080p, 1440p, and 4k , unless your using a tiny screen size.So its most certainly not just for bragging rights.

@SolarNova I know, right? So very obvious when you own one. As for the GPU requiring more power, sure if you're trying your best to achieve ultra settings. I'm not doing that. I'm trying to achieve medium to very high settings and so far my results have been beyond my expectations. Owning a 3GB GPU in 1080p for about a year and a half has taught me a lot about graphic settings. In fact, I believe I have mastered it. So now that I'm gaming in 4k on the exact same GPU, I don't even have to go into Nvida GeForce Experience anymore to check the recommended settings. I naturally set everything near perfect for a stable 60 fps. And if I see hiccups going on, I go in and do some tweaking here and there and boom, I'm above 70 fps on average. So I turn on v-sync and get to gaming at a stable 60 fps. And in doing so, gaming has become gaming again if you know what I mean.

8 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Which programs don't scale at all on Windows 10?

Steam and FireFox are the big ones for me.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I don't have any problems on 1080p, but my GPU isn't good for anything higher than 1080p anymore.

@Crunchy Dragon Same here. But I feel like my GPU could at least make an attempt at older games in 4k. You'd think they should run just fine when they don't even use much GPU power playing them in 1080p.

For a workstation 4K or more is a huge blessing, for gaming i'd prioritize getting a 144hz freesync/g-sync monitor.

Not sure how this thread even made it to a second page.

If you're poor, buy a 1080p or 1440p monitor, if you aren't, go 4K. 

Pretty simple.

1 minute ago, A Random Dude said:

@Princess Cadence Why? I know nothing about 21:9 ultrawides. Enlighten me.

Well the main issue that turns 4k kinda pointless as for now is that Windows scales the UI poorly turning both common 2560x1440p and 4k about the same virtual space and all 4k really has is the higher pixel density.

However pixelation with a 27 inch 1440p already is not an issue, images are perfectly crystal clean, 4k makes sense on big screen TVs like 55 inch and such so you keep the quality as still gaining actual space.

When you go 21:9 on the other hand even at 2560x1080p you're already gaining actual virtual space keeping the same image quality, it's much better experience all around as well eh... whoever uses it never really goes back to 16:9... if you have a ton of money to burn on a monitor don't think of 4k as the ultimate experience, a 3440x1440p ultrawide is the right place to go personally speaking.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Some Random Member said:

For productivity 4k= good,

But for gaming idk. 

Just run the game at 1080p, it'll scale nicely on a 4K monitor.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Steam and FireFox are the big ones for me.

@Drak3 Does this scaling issue happen in 4k for you? Or 1080p? If it's in 1080p, what exactly is the issue? Not sure why I'd ever want to scale Steam on my 1080p monitor. Is the text too small or something? It's small on mine but it's never been an issue. Or maybe it is a reason my eyes have been squinting so much lately. Never thought about scaling it up or down. And doesn't that affect speed in the browser? 

25 minutes ago, xXxAdamxXx said:

For a workstation 4K or more is a huge blessing, for gaming i'd prioritize getting a 144hz freesync/g-sync monitor.

@xXxAdamxXx I wish I could afford 144Hz g-sync monitors. Those 2 things alone make 1440p and 4k monitor prices skyrocket. Let alone the amount of money you have to then invest into your GPU/CPU.

2 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

@Drak3 Does this scaling issue happen in 4k for you? Or 1080p? If it's in 1080p, what exactly is the issue? Not sure why I'd ever want to scale Steam on my 1080p monitor. Is the text too small or something? It's small on mine but it's never been an issue. Or maybe it is a reason my eyes have been squinting so much lately. Never thought about scaling it up or down. And doesn't that affect speed in the browser? 

1440p and up.

Text in Steam is too small.

Firefox's issue is due to the fact that I run both 1080p and 1440p monitors on my main desktop. It tends to resize itself according to the main monitor (1440p) on reboot.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

20 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Not sure how this thread even made it to a second page.

If you're poor, buy a 1080p or 1440p monitor, if you aren't, go 4K. 

Pretty simple.

@Cookybiscuit xD Funny profile picture and profile name. While I'm not poor, I'm also not rich. I'm also a person that likes to invest more into things that last much longer. So 4k really interests me the moment getting into it just does present itself. It's not so simple to make the jump when so many people have so many different experiences. I do like the comment about if you're poor, buy a 1080p or 1440p monitor, if you aren't, go 4k. Because as of today, 1440p is actually right there in price to 4k. But all the bells and whistles are never exactly what you're looking for in each of them. At least what I want in them.

27 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well the main issue that turns 4k kinda pointless as for now is that Windows scales the UI poorly turning both common 2560x1440p and 4k about the same virtual space and all 4k really has is the higher pixel density.

However pixelation with a 27 inch 1440p already is not an issue, images are perfectly crystal clean, 4k makes sense on big screen TVs like 55 inch and such so you keep the quality as still gaining actual space.

When you go 21:9 on the other hand even at 2560x1080p you're already gaining actual virtual space keeping the same image quality, it's much better experience all around as well eh... whoever uses it never really goes back to 16:9... if you have a ton of money to burn on a monitor don't think of 4k as the ultimate experience, a 3440x1440p ultrawide is the right place to go personally speaking.

@Princess Cadence Hey, I'll take kinda pointless over completely pointless any day. I have got to experience this UI scaling I keep hearing about. Those perfectly crystal clean images on a 27" 1440p monitor sound great. As for ultrawides, unless they're the same price as 4k, I'll never even know much about them. Which could be a shame considering what I think they're perfect for(watching movies). Something I do more of than play games. Is watching movies a reason to go ultrawide?

36 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Just run the game at 1080p, it'll scale nicely on a 4K monitor.

@TheKDub Now this I believe to be very true. But what about scaling a 4k monitor down to 1440p? Isn't that an issue? Or is it only an issue in certain 4k monitors?

32 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

1440p and up.

Text in Steam is too small.

Firefox's issue is due to the fact that I run both 1080p and 1440p monitors on my main desktop. It tends to resize itself according to the main monitor (1440p) on reboot.

@Drak3 Did this Steam update do anything for that? https://www.vg247.com/2018/03/23/steam-high-resolution-dpi-exfat-support/

30 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

@TheKDub Now this I believe to be very true. But what about scaling a 4k monitor down to 1440p? Isn't that an issue? Or is it only an issue in certain 4k monitors?

Since 4K is 1.5x wide/tall as 1440p (whereas it's 2x as wide/tall as 1080p), it'll look a bit off since it can't just make 4 pixels represent 1 pixel. I don't know specifically how monitors handle it, but it just won't come out looking as sharp as a factor of 3840x2160 would.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

19 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Yes, though I just got it last night.

I'm also going to disagree with Candece on 21:9 monitors. Unless your specific use case benefits from wide monitors (and IMO, most don't), they're just a waste of money.

Scaling at 1440p isn't super necessary in Windows with desktop monitors, and Windows' scaling only applies to Windows itself, UWP/Metro apps, and what few apps that use Windows scaling as default. Most programs are either coded for a specific width and height (like older versions of Steam, Photoshop CS6 and older), or have their own scaling (Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE11, Photoshop CC). The extra resolution does translate into more usable "virtual" space.

With 4K, scaling is somewhat necessary, but 200% (which according to some people, effectively cancels out running 4K) scaling is not necessary.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

Ubuntu? Never heard of it. Never even knew there were more OS's than just Windows and Linux on PC. Even though I know there's multiple OS's on tablets. 

Ubuntu is a version of Linux. And there is a very large amount of versions of Linux out in the world. 

I'd say gaming on 4K is pretty meh. But for productivity it's great.

I often code on my 4K TV with low scaling. The possibility to have alot of files open next to each other is awesome. 

standard gaming = 1080p

ideal gaming = 1440p

productivity = 4k

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Since 4K is 1.5x wide/tall as 1440p (whereas it's 2x as wide/tall as 1080p), it'll look a bit off since it can't just make 4 pixels represent 1 pixel. I don't know specifically how monitors handle it, but it just won't come out looking as sharp as a factor of 3840x2160 would.

@TheKDub I just bought me a 4k monitor a few hours ago and downscaling it to 1440p has zero issues. In Rocket League and The First Templar that is. I will be sure to do a lot more testing of other games on a daily basis.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Yes, though I just got it last night.

I'm also going to disagree with Candece on 21:9 monitors. Unless your specific use case benefits from wide monitors (and IMO, most don't), they're just a waste of money.

Scaling at 1440p isn't super necessary in Windows with desktop monitors, and Windows' scaling only applies to Windows itself, UWP/Metro apps, and what few apps that use Windows scaling as default. Most programs are either coded for a specific width and height (like older versions of Steam, Photoshop CS6 and older), or have their own scaling (Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE11, Photoshop CC). The extra resolution does translate into more usable "virtual" space.

With 4K, scaling is somewhat necessary, but 200% (which according to some people, effectively cancels out running 4K) scaling is not necessary.

@Drak3 Glad to hear that fixed the issue on Steam. I just snagged me a 4k monitor a few hours ago and I see what you mean. Steam looks great at 150% scaling and I am loving how things look vertically on this thing on any app. You don't have to scroll down as much anymore. I may try 125% but text is already insanely small. I'm going to look into making text bigger tomorrow probably.

6 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Ubuntu is a version of Linux. And there is a very large amount of versions of Linux out in the world. 

I'd say gaming on 4K is pretty meh. But for productivity it's great.

I often code on my 4K TV with low scaling. The possibility to have alot of files open next to each other is awesome.

@Cheezdoodlez What do you mean 4k is pretty meh? I can't take my eyes off it right now. And what kind of files open next to each other do you speak of? Like folders or something? 

6 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

standard gaming = 1080p

ideal gaming = 1440p

productivity = 4k

@Sierra Fox I dunno if I can agree with that now that I made the jump. From a couple of hours after going 4k, it's more like...

high definition gaming = 1080p

very high definition gaming = 1440p

ultra high definition gaming and ultra productivity = 4k

14 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

ultra high definition gaming and ultra productivity = 4k

except the investment in hardware to run 4k gaming at decent settings at a constant frame rate is not worth it at the moment. more people are going to get benefit out of 1440p@144 than 4k@60

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

31 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

@TheKDub I just bought me a 4k monitor a few hours ago and downscaling it to 1440p has zero issues. In Rocket League and The First Templar that is. I will be sure to do a lot more testing of other games on a daily basis.

It's not likely something you'll notice in games aside from maybe in text.

8 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

except the investment in hardware to run 4k gaming at decent settings at a constant frame rate is not worth it at the moment. more people are going to get benefit out of 1440p@144 than 4k@60

@Sierra Fox I dunno about that. My hardware is far from the greatest and I just ran GTA 5 at high settings in 4k at a very stable 60 fps with v-sync on. I ran a benchmark with v-sync off and got around 69-89 fps. I downscaled to 1440p and was able to achieve very high settings at a very stable 60 fps with v-sync on. Ran a benchmark with v-sync off and got around 67-77 fps with highs and lows here and there around 49-91 fps. While playing the game in both 1440p and 4k, it's butter smooth. My GPU and CPU are processing nicely the whole time too. I was very worried from the get go of testing GTA 5(from hearing things like not having enough hardware to run the game properly) but I gotta tell ya', the only thing I kept saying to myself from the results were things like "I'm very happy with my purchase" or "I dunno what these people were talking about" or "well I know I'm not taking this thing back for a refund". I can't be any happier with my investment right now. While I'm gaming in 4k it's totally different than gaming in 1080p. I stop and admire every single detail the entire time. I'm enjoying the game again. Before, I wasn't as interested to even turn on the game. And this is just from playing for less than 1 hour last night.