Distributing JAR files

DtrollMC

I am working on a Java project, and I wrote several libraries to help me make this project. Often, I find myself adding some features to the libraries, and building updated JAR files. Problem is, I am now using my laptop and my desktop for coding, and so swapping JARs over with a flash drive whenever I want to add a feature to one of my libraries is tedious af. 

Could be a simple question, but is there anyway I can facilitate the transfer of builds between machines?

If all of these machines are on the same local network, would it make sense for you to have a share with all of your working files contained within? That'd mean you would have access to whatever was latest on any machine with access to the share. Set up your development environment to have local scratch space (so network isn't a bottleneck).

If your machines are geographically dispersed, like having a machine at home, at work, at your school/college, etc. then you could try standard sync software like onedrive or dropbox, but this introduces latency (it will take time for syncs to complete), and if the files are large you may have issues uploading.

Yea I'm frequently not on the same local network, and don't want to use simple cloud storage for that reason.

51 minutes ago, DtrollMC said:

I am working on a Java project, and I wrote several libraries to help me make this project. Often, I find myself adding some features to the libraries, and building updated JAR files. Problem is, I am now using my laptop and my desktop for coding, and so swapping JARs over with a flash drive whenever I want to add a feature to one of my libraries is tedious af. 

Could be a simple question, but is there anyway I can facilitate the transfer of builds between machines?

i would just use git to update the project on all my machines. Many IDEs even automize the task for you. If not, just write a script for it. It is very simple. 

Edit: I guess you can't do that if you do not wish to make your project public..... at least not if you want to avoid paying premium account on github. just use something like mega sync(they give you 60 gb free) client and have it sync the project folder. that works too. or write a script for it. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

i would just use git to update the project on all my machines. Many IDEs even automize the task for you. If not, just write a script for it. It is very simple. 

Edit: I guess you can't do that if you do not wish to pay a premium to make your project private..... just something like mega sync(they give you 60 gb free) client and have them sync the project folder. that works too. or write a script for it. 

As a student I have unlimited private repos:D

1 minute ago, DtrollMC said:

As a student I have unlimited private repos:D

then problem solved! use git 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

True, never considered just throwing the jar in with the source code commits

5 hours ago, DtrollMC said:

True, never considered just throwing the jar in with the source code commits

Just make yourself a "libs" directory in the project and put them in there :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II