Powerline kit slow

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
Just now, Firegoose said:

Im using the TP-Link TL-PA4010 AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter

Speeds measured by speedtest

Okay, something to note on those is that while they advertise 500Mbps speeds, they only use 100Mbps ports, so 100Mbps is the best you'll ever get out of them. 

If you're getting 12Mbps from them (assuming your current internet is better than that) then it's likely a combination of distance between the powerline units and the quality/interference of the wiring in the house. There's not much you can do about that. 

Best solution is to run a cable, but that's not an option for everyone. As there's not really much you can do to improve powerline connections, the next option is to upgrade your wireless network to get better coverage at the other end of the house. 

So I have the TPlink powerline kits to help me get internet to the far corners of the house because I dont like having my console and pc on wifi. For the most part its fine but my internet speeds are getting upgraded and it seems that I am only getting like 12 mbps when the "maximum" speed is supposed to be 500 mbps. I understand that I am never going to get anywhere near that but is there a way to improve this since I know I am getting 350+ into the house?

Are those speeds of 12Mbps coming from Speedtest? Or something like Steam/Battle.net/etc downloaders?

If it's speedtest then I would look at wire quality in the walls, age and quality can have a huge impact on speed in this case. Distance between the adapters can impact it as well, the further away the bigger the drop off.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If you run a Cat 6 cable from the modem that would be at the entrance to the house, for that speed I assume that you have fiber connection. 

Cat 6 is good for 325 feet , and should do the trick. You may need tools to connect the RJ45 connectors .

If you have a basement you could run the wire in the basement ceiling .

This is just a suggestion .

Good Luck

Just now, Firegoose said:

Okay, something to note on those is that while they advertise 500Mbps speeds, they only use 100Mbps ports, so 100Mbps is the best you'll ever get out of them. 

If you're getting 12Mbps from them (assuming your current internet is better than that) then it's likely a combination of distance between the powerline units and the quality/interference of the wiring in the house. There's not much you can do about that. 

Best solution is to run a cable, but that's not an option for everyone. As there's not really much you can do to improve powerline connections, the next option is to upgrade your wireless network to get better coverage at the other end of the house.