I actually need 128Gb of RAM

I'm video editing 4K with 64Gb of 3600mghz RAM, and I'm bottlenecking @99% RAM usage, absolutely ridiculous. I never thought 64Gb would be inadequate, even in a Threadripper build. Does this sound abnormally high? Thank you in advance.

P.S. I'm editing in Premiere Pro, and After Effects, and AE is just killing my RAM, but I'm glad I sprung for a Quadro P5000.

If it's happening to you, then I see not reason why not to upgrade to 128GB. (You could probably get away with 96 if you wanted to, but I mean it really depends on what you're willing to pay for)

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Why did you buy freaking 3600MHz RAM?  There are diminishing returns, and it's way too expensive for the cost. xD

On topic though, and someone feel free to correct me, but I think that After Effects stores as much as possible in RAM.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Is not unheard of using more than 64GB for premiere pro and after effects.

Do you have a extra SSD as a scratch disc?

4 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

If it's happening to you, then I see not reason why not to upgrade to 128GB. (You could probably get away with 96 if you wanted to, but I mean it really depends on what you're willing to pay for)

It's definately gonna happen.

3 minutes ago, TLCH723 said:

Is not unheard of using more than 64GB for premiere pro and after effects.

Do you have a extra SSD as a scratch disc?

I have a 2TB Samsung Pro M.2 boot drive, and a 10TB 7200rpm WD Gold disk drive.

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Why did you buy freaking 3600MHz RAM?  There are diminishing returns, and it's way too expensive for the cost. xD

On topic though, and someone feel free to correct me, but I think that After Effects stores as much as possible in RAM.

At the time, I didn't realize I was wasting money on 3600mghz RAM, so that's what I dug for myself.

1 minute ago, Ripper7620 said:

I have a 2TB Samsung Pro M.2 boot drive, and a 10TB 7200rpm WD Gold disk drive.

My suggestion is to get a SSD, even an old one or SATA3 one, as a scratch disc, to see if it improves, since SSD is cheaper than RAM.

And you cannot have too much storage.

1 minute ago, TLCH723 said:

My suggestion is to get a SSD, even an old one or SATA3 one, as a scratch disc, to see if it improves, since SSD is cheaper than RAM.

And you cannot have too much storage.

FWIW, I have an external USB 3 WD Premium 5TB external drive coming tomorrow, but that's mostly for portability for showing off my work. I'll likely take your advice, and get a 4TB Samsung Pro SATA3 SSD.

17 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

FWIW, I have an external USB 3 WD Premium 5TB external drive coming tomorrow, but that's mostly for portability for showing off my work. I'll likely take your advice, and get a 4TB Samsung Pro SATA3 SSD.

Did SSD price go up? $200 for 1TB. Actually a RAM upgrade and the SSD would be about the same price. 4x16GB DDR4 3000 is about $700. and 3600 is $730.

If you go with the SSD route, is better to get smaller SSD and but them as raid 0, since is faster

If you have one laying around, then you can test it. 

2 minutes ago, TLCH723 said:

Did SSD price go up? $200 for 1TB. Actually a RAM upgrade and the SSD would be about the same price. 

What on earth are you talking about? They're nowhere near the same price. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

What on earth are you talking about? They're nowhere near the same price. 

The RAM upgrade -  4x16GB DDR4 3000 is about $700. and 3600 is $730. DDR4 3600

The SSD upgrade - 4x1TB is about $800.

Of course I am not talking about price per GB/TB

19 minutes ago, TLCH723 said:

Did SSD price go up? $200 for 1TB. Actually a RAM upgrade and the SSD would be about the same price. 4x16GB DDR4 3000 is about $700. and 3600 is $730.

If you go with the SSD route, is better to get smaller SSD and but them as raid 0, since is faster

If you have one laying around, then you can test it. 

Why not both?

If you have 128GB of ram, after effects will use 128GB.

If you have 256GB of ram, after effects will use 256GB.

If your problem is not enough ram left for other programs, change the after effects settings to reduce the max allocated.

Otherwise you need to work with either smaller files or get some NVME SSDs because after effects will always use all the ram you have.

You either have a ton of effects, or your video files are really long.

After effects works best for short, small clips.

Use premiere for editing large compositions.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

Why not both?

If you have the money

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

If you have 128GB of ram, after effects will use 128GB.

If you have 256GB of ram, after effects will use 256GB.

If your problem is not enough ram left for other programs, change the after effects settings to reduce the max allocated.

Otherwise you need to work with either smaller files or get some NVME SSDs because after effects will always use all the ram you have.

You either have a ton of effects, or your video files are really long.

After effects works best for short, small clips.

Use premiere for editing large compositions.

Thank you, that actually makes some damn sense.

2 hours ago, TLCH723 said:

btw, you can set the limit for RAM in the program

Thank you, I did not know this.

2 hours ago, dragonhart6505 said:

And that's why i use Sony Vegas

Seriously considering Pro Suite, not because Adobe is lacking, but because I want access to the best post production software I can get my hands on.

21 minutes ago, Speed Pixelent said:

Does your motherboard use DDR3 or DDR4

DDR4, and I'm going to hold off for now, because a matched quad of 64gb is $900, and that's ridiculous.