Using your own dns servers

KevinBS05

So I just watched the video on using 1.1.1.1 dns servers instead to speed up your internet.  I have colo servers in the local data center, would it be even better to use those for private dns servers?

It won't "speed up your internet" - just how fast you resolve DNS queries. Transfer rates and latency will remain the same.

You will need to understand how it will impact your servers - are there hostnames or other DNS entries that the local DNS server is able to resolve that an external DNS server could not? Meaning, if you have say 2 servers that need to talk to each other internally - will they be able to resolve those internal IPs using 1.1.1.1 (99% of the time this will be no).

Really depends on your environment.

13 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

It won't "speed up your internet" - just how fast you resolve DNS queries. Transfer rates and latency will remain the same.

You will need to understand how it will impact your servers - are there hostnames or other DNS entries that the local DNS server is able to resolve that an external DNS server could not? Meaning, if you have say 2 servers that need to talk to each other internally - will they be able to resolve those internal IPs using 1.1.1.1 (99% of the time this will be no).

Really depends on your environment.

Yeah sorry, just basing the "speeding up your internet" on the title of the video.

So I'm probably going to sound really dumb, networking has always been my downfall.  But if they're all in the same rack they can communicate with each other through the switch right?

7 hours ago, KevinBS05 said:

Yeah sorry, just basing the "speeding up your internet" on the title of the video.

So I'm probably going to sound really dumb, networking has always been my downfall.  But if they're all in the same rack they can communicate with each other through the switch right?

Your windows computer has a DNS service running that acts very similar to a full dns server. you wont really see any difference, unless your ping at a server on the otherside of the planet.

Every time you resolve a hostname with a DNS, your system (and the DNS) will cache the IP address for later. after some time it'll delete that entry, but otherwise your system will just look locally for the IP.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:36 PM, KevinBS05 said:

They can if they are told to. If you tell your servers to use cloudflare's DNS, they will never use your local DNS. Any configurations or settings that rely on a local hostname will break since it can't be resolved. You'd have to go through and change it all to IP addresses.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:53 PM, KevinBS05 said:

So I just watched the video on using 1.1.1.1 dns servers instead to speed up your internet.  I have colo servers in the local data center, would it be even better to use those for private dns servers?

Lol, your opening a can of worms with a personal DNS.