Evga g2 750W vs Evga g3 750W

NoNameGuy

I have an EVGA 850 P2 and it's silent. Incredible quality PSU, will outlast the system by many years.

Don't get the Gold variants, they are loud af...

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

32 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

I have an EVGA 850 P2 and it's silent. Incredible quality PSU, will outlast the system by many years.

Don't get the Gold variants, they are loud af...

...as is the 850W P2, if you want a "silent" PSU, its not as soon as the fan starts spinning...

And you can see it here:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f238/der-luxx-netzteildiskussionsthread-nicht-zur-kaufberatung-801414-74.html#post25487308

Might want to use a translator, but that guy is pretty unhappy with his unit...

And from what I know, I would NEVER ever recommend a Super Flower unit for someone who wants a silent PC ever again!

Because all the Super Flower units I have here are not.

They are only in the somewhat OKish region, but not on the quieter side, quite the opposite.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

If you want a guaranteed 'quiet' psu, just get something with an eco fan mode.  It's also nice because it preserves the fan. 
I know my GQ 650 would be just as loud as my BQ 850 if the fan ever needed to rev up.  Thankfully my power consumption never quite gets that high.  It may turn on during load but chances are the sounds of my game would drown it out.

For the OP, the G2 and G3 are both fine.  I like the G3 because it's a tad smaller, but I hear the G2 has a little more muscle.

8 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

If you want a guaranteed 'quiet' psu, just get something with an eco fan mode.  It's also nice because it preserves the fan. 
I know my GQ 650 would be just as loud as my BQ 850 if the fan ever needed to rev up.  Thankfully my power consumption never quite gets that high.  It may turn on during load but chances are the sounds of my game would drown it out.

For the OP, the G2 and G3 are both fine.  I like the G3 because it's a tad smaller, but I hear the G2 has a little more muscle.

The eco fan mode is just EVGA's aweful branding for the semi passive mode on their PSU. 

It's better to just save money and get a quiet 450-550W PSU than to get a silly high wattage PSU to keep it quiet. 

:)

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The eco fan mode is just EVGA's aweful branding for the semi passive mode on their PSU. 

It's better to just save money and get a quiet 450-550W PSU than to get a silly high wattage PSU to keep it quiet. 

Fanless or a fan that is always on but just isn't that noisy?  I just never found PSU fans to be quiet.  You're going to hear a PSU fan when it is being stressed out, unless you got a really high end PSU fan.

I agree with the better lower wattage PSU philosophy though, because wattage draw is often way overestimated and you want something that will last. 

Just now, Biggerboot said:

Fanless or a fan that is always on but just isn't that noisy?  I just never found PSU fans to be quiet, even high end ones.  You're going to hear a PSU fan when it is being stressed out, unless you got a really high end PSU fan.

I agree with the better lower wattage philosophy though, because wattage draw is often way overestimated and you want something that will last. 

Many high end PSUs have high RPM fans at fairly low loads. The Be Quiet PSUs, for example, have fans that always run, yet they are among the quietest PSUs in their class. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=22&volts=1

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Many high end PSUs have high RPM fans at fairly low loads. The Be Quiet PSUs, for example, have fans that always run, yet they are among the quietest PSUs in their class. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=22&volts=1

I wish Be Quiet psu's were more readily available around here.

Thanks for that link though.  I still like the idea of preserving the fan, but I won't argue against just having a better fan in the PSU in the first place.

17 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

...as is the 850W P2, if you want a "silent" PSU, its not as soon as the fan starts spinning...

And you can see it here:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f238/der-luxx-netzteildiskussionsthread-nicht-zur-kaufberatung-801414-74.html#post25487308

Might want to use a translator, but that guy is pretty unhappy with his unit...

And from what I know, I would NEVER ever recommend a Super Flower unit for someone who wants a silent PC ever again!

Because all the Super Flower units I have here are not.

They are only in the somewhat OKish region, but not on the quieter side, quite the opposite.

Don't care what that guy thinks, maybe he had a faulty unit. I've had plenty of G series units in the past, and the P is definitely quieter, and I can't hear mine at all, especially if you have fans on the case that are at least going at 600RPM. 

If you want dead silence then get a case from Be Quiet. I had a 1000W P2 in a BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 with a custom water loop and 8 fans inside, it was very silent and fans were going at around 400-500RPM. 

57 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Don't care what that guy thinks, maybe he had a faulty unit. I've had plenty of G series units in the past, and the P is definitely quieter, and I can't hear mine at all, especially if you have fans on the case that are at least going at 600RPM. 

Comparing the noise of a PSU against one of the louder PSUs doesn't really work well. 

9 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

Don't care what that guy thinks, maybe he had a faulty unit.

Or maybe he is right and you are not.

I also have a couple of Super Flower made units, wich are pretty nice ones but the Fan Controller is garbage.

And when I'm looking at these figures, it doesn't look good for you:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-p2-platinum-psu,4566-4.html

920rpm minimum, when the 140mm fan starts?? You call THAT quiet?! SRYSLY?!

I've had plenty of G series units in the past, and the P is definitely quieter, and I can't hear mine at all, especially if you have fans on the case that are at least going at 600RPM. 

Good for you.

But in the case of the 850W P2, you are wrong, it is rather loud and not quiet - as are many other super flower made units.

I have for example a Leadex II 650/750W unit - and it has 100rpm more than the Bitfenix 850W unit. So no, if you want a quiet unit, don't buy Super Flower.

The 650W P2 is better, but still far from good:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-p2-power-supply,4364-4.html

tbh:
a 60€ Xilence Performance X is way better in terms of noise than those units are.

I measured around 350rpm with my 750W Performance X.

14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Or maybe he is right and you are not.

I also have a couple of Super Flower made units, wich are pretty nice ones but the Fan Controller is garbage.

And when I'm looking at these figures, it doesn't look good for you:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-p2-platinum-psu,4566-4.html

920rpm minimum, when the 140mm fan starts?? You call THAT quiet?! SRYSLY?!

Good for you.

But in the case of the 850W P2, you are wrong, it is rather loud and not quiet - as are many other super flower made units.

I have for example a Leadex II 650/750W unit - and it has 100rpm more than the Bitfenix 850W unit. So no, if you want a quiet unit, don't buy Super Flower.

The 650W P2 is better, but still far from good:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-p2-power-supply,4364-4.html

tbh:
a 60€ Xilence Performance X is way better in terms of noise than those units are.

I measured around 350rpm with my 750W Performance X.

So you are telling me you can hear your PSU over the rest of your components inside the system?

I guess mine is silent as it never hits a high enough load for it to kick in? Maybe. both my 8700k and 1080ti are OC'ed as high as they can go, have plenty of fans and LED strips, so will check my wattage via the UPS tonight and confirm. Either way though I'm not lying, it is genuinely quiet.

Another fix for "quiet" PSU is to just buy a higher wattage one, so the fan will essentially never have to kick in :)

54 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

So you are telling me you can hear your PSU over the rest of your components inside the system?

With 900rpm from a 140mm fan, that's not hard...

And there are rather quiet graphics cards as well...

CPU heatsinks is pretty easy.

I guess mine is silent as it never hits a high enough load for it to kick in? Maybe. both my 8700k and 1080ti are OC'ed as high as they can go, have plenty of fans and LED strips, so will check my wattage via the UPS tonight and confirm. Either way though I'm not lying, it is genuinely quiet.

I've shown you proof that you are wrong, why are you still defending your position?
Do you want to make people unhappy - like the guy in the Link I posted?

900rpm aren't quiet, that's rather loud and annoying!
If the fan of your PSU doesn't kick in - good for you. But usually people getting an 850W unit wants to use it and s

Another fix for "quiet" PSU is to just buy a higher wattage one, so the fan will essentially never have to kick in :)

here we go again...

No, that's just bullshit. You have to look at each individual PSU!

There is no rule when it comes to noise!

Heard of laws of thermodynamics??

With the same heatsinks and about the same Efficiency, that doesn't happen!

I've seen fan curves of a series where the uneven watts are quieter than the even - ~500 way quieter than 600!

And stronger units usually are _NOT_ quieter than a smaller ones, on the contrary!
The ones are often way louder than smaller ones with the need for 2500-3000rpm (1400mm) fans, while you can get away with 1500rpm on smaller units (like 5x0W or so)...

Seems the OP has disappeared from this discussion.

I just sort of went through this myself and ended up getting the Seasonic SSR-650RM. Slightly cheaper and a 9.8 rating at jonnyguru.com

11 minutes ago, WoodroweBones said:

Seems the OP has disappeared from this discussion.

I just sort of went through this myself and ended up getting the Seasonic SSR-650RM. Slightly cheaper and a 9.8 rating at jonnyguru.com

Don't look at the review score. As standards change, newer PSUs that perform the same, would get a worse score. Look at how it performs instead.