BeQuiet Coolers

Debeant

I know most people don't really bat an eye at higher temps, but this thing was an absolute dog of a cooler. It's supposedly rated for 120 watts, so I thought it would be enough to cool chips with an original TDP of 65w and 95w. I actually bought another CPU because I thought the thing was running hot because of the TIM under the spreader. Well, that and the CPU had all the stability of a drunk man on a high wire, though I think that was due to driver conflicts and some really screwy UEFI settings. But in any case, really, 75° when converting audio files?

I eventually couldn't take it any longer and I pulled a 6 year old Zalman heatsink off my old rig in order to cool the CPU. I don't notice any more noise (though that could be because I'm a third deaf) and I'm running 25° to 30° cooler when the CPU goes under load. Plus, the pure copper heat sink just looks awesome.

Has anyone else noticed bad temps with BeQuiet coolers, or am I alone in this?

• What bequiet cooler
  • What zalman cooler?
  • What cpu?

Without answering that you can't get a good response

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

9 minutes ago, Damascus said:
  • What bequiet cooler
  • What zalman cooler?
  • What gpu?

Without answering that you can't get a good response

more like 'what cpu'.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I'm going to be honest, it feels like the mounting mechanism which BQ is so famous for might've played a big role here. Try to manually squeeze the cooler to the CPU and see if the temps don't drop.

If:

1) the fan is spinning and

2) you removed the sticker from the bottom of the cooler and

3) applied the TIM correctly

There is no possibility of such drastic temp difference.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

16 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

more like 'what cpu'.

Rip autocorrect

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Cooler is in the tags. BK008. 92mm fan design. Ryzen 2200G and 1600X (had the 2200G first, then found a really good deal on the 1600X)

The old Zalman Cooler is a CPNS9500A-LED 92mm. As far as the mounting solution with the BeQuiet cooler, it was the typical AMx System with the tension bar, and when I pulled the cooler off there was really good spread with the paste. The fan was spinning and blowing in the correct direction. 

I was being intentionally vague, though, because I wanted to know if others had been getting similarly poor results on other CPUs, given that I had two CPUs perform poorly with the same cooler, and both times when unmounted the thermal paste was beautifully spread.

7 hours ago, Debeant said:

Cooler is in the tags. BK008. 92mm fan design.

That's model number and isn't that well known. You ean it's Pure Rock Slim.

7 hours ago, Debeant said:

I was being intentionally vague, though, because I wanted to know if others had been getting similarly poor results on other CPUs, given that I had two CPUs perform poorly with the same cooler, and both times when unmounted the thermal paste was beautifully spread.

Its really hard to say where issue is. In all be Quiet! is premium cooler brand. They aren't perfect, there's mistakes. But overall your experience is minority. I can't say if its cooler, mobo or user issue. That would require more in detail temp readings under same testing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, Debeant said:

Cooler is in the tags. BK008. 92mm fan design. Ryzen 2200G and 1600X (had the 2200G first, then found a really good deal on the 1600X)

The old Zalman Cooler is a CPNS9500A-LED 92mm. As far as the mounting solution with the BeQuiet cooler, it was the typical AMx System with the tension bar, and when I pulled the cooler off there was really good spread with the paste. The fan was spinning and blowing in the correct direction. 

The performance you're describing seems normal. The PR Slim performs similarly to AMD's stock Wraith cooler.

TDP isn't a very reliable measure for comparing performance in the first place. That being said, what BeQuiet! is advertising with the 120w TDP label is that it should be able to keep temps in check for CPUs with TDP below 120w. 75c is perfectly safe.

What fan speeds were you using to compare temps? Did you stress both coolers with the same load? What are you using to convert audio files? Depending on the software, high cpu usage is normal.

What stability issues are you experiencing? Are you using the default motherboard settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

51 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The performance you're describing seems normal. The PR Slim performs similarly to AMD's stock Wraith cooler.

TDP isn't a very reliable measure for comparing performance in the first place. That being said, what BeQuiet! is advertising with the 120w TDP label is that it should be able to keep temps in check for CPUs with TDP below 120w. 75c is perfectly safe.

What fan speeds were you using to compare temps? Did you stress both coolers with the same load? What are you using to convert audio files? Depending on the software, high cpu usage is normal.

What stability issues are you experiencing? Are you using the default motherboard settings?

The stability issues were almost certainly related to the fact that the APU's graphics drivers were trying to compete with the nVidia Graphics drivers I had installed to run my 1050 ti. It was primarily constant memory management blue screens that improved somewhat (from 4-5 times daily down to once daily) when I disabled the graphics side via device manager. For some reason, I did not have the option to disable to graphics coprocessor in UEFI. Or rather, when I disabled it in UEFI it was still detected and used in windows.

As far as testing, I used Prime95 Blend and Cinebench. The temps shot up disturbingly fast with both, and it was only once the fan was pushed to 100% power at 80 in the fan curve that the temp got under control. I'm personally not comfortable with those temps, even though the CPU is safe there. No sense in higher temps than needed. I've got the Zalman cooler set at 1300 rpm, the slowest speed you can run the fan at, and even there the temp will never exceed 57c even under Prime95. At 1700 rpm, the temps will rarely exceed 54c. at the full 2400 rpm speed of the fan (and the only point it's audible) it'll never allow temps to exceed 51c.

I convert audiobooks over to MP3 format for use on my phone, because I like the generic app I've got more than audible's app. I don't have an issue with high CPU use. Just with temps that shoot up from 35c to 70c over the course of 30 seconds worried me. From there, it was another 15 seconds to 80c, where the fan would go from 75% to 100% power on the cooler. I was thinking about overclocking, but the fan had to run at full power just to cool the CPU at max on stock speeds, which to me was a bit worrisome.

At the end of the day, I'm just used to very, very cool CPU temps, because of the overkill Zalman cooler I've had on my PCs for years now.

Dark Rock Pro3 on a 5930K here, 4.5GHz and still in the high 70s. 

Also had a Pure Rock on my i5-2500, repeated Cinebench runs kept it below 50°C.

The BeQuiet coolers are usually not far behind the best ones in their category.  Sounds like either your cooler was badly mounted or there was a problem with it. 

The notorious mounting mechanism isn't all that hard if you ignore the instructions and have enough lighting.  I screw the nuts onto the cooler first, then mount the whole thing using the screws on the back of the MoBo. 

10 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Dark Rock Pro3 on a 5930K here, 4.5GHz and still in the high 70s. 

Also had a Pure Rock on my i5-2500, repeated Cinebench runs kept it below 50°C.

The BeQuiet coolers are usually not far behind the best ones in their category.  Sounds like either your cooler was badly mounted or there was a problem with it. 

The notorious mounting mechanism isn't all that hard if you ignore the instructions and have enough lighting.  I screw the nuts onto the cooler first, then mount the whole thing using the screws on the back of the MoBo. 

Literally didn't use a single screw in mounting the cooler. AMD retention clip. Honestly after reading what everybody else is saying, I'm thinking that the fan included with the cooler wasn't up to snuff.

On 4/21/2018 at 5:45 AM, Debeant said:

I know most people don't really bat an eye at higher temps, but this thing was an absolute dog of a cooler. It's supposedly rated for 120 watts, so I thought it would be enough to cool chips with an original TDP of 65w and 95w. I actually bought another CPU because I thought the thing was running hot because of the TIM under the spreader. Well, that and the CPU had all the stability of a drunk man on a high wire, though I think that was due to driver conflicts and some really screwy UEFI settings. But in any case, really, 75° when converting audio files?

I eventually couldn't take it any longer and I pulled a 6 year old Zalman heatsink off my old rig in order to cool the CPU. I don't notice any more noise (though that could be because I'm a third deaf) and I'm running 25° to 30° cooler when the CPU goes under load. Plus, the pure copper heat sink just looks awesome.

Has anyone else noticed bad temps with BeQuiet coolers, or am I alone in this?

i only noticed this with the AMD Ryzen spire cooler. i was converting videos and temps hit 67-70c. so i took out my old zalman cpns 9900led. now my temps don't get any higher than 59c. i've read some review, where people will tolerate high temps for quietness. im the total opposite.