xbox 360 controller on PC, problem

asus killer

I use a xbox 360 wireless controller with the MS dongle on windows 10, 64 bits and the MS drivers installed:

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/gaming/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows/jr9-00011#techspecs-connect

It works fine until i restart my PC, then the dongle is not recognized, it appears in device manager as a "universal serial bus controller" and not working, and there i do not have the option to update the drivers for a xbox 360 controller.

So every time i start my PC i have to be experimenting on every USB port until it recognizes the dongle not as a "universal serial bus controller" (and every time this works on a different port, so i have to try all 8) but as something else (sound video and game controllers i think, can't say exactly now), but still not working, and then finally i can update the drivers for a 360 controller.

I have to do this rotine EVERY SINGLE TIME :(

any ideas.

When it's working, go in the device manager and get the device ID (take a screenshot or something).

And next time it's not working, go get the device ID again (should be the same).

Check the driver's INF file to make sure the device ID of your receiver is in there (somehow my receiver has this problem where installing the drivers is a pain because the device ID isn't in the most recent driver).

If the device ID isn't there, edit the INF file to add a line to add your device ID to it.

I'm at work right now so I can't really do more, but I'll try to give you screenshots and paths to do all this if you haven't been able to do it by then ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Xbox360 controller? Ew. Mind as well grab a XB1 controller.

38 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

When it's working, go in the device manager and get the device ID (take a screenshot or something).

And next time it's not working, go get the device ID again (should be the same).

Check the driver's INF file to make sure the device ID of your receiver is in there (somehow my receiver has this problem where installing the drivers is a pain because the device ID isn't in the most recent driver).

If the device ID isn't there, edit the INF file to add a line to add your device ID to it.

I'm at work right now so I can't really do more, but I'll try to give you screenshots and paths to do all this if you haven't been able to do it by then ;)

so i managed to recreate the problem by restarting the PC. 

the hardware ids (this is the device ID yes?) was showing when it was working, i made a print. It has 2 values. This ID is not any of the ones in the .inf file on the driver package.

after restart the controller is showing again as a "universal serial bus controller (device descriptor request failed)"  and the hardware ids is just "USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE"

if i got it right i should unninstall the drivers, add my hardware id to the .inf file and install the drivers again, is that it? i should had the 2 values?

much appreciated for the help :)

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

the hardware ids (this is the device ID yes?) was showing when it was working, i made a print. This ID is not any of the ones in the .inf file on the driver package.

Yup, hardware ID is what I meant :)

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

after restart the controller is showing again as a "universal serial bus controller (device descriptor request failed)"  and the hardware ids is just "USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE"

if i got it right i should unninstall the drivers, add my hardware id to the .inf file and install the drivers again, is that it?

Exactly, make sure to uninstall the drivers, then edit the INF file.

Next, go in the device manager to update the driver and point it the the folder with the edited INF. You shouldn't have any problems after. Also make sure to backup the edited driver in case you need to reinstall Windows or something, so you don't have to go through all that again ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Is this a REAL Microsoft 360 wireless controller adaptor for windows?  I'm asking because in my experience some of the near identical china knockoffs have had WEIRD Hardware ID variations that make them behave super weirdly with being recognised and with drivers, something I've not seen at ALL with the official Microsoft ones.

8 hours ago, oFrigid said:

Xbox360 controller? Ew. Mind as well grab a XB1 controller.

Some games don't work properly with an XBONE controller (F1 2015 is one that I know of), so having an XBOX360 controller is handy.

18 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Yup, hardware ID is what I meant :)

Exactly, make sure to uninstall the drivers, then edit the INF file.

Next, go in the device manager to update the driver and point it the the folder with the edited INF. You shouldn't have any problems after. Also make sure to backup the edited driver in case you need to reinstall Windows or something, so you don't have to go through all that again ;)

it worked thanks.