Windows Print Management server 2012

What is the best way to deploy printers through a network from? I have found many ways using GPO, but what is the recomended way?

Also what port should the be on?

It depends what kind of environment you use to be honest.

I have a Windows server 2016 system running on my network for file sharing to my windows pc's and two macs, and for printer sharing. The setup I'm running is mainly for convenience and security, so although the macs can access the file shares, they cannot access the printer, which works fine for our uses here at home. I have less experience managing non-windows network services so I didn't want to enable LPD to enable standard unix/Linux based LPR network print functionality.

However, if your environment is Windows-only, you can set up sharing quickly and easily through server manager. Ensure the Print Server role is installed server, and then either find the printer in the control panel "devices and printers" > right click > properties > sharing, or use the Print Management MMC snap-in to share the printer. If you're in a domain, all you need to do is deploy it to the domain through the snap-in, but if you're in a workgroup, standard sharing (without deployment) is all you need to do.

6 hours ago, TheTwist said:

What is the best way to deploy printers through a network from? I have found many ways using GPO, but what is the recomended way?

Also what port should the be on?

IF you are going to go through the process of installing and configuring a Print Server, I would suggest deploying the printers via GPO is the best solution.

If you're not going to bother with that? Don't bother with a print server at all, and just install the printer onto each computer directly. Unless you have some other specific need that the print server solves.

Also what do you mean about the "port"? Can you be specific? What port are you talking about?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

IF you are going to go through the process of installing and configuring a Print Server, I would suggest deploying the printers via GPO is the best solution.

If you're not going to bother with that? Don't bother with a print server at all, and just install the printer onto each computer directly. Unless you have some other specific need that the print server solves.

Also what do you mean about the "port"? Can you be specific? What port are you talking about?

Thank you for your replies.   All computers are on a domain, I basiclly want the client computers to be able to find their printer.

What i have done so far is made a group policy called printing for my printers. I added it under Computer Configeration, Policies, Windows and Deployed printers. Then created a share printer.  Then i deployed it under print managment.

Withink print managment there are ports like TS001 interactive TS port, LPT1 Local port etc. 

5 hours ago, TheTwist said:

Thank you for your replies.   All computers are on a domain, I basiclly want the client computers to be able to find their printer.

What i have done so far is made a group policy called printing for my printers. I added it under Computer Configeration, Policies, Windows and Deployed printers. Then created a share printer.  Then i deployed it under print managment.

Withink print managment there are ports like TS001 interactive TS port, LPT1 Local port etc. 

So, can you explain how your printer (printers? How many?) are connected? Are these USB Printers? Network enabled printers? How is the print server connected to them?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 printers all connected via ethernet cable, the printserver is within the domain controller

9 minutes ago, TheTwist said:

3 printers all connected via ethernet cable, the printserver is within the domain controller

I would think under "Port" you should have the IP Address (or hostname, depending on setup) of said printer.

okay i have done that..... when i add printer on a client PC, it comes with duplicates ie printer_name on [server] and just printer_name  

Also the printer local name from the printer its self. Any idea how to turn that off?

If you're deploying via GPO, then you do not add the printer manually to a client PC. That's why you have a double.

Also the printer local name from the printer its self. Any idea how to turn that off?

Not sure what you mean by this? Whatever the printer name you see in windows is whatever you set it as on the print server.