O2 AMP vs Magni 3

dome3731

Hello, I have the Sennheiser HD6XX headphones and am looking to buy a better amp and dac since I have the SMSL M2 DAC/AMP which was only $65. So I'm looking to get the Modi 2 and maybe a Magni 3 or something like the Asgard 2 or the O2 AMP + ODAC. The O2 and ODAC are the cheapest for me due to shipping and taxes, what would you guys recommend?

Don't get either the modi 2 or the odac imo. Get a Topping d30 since it has an xmos usb receiver, and it got a good review at audiosciencereview. For amps, I think the magni 3 and the o2 each has some small advantages, but either one is fine.

4 minutes ago, an actual squirrel said:

Don't get either the modi 2 or the odac imo. Get a Topping d30 since it has an xmos usb receiver, and it got a good review at audiosciencereview.

For amps, I think each one has some small advantages, but either one is fine.

Ok thanks, I appreciate your suggestion.

8 minutes ago, an actual squirrel said:

Don't get either the modi 2 or the odac imo. Get a Topping d30 since it has an xmos usb receiver, and it got a good review at audiosciencereview. For amps, I think the magni 3 and the o2 each has some small advantages, but either one is fine.

Does the A30 compare? Since the A30 + D30 would be the cheapest option for me.

13 minutes ago, an actual squirrel said:

Do you know anything about the Audioengine D3? It's super cheap on Massdrop right now.

21 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

Does the A30 compare? Since the A30 + D30 would be the cheapest option for me.

No, the a30 isn't good unfortunately. The 10 ohm output impedance (should be as close to 0 as possible) is a deal breaker.

1 minute ago, an actual squirrel said:

No, the a30 isn't good unfortunately. The 10 ohm output impedance (should be as close to 0 as possible) is a deal breaker.

Okay, thanks.

5 minutes ago, an actual squirrel said:

What about the topping NX4?

30 minutes ago, dome3731 said:

What about the topping NX4?

I just looked at the topping nx4 dsd. That one looked pretty good. Though it seems weird to me to buy something with a battery if you are going to use it only on desktop.

Modi 2 and Magni 3 is very good. I wouldn’t reccomend the O2/ODAC anymore given the current prices.

3 hours ago, an actual squirrel said:

What's so special about xu208 vs cm6631a vs sa9023 or any other decent asynchronous usb receiver?

I like the big honkin’ volume knob on the JDS Labs’ Element. The dealbreaker for me was their price. Pity.

The O2 clips when using higher impedance headphones or low impedance but hard to drive headphones with it. So it is definitely out of the picture. The best new amp for like 100$ is the magni 3, no doubt about that. I can't recommend topping D30 simply because it colors the sound too much, it has a warm tone to it, I would rather spend a tiny bit more and then get a modi 2 Uber. But it is up to you.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Magni 3 is better since it just have more power. No headache if you get a super power hungry headphone