Question regarding thermal pads - thickness and heat transfer rating

Euphoria

Hi everyone, I've been trying to find out exactly what thickness the thermal pads are on the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti as I need to strip mine to repaste them as temps are getting pretty high on them over the past 6 months.
Most owners of the G1 980Ti I've asked say different values, anywhere from 0.5mm to 2.5mm, no one seems to know for certain, so if anyone here knows what thickness they are for 100% sure please let me know.

Also, with cooling something hot like the VRMs on a card like this, is there a minimum or optimal thermal transfer rating they need to have, e.g. W/mK - I saw EKWB pads are rated at 3.5W/mK but others from Thermal Grizzle go up to 10W/mK or more, so I wondered if maybe I need higher rated ones for running on air?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I've only ever used the pads that come included with a waterblock, I've never had to buy separate ones and replace them on a card when putting the stock coolers back on.

Thanks, appreciate any advice.

[Edit] - Also, I tried contacting Gigabyte directly and they were as helpful as a chocolate fireguard! They took a week to reply and when they finally did reply it was a generic copy n' paste; "This information is privileged and for internal use, we cannot give this info out to the public. We do not encourage people to take apart our products, please contact our warranty departme... blar blar blar.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

3 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

-SNIP-

Your best option is to take apart the card and use a pair of calipers to measure the thickness of the pads. In general higher W/mK helps with heat transfer but they aren't absolutely necessary unless your trying to squeeze every last bit from it. 

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

Your best option is to take apart the card and use a pair of calipers to measure the thickness of the pads. In general higher W/mK helps with heat transfer but they aren't absolutely necessary unless your trying to squeeze every last bit from it. 

I did think of doing that but I thought the original pads would be squashed and might appear thinner than they were when they were installed, so I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone happened to know.

Build: "The Cake Is A Lie" - (Portal 2 Theme)  Wall Mounted (in a ThermalTake Core P8 all sides removed)  Ryzen 5900X • 64GB Team Group Dark Pro (B-Dies) 3600MHz CL16 • ASUS X570-E Gaming • EK Quantum Plexi Monoblock  MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X  EK Quantum Plexi Block  2TB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 NVME  8TB Samsung 870 QVO  Corsair RM 850X 2x EK P480M Radiators   PrimoChill Fittings  2x D5 Pumps  Monsoon MMRS Pump Housing  2x HeatKiller Tube 200 Reservoirs  

1 minute ago, Euphoria said:

I did think of doing that but I thought the original pads would be squashed and might appear thinner than they were when they were installed, so I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone happened to know.

They don't get squeezed that much, around the edges you'll get close to the original thickness. 

13 minutes ago, W-L said:

They don't get squeezed that much, around the edges you'll get close to the original thickness. 

That's a good point, thank you. 

Just measure. Transfer won’t really matter. You won’t see the difference. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz