Optiplex 790 stutter with rx550

hey guys first time pc gamer here and ive been researching tons and tons of prebuilds to start with until i got to the dell optiplex 790 and added a graphics card rx 550.

heres my overall specs

intel core i3 2100 3.1ghz

4gb ram

windows 7 

780gb disk drive 

250w power supply (came with the system)

with everything here i can barely run anything without it stuttering literally ever other frame even though games tell me im getting 40-50 fps

is the power supply garbage? do i need a new cpu? i cant find anything reliable online about what to do plz help just wanna play games like skyrim and borderlands not even super new games.

8 hours ago, blackbudgetgamer said:

hey guys first time pc gamer here and ive been researching tons and tons of prebuilds to start with until i got to the dell optiplex 790 and added a graphics card rx 550.

heres my overall specs

intel core i3 2100 3.1ghz

4gb ram

windows 7 

780gb disk drive 

250w power supply (came with the system)

with everything here i can barely run anything without it stuttering literally ever other frame even though games tell me im getting 40-50 fps

is the power supply garbage? do i need a new cpu? i cant find anything reliable online about what to do plz help just wanna play games like skyrim and borderlands not even super new games.

AMDs website recommends at least a 400W power supply. So @Ghostsquidy is about spot on with their recommendation of 450W. Personally I'd say if you want to go a cost effective route to stick with a Corsair PSU, If you don't mind spending a couple bucks more then I'd say EVGA, but that's just my personal preferences. Thermaltake has some decent ones as well.

One thing that I would STRONGLY suggest, is that you don't by an off brand PSU. Get something that is well established and reputable. In the 450W range you can get a good PSU for a decent price from most online sources. Amazon, Ebay, etc... You can pick one up at the nearest Best Buy, but you're better off waiting a few extra days and saving the extra money.

decided to say screw it and bought a silver rated 500w psu that will arrive on sunday. if everything works ill let you know if not it might be the cpu or motherboard?

ok so to anyone who can help i bought a new power supply its actually 400w since it was much cheaper and im actually getting less stability in games i tested everything from csgo to league and then republic commando. with republic commando i was down by 5 fps at an average of 16 fps at 800x600 is the problem my cpu? or motherboard? ive already added more ram.