Advice for Riser Card!

Hello, 

i am hoping to get some advise from this awesome forum!  

i recently build a mini ITX machine to run a simple ARK server, but also for the sake of having a pc no. 2 for encoding streams. meanwhile i have now gotten the need for a PCIe capturecard, wich there is not any room for!
so mt thourgt was... can i get a Riser card and get it ro run just by plugging it into a USB 3.0 port?

i know it will need some kind of power source aswell, that's why i would like a enclosure aswell. i have found this picture on google, but do you guy's have any experince with this kind of rig?  what brands are stable / works best?? 

Please let me know :)

Best regards.

Mini-PCIe-To-Dual-PCI-32bit-slots-adapter-PCI-express-mini-card-to-PCI-controller-Sound.jpg

That's an miniPCIe or m.2 to pci-e x1 adapter, it converts a miniPCIe or m.2 slot (can't tell from the picture) to a pci-e x1 slot.

The USB cable is simply used to transfer the digital signals, because the wires inside respect some minimum standards for signal quality and all that. The actual data sent through cable is  not USB and you can't plug usb devices at the other end.

You get a pci-e x1 slot at the other end, and you need a separate power adapter because the usb cable only sends data, it doesn't send power to the other end. And, regular pci-e cards need 12v and 3.3v  but miniPCIe and m.2 slots probably don't give 12v to devices (I think m.2 only has 3.3v, not sure about miniPCIe)

Your capture card will work if it regularly works at pci-e x1 - but note that depending on your motherboard your pci-e x1 slot may be only pci-e x1 v2.0, which means maximum 500 MB/s in either direction, and if you capture at high resolutions and refresh rates, the capture card may need to transfer more than 500 MB/s (for reference, one uncompressed 1080p frame uses around 6.5 MB so if you capture at 60fps, you may have up to 400MB/s)

2 hours ago, Xon said:

can i get a Riser card and get it ro run just by plugging it into a USB 3.0 port?

no.

the riser cards with the usb ports you see all over amazon and other sites only use the usb cable as a means to transmit PCIe signals.

this is not a usb port electrically as it is carrying a different signal and thus can't be used on regular usb ports. they could have used HDMI cables instead or whatever else has enough wires in it. 

just buy a usb capture box if you don't have any free PCIe slots.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:05 PM, Dujith said:

Maybe a stupid question: But why not just get an USB3.0 capture device? 

Any advivce what's good and not too high budget ? =)

Thanks guy's well i guess i'm off to find a USB 3.0 capture card. any advices on some good ones, i have already had and eye on the AV.io 4K capturecard, but turned out way too expensive xD