Asus MG279Q vs ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR

YourComputerGeek

Hi,

I'm debating between ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR and Asus MG279Q. Both are supposedly good monitors, but I'm having issues finding good reviews on both of these monitors, which one is considered better among people in the community? I only game so i'm not sure if an IPS panel is much of an worth upgrade for me, thanks! 

17 minutes ago, YourComputerGeek said:

Hi,

I'm debating between ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR and Asus MG279Q. Both are supposedly good monitors, but I'm having issues finding good reviews on both of these monitors, which one is considered better among people in the community? I only game so i'm not sure if an IPS panel is much of an worth upgrade for me, thanks! 

do you use NVIDIA or AMD for your GPU? cause one is Gsync and the other is FREESYNC...make sure you get the one that will have the variable refresh rate that works with your GPUs...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just based on screen tech alone, and through personal experience, if you find you ever lean back or sit at a weird angle, IPS can be worth it. Even just watching YouTube or play casual single player games, the color distortion of a TN panel can be quite distracting. On the flipside, I've heard that high refresh rate IPS can have ghosting issues, which is annoying when playing FPS or other high motion games. Both of these issues are heavily dependent on the specific panel as well, but I can't really speak to specifics as I haven't personally seen those two panels. Hope that helps.

I found reviews for the MG279Q:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-mg279q-gaming-freesync-monitor-review,1.html

https://hothardware.com/reviews/asus-mg279q-144hz-ips-freesync-monitor-review

The IPS panel isn't the only difference. Have a look here:
image.png.01188e8b2a073fda7448fdb7d94c7509.png

The ROG model has for example G-Sync which is a very nice feature to have, if you have a NVidia graphics card.

That alone would make me go for the ROG model.

But if you have a AMD GPU you might be better off with the MG279Q, because it has Free-Sync, but that limits you to 90Hz.

IPS monitors look great in general, so I'd say that if it's in your budget (which it sound like it is) go for it. As for monitor selection. I have the MG279Q and I love it. My main purchasing points were the specific feature that I was hunting for (IPS, 1440p, 144Hz) and price (I got it open box at a great deal). Prices have equalized since then. I would say to follow the above advice and get the G-Sync monitor if you run a Nvidia GPU and the FREESYNC one if you have an AMD GPU. Note: Freesync only works up to 90Hz on the MG279Q and Asus customer service is legendarily garbage if something is wrong and you need to RMA.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

do you use NVIDIA or AMD for your GPU? cause one is Gsync and the other is FREESYNC...make sure you get the one that will have the variable refresh rate that works with your GPUs...

I have a 1080 ti, so i know G-SYNC, but i'm not 100% concerned if i have G-SYNC or not 

1 hour ago, Durandul said:

Just based on screen tech alone, and through personal experience, if you find you ever lean back or sit at a weird angle, IPS can be worth it. Even just watching YouTube or play casual single player games, the color distortion of a TN panel can be quite distracting. On the flipside, I've heard that high refresh rate IPS can have ghosting issues, which is annoying when playing FPS or other high motion games. Both of these issues are heavily dependent on the specific panel as well, but I can't really speak to specifics as I haven't personally seen those two panels. Hope that helps.

Ok thanks! I have Tn panels currently and i don't ever lean back so view angles aren't an issue to me! 

1 hour ago, Unimaginative Name said:

IPS monitors look great in general, so I'd say that if it's in your budget (which it sound like it is) go for it. As for monitor selection. I have the MG279Q and I love it. My main purchasing points were the specific feature that I was hunting for (IPS, 1440p, 144Hz) and price (I got it open box at a great deal). Prices have equalized since then. I would say to follow the above advice and get the G-Sync monitor if you run a Nvidia GPU and the FREESYNC one if you have an AMD GPU. Note: Freesync only works up to 90Hz on the MG279Q and Asus customer service is legendarily garbage if something is wrong and you need to RMA.

Ok, thanks! 

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

I found reviews for the MG279Q:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-mg279q-gaming-freesync-monitor-review,1.html

https://hothardware.com/reviews/asus-mg279q-144hz-ips-freesync-monitor-review

The IPS panel isn't the only difference. Have a look here:
image.png.01188e8b2a073fda7448fdb7d94c7509.png

The ROG model has for example G-Sync which is a very nice feature to have, if you have a NVidia graphics card.

That alone would make me go for the ROG model.

But if you have a AMD GPU you might be better off with the MG279Q, because it has Free-Sync, but that limits you to 90Hz.

Ok interesting, I don't know much about color reproduction and I had a 144hz monitor before, but had to return it due to dead pixels and extremely washed out colors. Are they both good color reproducers? In general how is the quality control on these monitors? 

52 minutes ago, YourComputerGeek said:

I have a 1080 ti, so i know G-SYNC, but i'm not 100% concerned if i have G-SYNC or not 

you should, Gsync is absolutely amazing and a must have once you've tried it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I had the PG278QR and it was an amazing monitor for gaming for sure.

Only reason I changed was to go 32 inch screen size.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

16 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

you should, Gsync is absolutely amazing and a must have once you've tried it.

I had a G-SYNC 144hz before and I didn't notice too much of a difference, but the monitor i had was bad, it had extremely washed out colors, sometimes the image wouldn't line up correctly on screen, and lots of dead pixels. So maybe when i get a much better monitor it will be noticeable 

6 minutes ago, ShoshinUK said:

I had the PG278QR and it was an amazing monitor for gaming for sure.

Only reason I changed was to go 32 inch screen size.

ok good to know, how was the color reproduction of the monitor? 

14 hours ago, YourComputerGeek said:

It's a great quality TN Panel, I actually sat it side by side with the IPS version for an evening with LTT Forum very own @iiNNeX , here's the info:

Which was (IMO) slightly better re colours and much better re viewing angles only.

For gaming you will not be disappointed with this monitor based on my experience.

If budget is open then I would likely buy the IPS version of it of course, which goes 144hz max.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

8 hours ago, YourComputerGeek said:

you should watch this video, it's really really good imo...

@ShoshinUK I can confirm the above, very good monitors and even side by side the colours are not as far off as you might think.

Btw the IPS version does go to 165hz, you just have to do it through it's control panel as it defaults to 144hz out the box.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

4 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

@ShoshinUK I can confirm the above, very good monitors and even side by side the colours are not as far off as you might think.

Btw the IPS version does go to 165hz, you just have to do it through it's control panel as it defaults to 144hz out the box.

hey man! Yes I forgot it goes 165Hz.

Operating System Win 10

Don't buy ASUS monitors their QC is terrible. Check ACER XB271HU.

2 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

Is there really much of a benefit having IPS for gaming? I'm not really willing to go into the $800 rage for an IPSs monitor unless it has some great benefits  

1 hour ago, Guanzo said:

Did u have bad luck with one before? 

4 minutes ago, YourComputerGeek said:

Is there really much of a benefit having IPS for gaming? I'm not really willing to go into the $800 rage for an IPSs monitor unless it has some great benefits  

It has a slight benefit IMO, not a great benefit in gaming.

Operating System Win 10

2 hours ago, Guanzo said:

I have had 4 Asus monitors and not 1 issue. If there is an issue, you swap it out.

Operating System Win 10

29 minutes ago, ShoshinUK said:

I have had 4 Asus monitors and not 1 issue. If there is an issue, you swap it out.

Ok, just out of curiosity, have you've ever seen the XB271HU? That is another monitor im considering, but the ROG one has been a dream of mine for years and now it's within reach, but I'm afraid i'll get a bad unit... That happened to me before... twice with the same monitor. And I would get it through one of my buddies whos company gets a discount, so i'm not sure how easy it would be to return.  

12 minutes ago, YourComputerGeek said:

Ok, just out of curiosity, have you've ever seen the XB271HU? That is another monitor im considering, but the ROG one has been a dream of mine for years and now it's within reach, but I'm afraid i'll get a bad unit... That happened to me before... twice with the same monitor. And I would get it through one of my buddies whos company gets a discount, so i'm not sure how easy it would be to return.  

XB271HU and PG279Q use the same exact panel, they are the same thing, only the stand is different.

i have the XB270HU which is also pretty much the same, it's IPS Gsync as well but 144hz instead of 165hz...and it's GLORIOUS