why does'nt my gpu clock speed go fully up?

Go to solution Solved by KenjiUmino,
Just now, shamelesscomb said:

yes... you'll were right it is because of power... so is there any point in keeping d oc?

not a whole lot.

the card will probably run into that power limit long before it reaches the max clock you set, but like @M.Yurizaki pointed out, furmark is a gas guzzler and was pretty much designed to make your GPU draw as much power and generate as much heat as it possibly can.

check the clock speeds and stuff while running other benchmarks or real games to see if the card can go any higher

hey guys

so i have a zotac gtx 1050ti mini + i5 4460

i oc'd it to 1504 mhz on d clock and 2002 mhz on d mem clock

but when i stress tested it with furmark, d gpu clock reaches a max of 1341 mhz. is this fine or is something wrong?(i'm a noob)

also this computer is powered by a 300w psu... am i safe? it has not crashed or anything yet

pcpartpicker.com can calculate if that psu is alright. Sounds like it should be fine but I would check anyways. As for the oc, I've heard that furmark isn't the most reliable so it could be that, try some other benchmarks too. Hope it goes well!

10 minutes ago, shamelesscomb said:

hey guys

but when i stress tested it with furmark, d gpu clock reaches a max of 1341 mhz. is this fine or is something wrong?(i'm a noob)

it's probably because of the GPU power limit

image.thumb.png.64fa80d155428a83a8861073128f2d3e.png

my card is a gigabyte 1050 ti OC - that is the one with the two fans but without the PCIe power connector.

when this power limit thing kicks in, the card will not clock any higher regardless of what core clock i have set. 

AFAIK this is a limitation in the BIOS and has nothing to do with your power supply - i have a 450W PSU in my machine now but it was exactly the same with a 350W unit.

i have not found a way around it yet. 

20 minutes ago, shamelesscomb said:

hey guys

also this computer is powered by a 300w psu... am i safe? it has not crashed or anything yet

Download and run GPU-z. Go to the Sensors tab and look at the "PerfCap Reason"

It's likely going to be Pwr, because Furmark is trying to stress the GPU as much as it can and the GPU in some form or fashion can't cope with it at the boost clock speed you set it to. Given that it's settling at 1341 MHz, it's not thermal throttling. If it goes below that speed (or the base speed of ~1300 MHz), then it's thermal throttling.

23 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

it's probably because of the GPU power limit

image.thumb.png.64fa80d155428a83a8861073128f2d3e.png

my card is a gigabyte 1050 ti OC - that is the one with the two fans but without the PCIe power connector.

when this power limit thing kicks in, the card will not clock any higher regardless of what core clock i have set. 

AFAIK this is a limitation in the BIOS and has nothing to do with your power supply - i have a 450W PSU in my machine now but it was exactly the same with a 350W unit.

i have not found a way around it yet. 

21 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Download and run GPU-z. Go to the Sensors tab and look at the "PerfCap Reason"

It's likely going to be Pwr, because Furmark is trying to stress the GPU as much as it can and the GPU in some form or fashion can't cope with it at the boost clock speed you set it to. Given that it's settling at 1341 MHz, it's not thermal throttling. If it goes below that speed (or the base speed of ~1300 MHz), then it's thermal throttling.

yes... you'll were right it is because of power... so is there any point in keeping d oc?

35 minutes ago, coolcommando54 said:

pcpartpicker.com can calculate if that psu is alright. Sounds like it should be fine but I would check anyways. As for the oc, I've heard that furmark isn't the most reliable so it could be that, try some other benchmarks too. Hope it goes well!

i tried heaven, it capped at 1860 mhz... which is way more than d boost clock of 1618 mhz ?!

Just now, shamelesscomb said:

not a whole lot.

the card will probably run into that power limit long before it reaches the max clock you set, but like @M.Yurizaki pointed out, furmark is a gas guzzler and was pretty much designed to make your GPU draw as much power and generate as much heat as it possibly can.

check the clock speeds and stuff while running other benchmarks or real games to see if the card can go any higher

8 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

not a whole lot.

43 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id try something other than furmark, as many gpu's will throttle in furmark to keep themselves from being burned out.

gta v goes up to 1911 mhz, but perfcap in gpu-z says vrel

wats that?

20 minutes ago, shamelesscomb said:

Furmark is a worst case scenario program. You almost never run into a situation where your GPU experiences the same stress as Furmark.

Also keep in mind what GPU Boost is meant to do: automatically overclock the GPU when it thinks can. You are only guaranteed the base clock speed (unless it's thermal throttling). So you can keep the settings, just don't expect it to hit them all the time.

5 minutes ago, shamelesscomb said:

wats that?

Vrel means the GPU cannot reliably use a higher voltage setting than where it's at.

4 minutes ago, shamelesscomb said:

wats that?

found the answer here

VRel just means the core is unable to step up to the next voltage bin on the Boost curve because the core will become unstable, thus limiting maximum Boost clock. 

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Furmark is a worst case scenario program. You almost never run into a situation where your GPU experiences the same stress as Furmark.

Also keep in mind what GPU Boost is meant to do: automatically overclock the GPU when it thinks can. You are only guaranteed the base clock speed (unless it's thermal throttling). So you can keep the settings, just don't expect it to hit them all the time.

Vrel means the GPU cannot reliably use a higher voltage setting than where it's at.

7 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

found the answer here

thanks then guys!