Seasonic Prime Platinum 850W fan noise

akb8812

So I got myself a new power supply. Seasonic Prime Platinum 850W. Now, it's DEAD silent when on hybrid/fanless mode (obviously) although I'm sure the fan will spin up eventually under heavy heavy load.
However, if I have it on normal with the fan running all the time I hear this droning noise that doesn't go away. So I just keep it on fanless all the time. Is that detrimental to the PSU long term?

How many watts are you pulling, roughly?

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

14 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

However, if I have it on normal with the fan running all the time I hear this droning noise that doesn't go away. So I just keep it on fanless all the time. Is that detrimental to the PSU long term?

Its normal, because they use a shit motor that is driven hard by the IC wich causes this ticker sound.

So the only thing to do is flame Seasonic for that fan - or ask for a replacement from someone else...

I have a similar fan from the same manufacturer and its the worst I've ever heard - only some high end 2BB like NMB Boxer come close to the noise...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I'm not sure, I don't have a device to measure that. But my specs are R7 1800x at 3.9 cooled with x62 Kraken, 1080Ti at stock, few SSDs and 16 gigs of ram (2 8 gig sticks). But it's just the cpu and gpu that take up any significant wattage.

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its normal, because they use a shit motor that is driven hard by the IC wich causes this ticker sound.

So the only thing to do is flame Seasonic for that fan - or ask for a replacement from someone else...

I have a similar fan from the same manufacturer and its the worst I've ever heard - only some high end 2BB like NMB Boxer come close to the noise...

Oh fantastic.....Seasonic is supposed to be a premium brand right?

I'm coming from Corsair which was completely silent but did lack a few connectors I needed. Such as extra EPS

25 minutes ago, akb8812 said:

I'm coming from Corsair which was completely silent but did lack a few connectors I needed. Such as extra EPS

I don't have any opinion on it really,but HardOCP,JohnnyGuru and Kitguru didn't seem to have a problem with theirs. Maybe you got one with a bad fan? It can happen with anything even high end stuff.

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

5 hours ago, akb8812 said:

Probably should have just bought an extra EPS12V cable for < $10 instead of a whole new PSU.  That is, of course, if your motherboard even needs two EPS12V connectors to work properly.  I've found that 90% of the boards with two EPS12V connectors work fine with one; including with overclock.

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't have any opinion on it really,but HardOCP,JohnnyGuru and Kitguru didn't seem to have a problem with theirs. Maybe you got one with a bad fan? It can happen with anything even high end stuff.

None of those sites test for audible noise, though.  They may make a subjective comment about the noise level if the PSU is unusually loud, but motor/bearing noise requires a near silent noise floor and an ear relatively close to the fan.  Neither of which can be accomplished with load test equipment in the same room as the reviewer.

8 hours ago, akb8812 said:

Let me paraphrase what some blue guy said who worked for a manufacturer around 2009/2010 or so:
«we don't need no good fan, we have Semi Fanless Mode»

And what Corsair are you talking about?
If you miss a connector, just ask the manufacturer for such cable, if you have a (fully) modular PSU that has this connector.

There were other reasons too, I got a good deal on it and I was given a cable set from CableMod for Seasonic.

Anyway, I hear it now on hybrid mode with Furmark running for a few minutes. I've seen a few Youtube videos where the same noise is present.

Might be talking out of my butthole on this one but I'm fairly sure PSUs like this were never really intended to be used in "normal" mode, I think it's just there so buyers can test the fan and be sure it's working rather than see a stopped fan, think their PSU is broken and unnecessarily RMA it. My EVGA PSU has the same setup and the fan is stupidly loud in "normal" mode, there's really no reason you'd ever use it.

27 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Might be talking out of my butthole on this one but I'm fairly sure PSUs like this were never really intended to be used in "normal" mode, I think it's just there so buyers can test the fan and be sure it's working rather than see a stopped fan, think their PSU is broken and unnecessarily RMA it. My EVGA PSU has the same setup and the fan is stupidly loud in "normal" mode, there's really no reason you'd ever use it.

You're mostly right.  The manufacturers know what threshold the PSU's components actually require active cooling.  But some people are paranoid and feel that the PSU is going todie prematurely if run without a fan, so the option is there.

The store is taking it back and is going to have a look at it.

I have it on hybrid or fanless mode but once it reaches a certain load the fan ramps up and the noise coming from it is actually audible over the noise coming from my other 7 fans I have in my case.

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You're mostly right.  The manufacturers know what threshold the PSU's components actually require active cooling.  But some people are paranoid and feel that the PSU is going todie prematurely if run without a fan, so the option is there.

That's not the only prolem with Semi Fanless.

Because there will always be people that are in the area where the fan constantly starts/stops while using the PSU thus killing the fan fast...