UPS recommendations for personal computer

Docretier

I want to get a UPS for my computer, it’s just your standard home gaming computer. I want one in the event that the power goes out or isn’t stable for a second or two (uncommon but it does happen, the lights to flicker as if it isn’t receiving enough power and my computer locks up and shuts off). I want to keep it somewhat on the lower end of the price scale though, preferably around $100 or less. I just want something that will keep my computer stable and on so I can properly shut it down and prevent data loss. 

Edit: my psu is 600w if that matters

2 minutes ago, Docretier said:

I want to get a UPS for my computer, it’s just your standard home gaming computer. I want one in the event that the power goes out or isn’t stable for a second or two (uncommon but it does happen, the lights to flicker as if it isn’t receiving enough power and my computer locks up and shuts off). I want to keep it somewhat on the lower end of the price scale though, preferably around $100 or less. I just want something that will keep my computer stable and on so I can properly shut it down and prevent data loss. 

My personal opinion, usually the $100 or less UPS units are those crappy surge protector looking ones that only have square wave output and are standby only.

I'd really try to push the budget to get a line interactive cyberpower UPS unit (would also be better at fixing those voltage changes). Your PC doesn't seem to need that much power under load, even 650VAish should be plenty

Just now, scottyseng said:

My personal opinion, usually the $100 or less UPS units are those crappy surge protector looking ones that only have square wave output and are standby only.

I'd really try to push the budget to get a line interactive cyberpower UPS unit (would also be better at fixing those voltage changes). Your PC doesn't seem to need that much power under load, even 650VAish should be plenty

Alright, what would you recommend? I’m not familiar with UPS and what aspects to look for

2 minutes ago, Docretier said:

Alright, what would you recommend? I’m not familiar with UPS and what aspects to look for

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP850AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000RZPK1W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1521639666&sr=8-9&keywords=cyberpower+ups+line+interactive

Should work nicely (If you want more runtime, feel free to get a larger unit to fit budget).

If you want to step up to pure sinewave power:

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1000PFCLCDTAA-Sinewave-Mini-Tower-Certified/dp/B008U4SGYK/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1521639666&sr=8-15&keywords=cyberpower+ups+line+interactive

1 minute ago, FirstArmada said:

What is sinewave power?

I also need to know this

Just now, FirstArmada said:

What is sinewave power?

It's the shape of the power wave when the UPS is on battery power. Normal 120V AC power is a sinewave waveform. The UPS has to convert DC (battery) power to AC.

It can output the following waveforms:

http://www.minutemanups.com/support/pwr_un10.php

Square - very harsh / most power supplies will not accept it

Stepped Sine - Most power supplies and devices will accept

Pure Sine - Closer to pure AC power

Most people are fine with stepped sine line interactive though.

Just now, scottyseng said:

It's the shape of the power wave when the UPS is on battery power. Normal 120V AC power is a sinewave waveform. The UPS has to convert DC (battery) power to AC.

So would going with pure sinewave over direct wall power possibly make your PSU last longer / work more efficiently 

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Is pure sine wave better for the life of a psu? Or is it just a compatibility thing that causes them to shut off

7 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

So would going with pure sinewave over direct wall power possibly make your PSU last longer / work more efficiently 

This is only for when your UPS is on battery power. While normal AC power is on, the UPS just passes through wall power.

There are three types of UPS units though:

Standby - Only use battery when power is out

Line Interactive - Actively correct overvoltage and undervoltage on wall power (does have a limit though before changing to battery power)

Double Online Conversion - Converts wall power to DC, then converts it back. Delivers 100% pure sinewave at all times, but extremely expensive and loud (because it is constantly converting power.

Watch video here:

@Docretier Most decent modern PSUs will work on stepped sine without issue. Pure Sinewave does make the PSU work less / lets the PSU keep clean DC power on the PC side. Remember though, it's only when the UPS is on battery power. It's up to you if that $50 is worth it or not. Though back in the day, some OEM PSUs did have trouble running on stepped sine (Though OEMs kind of use crappy PSUs for the most part...)