What are VPN don't do guidelines?

phongle123

I want to know what are guidelines what not to do when using a VPN to be completely anonymous.

If someone has a website that links me to some what not to do and some stuff like amateur mistakes to make or something would be great.

These are some common examples:

1) If using a VPN program and I have my account logged into the Microsoft Store am I still secure?

1a) Same as 1 but if I download something from the Microsoft store am I now not secure?

2) If my firefox browser has a VPN addon and I use a chrome browser without the VPN addon at the same time, am I still secure if I use both browsers at the same time?

16 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

I want to know what are guidelines what not to do when using a VPN to be completely anonymous.

• To think that a VPN alone can keep you anonymous.
  • To use a VPN provider that leaks your DNS requests.
  • Using a VPN provider that secretly logs your activity despite claiming to be "zero-logs". Unfortunately, privacy online is a matter of faith. How much benefit of the doubt are you willing to give a tech company much less a VPN provider to protect your privacy?
  • To use those "one-time payment VPNs". These are the crappiest and will provide no privacy at all because their business model is unsustainable.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Was just about to make a thread asking about VPNs, will post here I guess to keep from cluttering things.

What all's a good VPN to use? A couple years ago I remember Jayztwocents talking about one called Astrill, which I thought was alright, used it for a year. Stopped using it cause I didn't have money at time to renew it, and never got back to it.

With a good buddy of mine, he has Charter internet, and just the other day got a phone call from them because he torrented a movie. I've heard of Charter getting on people about this in the past, and 9 times out of 10 you can just ignore them and proceed with whatever.

I'll most likely be moving to a new place soon where I'd be using Charter, and I'd want a VPN just to avoid any hassle. inb4 someone says don't torrent, I'm very guilty of torrenting movies. I avoid torrenting games, but I honestly have no regrets about torrenting movies.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

4 hours ago, phongle123 said:

Well the first thing should be to learn that a VPN does not provide any kind of anonymity.

That's simply not what a VPN was designed to do.

If you want anonymity then you will need something like Tor, not a VPN.

It's not JUST  a VPN you need to be "anonymous" the safest and easiest way to not worry about being tracked online is not using it in a way that could expose you in the first place. 

But, first and foremost I'd suggest learn how proxies, VPN's, tunnels and Tor works. If you learn how all these work, you'll be able to work them a lot better to your advantage. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

7 hours ago, BadluckBrian said:

is not using it in a way that could expose you in the first place. 

That's what I asked. What are some of the user mistakes that can make you be traced back using a VPN.

Use your browser in privacy/incognito mode all the time.  Make sure your browser is always broadcasting a do-not track request.  Use a blocker that blocks fingerprinting and other scripts.  Those things alone will help, but nothing will keep you truly anonymous.

21 hours ago, ShredBird said:

Use your browser in privacy/incognito mode all the time.  Make sure your browser is always broadcasting a do-not track request.  Use a blocker that blocks fingerprinting and other scripts.  Those things alone will help, but nothing will keep you truly anonymous.

Ehm, none of those things protects your anonymity.

Incognity mode doesn't do anything for anonymity. All it does is make it so that your browser history don't get updated locally on the computer.

Do-not track doesn't help because it's up to the websites to decide if they want to follow it or not, and even if they did it would not help for anonymity purposes since what you do could still be tracked back to you.

Blocking fingerprinting might be good, but at the same time those things can be used to fingerprint you more accurately.

On 25.02.2018 at 8:45 AM, Inception9269 said:

What all's a good VPN to use? A couple years ago I remember Jayztwocents talking about one called Astrill, which I thought was alright, used it for a year. Stopped using it cause I didn't have money at time to renew it, and never got back to it.

I would not use much popular VPN services. They attract unnecessary attention.

I use several different small VPN services - http://sahrzad.net and http://vpnprivacy.services

and periodically change them among themselves.

To avoid DNS leaks, I use the google DNS 8.8.8.8 in my network settings.

After these settings https://whoer.net  says that I'm 100% anonymous :) 

Browser extensions are not really vpn in the full sense. This is essentially a proxy. I do not trust them.