Will Asus Rampage II Extreme support Intel Xeon X5690?

NoobCube

Hello!

I don't have money to buy new PC...So I want to upgrade.

I have I7-920 CPU now, 12GB RAM (corsair 1333mhz) memory, Asus gtx660ti GPU.

Asus Rampage II Extreme MB

I always wanted to get i7-990x CPU because its the maximum I can have so it would be a great relief to my perfectionism but the prices are way too high for such old CPU and for some reason it never got cheaper even after all that time.

I also don't want to OC it.

I was looking on eBay and found Intel Xeon X5690 for 125$ and as far as I understand its the same as 990x (??)

And because I don't know too much about all this stuff, I need an advice...

-Will this Xeon work on my PC?

-Will I have to change any other parts? like RAM or something?

-Why Xeon is so cheap?

-Have you ever bought used Xeon from eBay (this item is from China), if yes is it ok? or it can be scam? How long can I expect it to work before it will die?

-Also why sellers have so much units to sell? like 27 etc? where they got all those?

-What can I expect when I buy used CPU? I saw that people open the top covers etc. what is the worst case?

Thank you!

btw, is there any 24GB triple channel memory kits for my MB?

Also, is there any better alternative than X5690?

Not too sure if it can support this, but i'd go with x5650/60/70 as that motherboard supports overclocking, and your xeon can just OC to better than x5690. I've seen an x5650 on 4GHZ at 1.4v before!

Why you think it may not support x5690?

Intel compare shows that they are the same except clock speed...

Should be fine.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, NoobCube said:

Hello!

I always wanted to get i7-990x CPU because its the maximum I can have so it would be a great relief to my perfectionism but the prices are way too high for such old CPU and for some reason it never got cheaper even after all that time.

I was looking on eBay and found Intel Xeon X5690 for 125$ and as far as I understand its the same as 990x (??)

-Why Xeon is so cheap?

-Have you ever bought used Xeon from eBay (this item is from China), if yes is it ok? or it can be scam? How long can I expect it to work before it will die?

-Also why sellers have so much units to sell? like 27 etc? where they got all those?

-What can I expect when I buy used CPU? I saw that people open the top covers etc. what is the worst case?

Thank you!

Here is the CPU list for the board: https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/RAMPAGE-II-EXTREME/HelpDesk_CPU/

Xeon is not listed, However It will run fine on any 1366 set.

That CPU is no longer made, When it first launched it was close to 2K. I would check the seller out and see if he/she is legit. Some Ebay sellers are actual retail stores like NewEgg(Who is also on Ebay), Which would be the reason they have allot of stock.

It's also likely that is OEM version, another reason why it is cheap.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

2 hours ago, Revan654 said:

That CPU is no longer made, When it first launched it was close to 2K. I would check the seller out and see if he/she is legit. Some Ebay sellers are actual retail stores like NewEgg(Who is also on Ebay), Which would be the reason they have allot of stock.

The x5690 is "cheap" (it actually isn't, more later) because it comes from tons of decommissioned servers. 

I have a Rampage II Extreme with an e5649 in it, and I've had lots of other xeons in it it, including a w3680. I would be very surprised if the x5690 doesn't work.

3 hours ago, NoobCube said:

Okay, I get this with the i7 920 (BCLK OC can be a bit complicated if you don't want to get too much into it), but I'll give you another suggestion here - check out the w3680. About half the price of the x5690, unlocked multiplier (so you can OC it by upping Vcore a tiny bit(1.35V is safe and usually enough for 4GHz unless you are really unlucky) and just raising the multiplier). At stock its 133 MHz slower. 

I have ordered ~15 xeons for this platform and never had any issues, all worked just as they should.

Just get 6 identical 4 GB modules, works just fine for me. If you already have 4GB DIMMs try finding similar rated ones.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

• 9 months later...
On 2/25/2018 at 12:51 AM, NoobCube said:

Hello!

-Why Xeon is so cheap?

Thank you!

Support all 4 xenon i try and running fine over one year now with e5645 6 core overclocked at 3.2 ghz  even with original bios also you may consider once the have xenon installed you can buy server memory is cheaper 

Official xenon is supported by Asus but workers just fine if you wish i can post print screens with cpu z