Lower FPS than what it used to be.

La_Basura

Computer Specs:
Gtx 1060 6gb OCV1
I7-6700K 4.0ghz
HyperX Fury Kingston 16gb DDR4
ASUS H170 PRO MOBO
EVGA SUPERNOVA 650W 80+ GOLD

Lately, I've been realizing that my PC underperforms than what it used to. OW I was able to easily run it at Ultra (Second Highest Preset) with 120-150 fps but now it's dropped to the range of 80fps-120. Rainbow Six Siege runs at 70 fps on ultra when it used to run 100+. Witcher 3 I was able to run it at 60 fps ultra (without hairworks) but now it's running at 60 fps on high? Pretty much it's running all the games like I have it on ultra preset when it shouldn't? I've tried using DDU. Monitored the GPU and CPU to be at their normal temps. Even cleaned out the PC just to be extra sure? Anybody know what it could be? Or maybe I'm just over my head about it?

this worked for me "goto the exe you're trying to play, right-click >> properties >> compatibility >> disable fullscreen optimizations"

i had a similar issue myself

When is the last time you restarted your PC? Are the drivers updated? 

Do you have anything open in the background? Chrome drops my fps. Worse comes to worse you can try a fresh install of windows

1 hour ago, hammyboy31 said:

When is the last time you restarted your PC? Are the drivers updated? 

I'm sure I restarted the PC yesterday when I had to downloaded an update for a tablet I just got not too long ago. Yeah I have the latest drivers for Nvidia.

37 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Do you have anything open in the background? Chrome drops my fps. Worse comes to worse you can try a fresh install of windows

No, I only have discord really running in the background, but even then before it was working just fine with it in the back?

It is possible that the Meltdown/Spectre patches are affecting your gaming performance.  It may vary game to game, but everything from drivers, to CPU microcode to the Windows Kernel are being patched and these patches come with a performance hit.  Depending on the speed the patches roll out you may just be getting some now.  Initial patches are likely to be unoptimized with faster workaround coming later.

3 hours ago, ShredBird said:

It is possible that the Meltdown/Spectre patches are affecting your gaming performance.  It may vary game to game, but everything from drivers, to CPU microcode to the Windows Kernel are being patched and these patches come with a performance hit.  Depending on the speed the patches roll out you may just be getting some now.  Initial patches are likely to be unoptimized with faster workaround coming later.

Oh dang, I thought those patches were optional or haven’t even came out yet... Are these patches in the form of a windows update or?

Some are part of a Windows update, some require UEFI to work.  Some are just new versions of software, for example Nvidia's new drivers have some protections.  You can download a tool called inSpectre to see what patches are installed and enabled.  You can even disable them if you want, might be something to try.

1 hour ago, ShredBird said:

Some are part of a Windows update, some require UEFI to work.  Some are just new versions of software, for example Nvidia's new drivers have some protections.  You can download a tool called inSpectre to see what patches are installed and enabled.  You can even disable them if you want, might be something to try.

Yeah I’ll make sure to try, I’ll update this topic if I come across anything.

10 hours ago, ShredBird said:

So I downloaded inspectre and I disabled Meltdown protection but it still performed the same. Also, it said that some of my hardware isn't updated for Spectre protection? I'll link the image. My performance is good and so is my protection against meltdown.

Screenshot (3).png

41 minutes ago, La_Basura said:

So I downloaded inspectre and I disabled Meltdown protection but it still performed the same. Also, it said that some of my hardware isn't updated for Spectre protection? I'll link the image. My performance is good and so is my protection against meltdown.

Screenshot (3).png

That's normal.  Meltdown they can patch with a Windows update.  Spectre needs a UEFI flash to work.  Intel botched the first round of updates with buggy code, Intel 6th gen is the first round of processors to get the fix.  Just keep an eye out for UEFI flashes for your mobo.

Sorry your performance didn't go up.

1 minute ago, ShredBird said:

That's normal.  Meltdown they can patch with a Windows update.  Spectre needs a UEFI flash to work.  Intel botched the first round of updates with buggy code, Intel 6th gen is the first round of processors to get the fix.  Just keep an eye out for UEFI flashes for your mobo.

Sorry your performance didn't go up.

It's all good, it was worth the shot! Thanks for trying!