2 monitor setup with laptop

MoeDee
2 hours ago, MoeDee said:

that is my laptop and btw thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, DieselWeasel said:

I mean it's possible that you have DVI, but it's not common. And the quick google search for the model of your laptop doesn't give me the final answer. 

HP_Probook_6460B_6__51413.1503327343.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

If this is your laptop then the that black connector at the back is VGA

but does my laptop only have vga or it has hdmi as well and if it does which type does it have

6 hours ago, MoeDee said:

but does my laptop only have vga or it has hdmi as well and if it does which type does it have

I don't think it has HDMI at all... I think that the connector next to the the USBs on the right side is a Display Port

YERc07CYQNiPWwTHNADC4Q.png

DisplayPortPort_BK_01.jpg 

Because the laptop was made in 2011 I'm guessing that the version of the DisplayPort they put in is 1.2

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

4 hours ago, DieselWeasel said:

I don't think it has HDMI at all... I think that the connector next to the the USBs on the right side is a Display Port

YERc07CYQNiPWwTHNADC4Q.png

DisplayPortPort_BK_01.jpg 

Because the laptop was made in 2011 I'm guessing that the version of the DisplayPort they put in is 1.2

i dont know shit about this but can use that display port to hdmi or i cant.

1 hour ago, MoeDee said:

i dont know shit about this but can use that display port to hdmi or i cant.

Yes, you can get a DP to HDMI adapter or cable

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

9 hours ago, DieselWeasel said:

Yes, you can get a DP to HDMI adapter or cable

i wanted to ask another thing, people said i can either use synergy or input director but they said input director will have input delay so i wanted to know on which screen will it have the input delay the external or the laptop screen or should i just use synergy. Please correct me if i am wrong cuz i know nothing about this 2 monitor setup stuff.

5 hours ago, MoeDee said:

i wanted to ask another thing, people said i can either use synergy or input director but they said input director will have input delay so i wanted to know on which screen will it have the input delay the external or the laptop screen or should i just use synergy. Please correct me if i am wrong cuz i know nothing about this 2 monitor setup stuff.

You don't need any special software. People misunderstood you at first and thought you wanted to control two different computers with one set of mouse and keyboard. (which is what these programs enable you to do). For connecting two screens to a single computer you don't need any software. All the settings you need are already in windows and your GPU drivers.

Once you plug in your second monitor into the laptop I think Windows will automatically extend the display so that both show a different picture. If windows uses the duplicate function and both screens are showing the same picture you can change that by right-clicking on your desktop and going into display setting or using a shortcut windows+p (pressing it simultaneously)

Screenshot_1.png.c8d6b3cd07302431200b7283247aff71.png

On 2/18/2018 at 6:04 PM, DieselWeasel said:

You don't need any special software. People misunderstood you at first and thought you wanted to control two different computers with one set of mouse and keyboard. (which is what these programs enable you to do). For connecting two screens to a single computer you don't need any software. All the settings you need are already in windows and your GPU drivers.

Once you plug in your second monitor into the laptop I think Windows will automatically extend the display so that both show a different picture. If windows uses the duplicate function and both screens are showing the same picture you can change that by right-clicking on your desktop and going into display setting or using a shortcut windows+p (pressing it simultaneously)

Screenshot_1.png.c8d6b3cd07302431200b7283247aff71.png

thanks dude u have been real helpful and the next time i will make sure to buy a monitor and make my setup look lit with a ww3 veteran laptop

5 hours ago, MoeDee said:

thanks dude u have been real helpful and the next time i will make sure to buy a monitor and make my setup look lit with a ww3 veteran laptop

haha, no problem