Sony HT-CT790 Breaks for the 3rd time Sony refuses to do anything

jdstorer12

So just wanted to make a post as a sort of PSA and if anyone has any advice for me that would be great as well. I've had my sound bar a Sony HT-CT790 for a little over a year now and in that time period it has had the main board fail twice and now it has done it again. I'm apparently "out of warranty" even though this thing has only been in my possession for 10 months considering it took a month each time I needed it repaired. Obviously this is utterly ridiculous and Sony should be ponying up for a new one, but it appears they won't. I've even contacted the Customer Relations department who won't do anything about it. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? Clearly my long-term solution is to never buy another Sony product as long a I live, that is a given. But does anybody have any advice for contacting them and trying to brute force my way into a replacement? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, jdstorer12 said:

So just wanted to make a post as a sort of PSA and if anyone has any advice for me that would be great as well. I've had my sound bar a Sony HT-CT790 for a little over a year now and in that time period it has had the main board fail twice and now it has done it again. I'm apparently "out of warranty" even though this thing has only been in my possession for 10 months considering it took a month each time I needed it repaired. Obviously this is utterly ridiculous and Sony should be ponying up for a new one, but it appears they won't. I've even contacted the Customer Relations department who won't do anything about it. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? Clearly my long-term solution is to never buy another Sony product as long a I live, that is a given. But does anybody have any advice for contacting them and trying to brute force my way into a replacement? Thanks!

If you live in the US, you are only guaranteed a 1 yr warranty. While it might only been with you for 10 months, if it was purchased more than a year ago, Sony has the right not to fix it. Like you said, you learned a lesson and you wont buy Sony again. The fact is, they are with in their legal rights not to help. While you could try to smear them on Social Media, that may or may not work. If it were me, Id buy a new sound bar. Make sure you write a review about this product on Amazon, newegg and other places to help customers know about these issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Yeah, I know legally they have no responsibility to do anything. I wouldn't make a deal out of it if it wouldn't have happened twice before! That's the thing, they know their product has a problem and instead of fixing it or making it right they put a band-aid over it TWICE! Sorry for the anger coming through in these posts I'm just frustrated.

2 minutes ago, jdstorer12 said:

they know their product has a problem and instead of fixing it or making it right they put a band-aid over it

Thats how companies operate now days. I mean for over a decade GM knew their ignition switches were faulty, but it would have cost them too much to fix it. Hell we bought a Maytag Microwave maybe 60 days ago and it broke. They came out to repair and its still kinda broke. So now we are not impressed with Maytag, which means I wont buy another Maytag product. Your best bet is to vote with your wallet. Next time you need a TV or soundbar, dont buy Sony. 

Though like I said Id just buy a new Sound bar, Ive listened to LG, Samsung and Vizio soundbars at the store, and they seem to do a good job. A buddy has a Panasonic soundbar I believe ti was and it sounded amazing as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I hear ya. I'm going to try giving them a hard time on social media, (already have been obviously) and see what I can get if anything out of them. More than likely I'm probably just spinning my wheels, but hey ya gotta try right.

On 2/12/2018 at 3:55 PM, jdstorer12 said:

I hear ya. I'm going to try giving them a hard time on social media, (already have been obviously) and see what I can get if anything out of them. More than likely I'm probably just spinning my wheels, but hey ya gotta try right.

I would suggest tweeting at them, and posting on their Facebook Page. Both are very visible bad PR. You might get lucky and have a manager override your warranty for you (it occasionally happens).

Also, if you paid via Credit Card, you more than likely get a 2nd year of warranty coverage through them.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)