ASUS VG248QE Red Trails Defect?

Hello,

After using my new ASUS VG248QE monitor for a few hours I began to notice a very strange visual anomaly. Whenever anything bright moves against a dark background it leaves a strong red trail/after image that persists for a second or two. This only happens on the right side of the screen in a very specific region (roughly 40% of the screen is affected). Things such as the mouse cursor or the ASUS on screen display leave behind persistent red after images that gradually fade away. 

When I watch videos or game on the monitor the entire picture is severely affected as anytime something moves on the right side of the screen there are garish red smudges. This issue is very different to "ghosting" and is not effected by slow response time. Instead it appears to be a hardware failure in the panel itself.

I have included some photos that show the issue and an animated gif that I recorded to show what the issue looks like in motion:

https://i.imgur.com/l6dzC4i.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1b5stxn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/d0idS8K.mp4

In regards to trouble shooting the problem myself I have tried 3 different cables (2 displayport, 1 HDMI), various refresh rates (144hz, 120hz, 100hz, 60hz, etc) and every setting in the OSD and Nvidia Control Panel but nothing fixes the problem.

This is actually my THIRD VG248QE I have received in the past two weeks as the other two were sent back for having horrendous backlight bleed issues. Incidentally this current monitor with the red trail issue also has horrendous backlight bleed too...

Here is a photo of the current VG248QE (left) next to a Samsung monitor (right):

https://i.imgur.com/i4BSm1R.jpg

Each VG248QE monitor I have received has had this same backlight issue where the central portion of the display is clouded by large blobs of light. Initially I felt that this was a one off problem but after going through three monitors that have all presented the same visual defect I have lost faith in ASUS.

Do these monitors even undergo any quality assurance tests at all? if so how is it possible that I have received three defective ASUS products in a row! I am thoroughly fed up with the whole situation and at this point am considering giving up on the VG248QE (and ASUS) all together...

RMA time if still under warranty and buy something that works.

And the answer is NO to a lot of QC checks. Hear it on a weekly basis where consumer hardware is concerned.

Thanks for replying. Just getting really fed up with RMA'ing monitors on an almost weekly basis now! Seemed like a really decent monitor too from the reviews. Any recommendations for a 144hz 1080p 24" monitor?

1 minute ago, Fireflew said:

Thanks for replying. Just getting really fed up with RMA'ing monitors on an almost weekly basis now! Seemed like a really decent monitor too from the reviews. Any recommendations for a 144hz 1080p 24" monitor?

It might just be your specific panel. Try for a replacement maybe?

Don't forget to "Quote" when replying so we can see it. 

2 minutes ago, Fireflew said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074GHVLZ3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 colours aren't amazing but good enough for me

Just now, Dragonheart said:

Well this is my 3rd one now. Each seems to have its own unique issue, whether its severe backlight bleed or something like the weird red trails.

2 minutes ago, Fireflew said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009642&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Monitors+-+LCD+Flat+Panel-_-N82E16824009642&gclid=CjwKCAiA7ovTBRAQEiwAo8dPcVGGYfpgMo590RMMvqq2u_y1CFJl0yO6Xj1Weznii_lJ7HpcQJ4BehoCe_sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a friend with this monitor firsthand and it seems to be a good choice. In my experience, it is also fairly durable (when he goes home from college, he just throws it in the trunk) and fairly cheap.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I've had motherboards with bits missing that should be intact, TV's that don't work as advertised, DOA RAM, etc. The list is endless and no tech company really listens to it's customers. Personally I use LG monitors and they've never let me down. Might be worth looking into.

1 minute ago, Assassinguy2623 said:

Cool thanks for that, it's another ASUS however so i'm very cautious about that. Been eyeing up the Acer Predator XB2 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5OD4S1/) but it's pretty pricey and there doesn't seem to be many reviews on it (plenty of youtube videos but only 1 or 2 in English).

4 minutes ago, Dragonheart said:

I think the poor guy has had enough of the RMA procedure after 3 attempts. I would have torn my hair out in frustration by now and kicked a cat.

3 minutes ago, Fireflew said:

Cool thanks for that, it's another ASUS however so i'm very cautious about that. Been eyeing up the Acer Predator XB2 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5OD4S1/) but it's pretty pricey and there doesn't seem to be many reviews on it (plenty of youtube videos but only 1 or 2 in English).

Acer makes some good hardware. I'd be very wary of Asus after the hassle you've been through.

Might just be a faulty batch though. Heard of that happening before.

Oh, and the complaints regarding your monitor on Google are endless.

5 minutes ago, Fireflew said:

Well this is my 3rd one now. Each seems to have its own unique issue, whether its severe backlight bleed or something like the weird red trails.

In that case, yeah, might be something wrong with the product itself :D

Don't forget to "Quote" when replying so we can see it. 

Just now, Clem Fandango said:

I think the poor guy has had enough of the RMA procedure after 3 attempts. I would have torn my hair out in frustration by now and kicked a cat.

xD you're dead on the money there (but replace cat with a cardboard box :P)

1 minute ago, Dragonheart said:

In that case, yeah, might be something wrong with the product itself :D

I'm leaning towards a dodgy batch as the monitor itself seems to have plenty of glowing reviews. But honestly it's impossible to say where the issue lies, could be with ASUS directly, with the Amazon warehouse it was stored in or an angry delivery man who threw it into the back of the van!

I'd love to know what caused this particular issue though with the red trails/after image. It's so weird and iv'e never encountered anything like it before on a display. Doesn't seem to be anything about it online either.

Just now, Fireflew said:

I'm leaning towards a dodgy batch as the monitor itself seems to have plenty of glowing reviews. But honestly it's impossible to say where the issue lies, could be with ASUS directly, with the Amazon warehouse it was stored in or an angry delivery man who threw it into the back of the van!

Or the disillusioned factory worker :dry:

4 minutes ago, Fireflew said:

I'd love to know what caused this particular issue though with the red trails/after image. It's so weird and iv'e never encountered anything like it before on a display. Doesn't seem to be anything about it online either.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/red-screen-lines-checkers-over-60hz.18537877/

Might be a fix here:

1 minute ago, Clem Fandango said:

Hmmm, going by the screenshot they posted my issue is very different to that. That gif I posted gives the best impression of what it looks like. It doesn't cover the whole screen only the right side and only when something moves (so it severely effects video/games). Thanks for trying though :)

Just now, Fireflew said:

Hmmm, going by the screenshot they posted my issue is very different to that. That gif I posted gives the best impression of what it looks like. It doesn't cover the whole screen only the right side and only when something moves (so it severely effects video/games). Thanks for trying though :)

See the other link I posted :)

Personally I'd wash my hands of it and purchase a different brand.

No one should have the frustration of trying to fix new hardware.

Iv'e come across that article already and tried everything on it XD. I think your right though about moving on to a different brand.

3 minutes ago, Fireflew said:

Iv'e come across that article already and tried everything on it XD. I think your right though about moving on to a different brand.

Well at least you've tried every avenue which is only a good thing. Some wouldn't even bother going that far.

Send back the offending monitor and get something that won't cause you hassle. Personally I'd bill Asus for the time spent on the damn thing ;)

xD I've sent them an email explaining the issue too but I doubt they will even care.