Suggestions on converting a nice gaming PC to a mining rig.

14 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

I was always seeing the medium price of 15k for all my calculations, the 19k I knew was way to high, but it was being pretty steady around 15k so I used those numbers in my estimate, I'm way down, about 2/3rd now so 3 months payback will now be 4 months, no one should have considered the 19k high as a realistic stable number for now, it may return later this year, time will tell on that, I actually have on order 2 more cards right now and was prepping to build a second tower using a Ryzen 1600 (because they where pre-crash pulling like 2-3 bucks a day, but not sure I want to place that order now, but I need something to run the other 2 cards with and I'd rather put the money into a ryzen system then riser cards, the riser cards are spent money, the Ryzen system can pay for itself and be resold at half it's value later on.

I hear ya, I'm only in $750 so far, for the 1080 ti, a psu splitter, and six risers. I just need a psu if I go the dual psu route. 

Im going to try what I have now and see how it goes. I can't really count my system because that was already sunk money over a year ago. My idiot self should have been mining for the last year instead of now. 

Im a dummy, the nicehash simplified it for a beginner. That may be part of the crash, too many people jumping in at once.

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case

4 minutes ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

I hear ya, I'm only in $750 so far, for the 1080 ti, a psu splitter, and six risers. I just need a psu if I go the dual psu route. 

Im going to try what I have now and see how it goes. I can't really count my system because that was already sunk money over a year ago. My idiot self should have been mining for the last year instead of now. 

Im a dummy, the nicehash simplified it for a beginner. That may be part of the crash, too many people jumping in at once.

I'm only a few weeks behind you, I didn't start seriously mining until like a week or so before Christmas, I initially went back to Nicehash on Christmas and in the last week or so really got dialed in on the settings and things I posted earlier, I still have my old laptop rocking away earning a buck or so a day at these low values, I switched my main rig over to zPool using a miner someone built based off of the legacy miner but with a bunch of other mining apps built in so it supports the Phi algo which is currently paying just a bit more then even the Nist5 does, when Bitcoin was at 14k I was earning the better part of 20 bucks a day for my 2 1080ti's now i'm somewhere around 14 which is about where I started with Nicehash miner 2

2 hours ago, knightslugger said:

1080ti runs at about 200w when tuned, 250w full tilt. 1080's i imagine are about 150w each with a tune.

According to my kill a watt, I'm running 475 watts on the full system while mining. That is with the power set to 75%,  +200 core, and +600 memory.

if I can get them all powered off my one psu, it should be safe to run while I decide how I want to move forward, wouldn't you think?

Id probably be around 650 watts on my 850 watt Evga psu. I know they say to stay no more than 80% full wattage.

I very rarely game any more. I'd just not mine at all while I play a game, and be sure to set afterburner when I start the mining. 

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case

I have a 1080ti on the motherboard and 2 gtx 1080 on risers. Nicehash is saying I can't use the 1080's. What do I need to do to get them going? 

I assume it's drivers, but I installed them. On  device manager the two 1080's do have exclamation points on them, but when I try to reinstall the driver it says it's up to date.

It was me being dumb. Im doing a test run before I make my final setup. I forgot to plug in the power.

I only had the risers and the pci slots plugged in. The still showed up in device manager for some reason.

Here it is. It's not put back together yet.

02B25699-CEA6-4C53-824A-37503694FD19.jpeg

B39E55AB-4183-4990-AC97-5D4956C0203C.jpeg

Holy sh!t. I just  got my three cards running. I also updated nicehash.

Evga Gtx 1080 ti gaming sc2
Msi armor gtx 1080
Msi armor gtx 1080

I don't believe it. It's saying my  daily estimated payout running $18-20 a day.

That has to be off.

17 minutes ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

Holy sh!t. I just  got my three cards running. I also updated nicehash.

Evga Gtx 1080 ti gaming sc2
Msi armor gtx 1080
Msi armor gtx 1080

I don't believe it. It's saying my  daily estimated payout running $18-20 a day.

That has to be off.

The estimated payout is sometimes off because the coins value vary (sometimes by a lot) and it can sometimes over-estimate. Let it run for roughly 24h and see how much you actually mined, that should be more accurate in the long term.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !