Is this amount of IPS glow normal?

VSTOLL

Hello guys,

First, sorry for this topic, there's probably a huge amount of people asking the same thing, but I want to make sure because I paid quite a lot in this monitor and I want it to be as good as possible.

I tried to place the camera on the same position that my head is when I'm using the PC;

I also tried to set the camera to try to capture the same amount of light that my eyes see in the same situation;

The room is pitch black and the only source of light is the monitor (and some little leds from the keyboard);

When I take a step or two back, the glow pretty much vanishes, but when I'm working or watching videos closer to the monitor, they get a noticeable.

I think the bottom right corner is the strongest, but on the photo it shows that the brightest glow is the top left.

I took a photo with the ISO set to 800 (Image 2) to be able to identify the brighter spots easier. The picture with the ISO set to 100 is closer to reality.

Image 1: ISO 100 F5 0.8

Image 2: ISO 800 F5 0.8

Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

this much is not normal for a decent IPS pannel. That much light bleed must be a defect I think. In the 600-700 price range this is unacceptable IMO.

22 minutes ago, Ansger said:

this much is not normal for a decent IPS pannel. That much light bleed must be a defect I think. In the 600-700 price range this is unacceptable IMO.

Are you taking into consideration the picture with ISO set to 100 or 800? The one that is closer to real is the one with ISO set to 100. I took one with the ISO set to 800 to make things clearer only.

Btw, that's not backlight bleed, if it was, I would totally return it. There's only one spot with BLB and I managed to reduce it a lot by massaging the panel, now it's pretty much unnoticeable.

2 minutes ago, Brett_UK said:

what monitor is it ?

It's the Dell U2718Q, really liking it so far, great colors :)

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

its more IPS glow than back light bleed buts its still ok, i get it on my ultrawide

8 minutes ago, Brett_UK said:

its more IPS glow than back light bleed buts its still ok, i get it on my ultrawide

Good to hear that. I can get paranoic pretty quickly with my electronics 

17 minutes ago, VSTOLL said:

Good to hear that. I can get paranoic pretty quickly with my electronics 

yh me to its a lot of money to buy this stuff lol

Thats normal.

IPS suffers from IPS glow, and its just a lottery on how bad it is.

Other panel types will also have a similar effect , backlight bleed, and again thats also a lottery.

In the end, these issues are inherently present due to LCD technology. The only way ur going to get a VDU without such issues is if u get one using a self emmisive display technology, like OLED, Plasma, or yee oldy CRT. or a LCD with a ridiculously high number of FALD zones.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |