Torrent Tracker

Paddi01

What is the purpose of invite-only torrent trackers?

What advantages does it have in comparison to a public tracker?

Generally? Public means anyone (read: copyright holders) can find your IP, contact your ISP and demand your personal information. The rest depends on your country and your ISP, but generally if they get your information, they'll be contacting you for compensation with threats of legal actions. Invite-only trackers effectively reduce this risk, but can't remove it completely.

I guess first IF there should be not so leagal stuff ongoing it is a bit harder.

But most important for me they aren't so easy targets for trolls and spammers and you can somewhat control what people are on your tracker.

In my experience the forum/community in invited trackers is better.

but a public tracker for me is where i need no login there are still trackers with open and required Anmeldung

3 minutes ago, tatte said:

Generally? Public means anyone (read: copyright holders) can find your IP, contact your ISP and demand your personal information. The rest depends on your country and your ISP, but generally if they get your information, they'll be contacting you for compensation with threats of legal actions. Invite-only trackers effectively reduce this risk, but can't remove it completely.

But you can get tracked on every tracker so only download legal content 

EDIT:

If your question is focused on Trackers needed in the tracker Tab/window of a p2p client they are for peer sharing among a specific torrent.

Open tracker just don't need a login but do the same, at least share the IPs under the torrent peers. They can do more(like logging IPs, Up/Down Rate, Files on Seed...)  but if this is good or bad is your decision 

Used both types for putting large files on a server from no 24/7 machine and work just fine

Correct me if i'm wrong, learning is a lifelong mission

Yes it was a general question. My guess was to keep the quality of content higher in a private tracker one because access is not for everyone.

Well good content will come with good a uploader so there are probably more good torrents on a open site (you don't have to know s.o. on this site) but are probably overshadowed from these crap torrents sometimes not even fully seeded.

Correct me if i'm wrong, learning is a lifelong mission