PC Shuts Off While Gaming

Tihar

I built my computer about 3 weeks ago and it was running fine. After a while however, my computer started shutting off and restarting whenever i started a game. Now in every game I play my computer shuts off and restarts within minutes, if not seconds, of me playing the games (like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc.) and it has nothing to do with my temps. My GPU temps are always BELOW 65C when it shuts off and my CPU is always BELOW 55C (I used XOC and Afterburner to confirm this) when it shuts off. I have an EVGA 1080ti with a Ryzen 6 1600 Processor w/ stock cooler and an EVGA 80+ Gold 650W PSU. Help!

So far I've tried doing a clean install of my nvidia drivers (with DDU) and disabling one of my audio drivers (someone said it might help; it didn't)

Derp, never mind.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

17 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

If the issue is getting worse, its the PSU.

Is there a possibility it can be ANYTHING else? My PSU is not the kind to break and it was working absolutely fine yesterday... 

I'd say it's likely the PSU as well. Either that or maybe you have a damaged pin on your CPU socket?

Just now, BigD360 said:

I'd say it's likely the PSU as well. Either that or maybe you have a damaged pin on your CPU socket?

Like i said, it was working absolutely fine yesterday. I didn't move or touch the internals of my PC since then and I was in the middle of a 2 hour long session in Witcher 3 today when it just shut off all of a sudden. Now when I try to go back into any game it shuts off within minutes if not seconds.

1 minute ago, Tihar said:

Is there a possibility it can be ANYTHING else? My PSU is not the kind to break and it was working absolutely fine yesterday... 

Ofc it can be something else, but thats what it seems like. Its really hard to tell though. My psu makes a click when it turns off maybe you are able to determine something like that.

Just now, Tihar said:

Like i said, it was working absolutely fine yesterday. I didn't move or touch the internals of my PC since then and I was in the middle of a 2 hour long session in Witcher 3 today when it just shut off all of a sudden. Now when I try to go back into any game it shuts off within minutes if not seconds.

when you game your power draw increases significantly.

2 minutes ago, Tihar said:

I don't think it's a software problem if thats what you're hoping for. Though you could try a clean install of Windows to be sure.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

when you game your power draw increases significantly.

I think a 650W PSU should keep up with 1 1080ti and a ryzen 5 1600 system, and according to pcpartpicker and another website (I forgot the name) my PC requires around 430W... I don't have the money to get a better one.

I think a 650W PSU should keep up with 1 1080ti and a ryzen 5 1600 system, and according to pcpartpicker and another website (I forgot the name) my PC requires around 430W... I don't have the money to get a better one.

not if its defective, consider RMA.

If you haven't changed anything software or hardware since yesterday, that makes me think even more that it's the power supply.

I  don't doubt that at all but sometimes parts just go bad before they should. If you can, swap it with another before RMAing it or tossing just to be sure.

1 minute ago, BigD360 said:

If you haven't changed anything software or hardware since yesterday, that makes me think even more that it's the power supply.

I  don't doubt that at all but sometimes parts just go bad before they should. If you can, swap it with another before RMAing it or tossing just to be sure.

I don't have another on hand I guess I'll just have to replace it 

2 minutes ago, Tihar said:

I don't have another on hand I guess I'll just have to replace it 

Maybe a local shop? Buy another, if it keeps shutting off with the new PSU, you know it's something else. Then return for full.

2 minutes ago, BigD360 said:

Maybe a local shop? Buy another, if it keeps shutting off with the new PSU, you know it's something else. Then return for full.

Good idea, thanks.

40 minutes ago, Tihar said:

Good idea, thanks.

Happy to help.

38 minutes ago, BigD360 said:

Happy to help.

Okay so I fixed it. It turns out all I had to do was rewire my PC. One of my cables (I guess) was coming loose and I just made sure they were all snug. Works fine now, thanks for the help.