Corsair K70 LED problem still exists? Calling all K70 owners

lufihengr

We will see.

I think they are using the new RGB LEDs in their K50 Gaming Series, and as far as i know there is nowhere a thread to be seen that they are faulty. Since this keyboard is out long enough, it looks like the problem has been solved.

If the problem is not discussed on the Internet, it doesn't really exist. Period.

Still, it is definitely interesting what Corsair will do with the K70 Series. If i could, i would take an upgrade on the new RGB Mechanical one - when it is coming out - i would also pay for the difference, if that gives me the peace of mind that i do not have to go through an replacement again.

Just to be clear, and to get back to your initial question - the K70 is still the best mechanical gaming keyboard i've ever used, even if i have the dead LED issue now. Solid build quality, heavy - like the old metal Apple keyboards 20 years ago - and driverless.

Edited by Sir_Fudipus
Built a decent, quiet gaming rig / Steam Box equivalent: i5-4670k OC • MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming • 8 GB Corsair 1600 MHz • EVGA GTX 780 OC w / ATX • Fractal Design Define R4, Windowless • Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD • Be Quiet! Dark Tower Pro 10 650w (worth every penny) • Noctua NH-D14 • Corsair K70 (MX Brown) ... but i am an Apple fanboy at heart. Since 1984. 128k, Plus, II, SE, SE/30, LCIII, Performa 630, Quadra 700, PowerBook Duo 230, PowerMac 6100 / 9500, PowerMac G4, PowerBook G4 17", MacBook Pro 17" • All Newtons & iPhones • maxed rMBP 15" which i use for real work.

3 months in no problems with the keyboard. However I haven't been running with the LEDs on the hole time, I touch type so I don't need the keys glowing.

Hello Guys,

just wanted to report back about my service experience for replacing.

Since i live in Norway and the only thing that i can officially do over Corsair is to send the keyboard to the Netherlands,

i contacted my online reseller (dustinhome.no), and after explaining the situation, i got this reply:

"Hi XXX, talked with my supervisor and we checked the warranty requirements. We are actually able to just send you a new keyboard right away. Just trash the one you have when you receive the new one from us, we don't even need it back."

This is interesting in two ways.

• First, i have to applaud dustinhome.no for their great customer service.

• Second, because the "warranty requirements" get set up by Corsair, i am pretty sure you can have the same outcome if you just contact your reseller and tell them the situation. In europe, that is. I don't know about the process in the U.S. and Canada. So i also have to applaud Corsair (and maybe european customer law?) for their warranty requirements for third-party resellers.

I forgot to mention that my detachable handrest also broke, the keyboard fell down from coffee table height, and because of the weight of the unit the plastic connections at the handrest gave up. My mistake, and this could have been an easy way out for Corsair, but they obviously don`t want to deny a warranty claim because of that.

So, props to everyone involved. And Corsair, you get two thumbs up.

IMHO this is just a perfect example for how important customer service really is.

Built a decent, quiet gaming rig / Steam Box equivalent: i5-4670k OC • MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming • 8 GB Corsair 1600 MHz • EVGA GTX 780 OC w / ATX • Fractal Design Define R4, Windowless • Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD • Be Quiet! Dark Tower Pro 10 650w (worth every penny) • Noctua NH-D14 • Corsair K70 (MX Brown) ... but i am an Apple fanboy at heart. Since 1984. 128k, Plus, II, SE, SE/30, LCIII, Performa 630, Quadra 700, PowerBook Duo 230, PowerMac 6100 / 9500, PowerMac G4, PowerBook G4 17", MacBook Pro 17" • All Newtons & iPhones • maxed rMBP 15" which i use for real work.

Wow, that's really cool! Good on dustinhome and Corsair!

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, bought my Corsair K70 silver with Blue backlight for my own Christmas present.

Like some others I spent a lot of time researching and deciding on what brand to buy.

I had to wait a couple of weeks for the new stock to arrive so I presume this keyboard was relatively new from the factory.

Unfortunately, Just after 3 months the backlights started dying. Have lost 7 now.

The distributor has issued me with a return number and it's now on its way back. I expect it will be replaced without a problem.

I'm now back to using my 4 year old faithful Microsoft Multimedia keyboard worth less than a 1/4 of the Corsair.

Maybe i was unlucky to get a dud but I’m concerned that the LED they use are poor quality and the problem will re occur.

They said they fixed it for the new rgb model

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I had mine for almost 4 months now. Luckily, no dead LED's :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

I've had mine a little over 4 months and I lost the backlight on the F11 key and my comma just went today.  Little bit annoying but doesn't really take away from the fantastic keyboard.  I have blue switches and backlight.

I've had mine a little over 4 months and I lost the backlight on the F11 key and my comma just went today.  Little bit annoying but doesn't really take away from the fantastic keyboard.  I have blue switches and backlight.

Oh man, I hope they will fix this D:

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this isn't a dead topic but I'd like to weigh in

As an owner of the blue LED K70, I have started to note dead LED's about 6 months into owning this keyboard. As of posting this, I have 4 LED's that no longer function/are very dim. I believe more will die out as time goes on. It is a bother for me to see blank spots on my keyboard, but 4 isn't nearly as bad as 20+ that others are reporting and I can just turn off the LED lights. 

Two things:
1) The keyboard's still worth a try. Despite this LED problem, I'd say just go for the keyboard as I heard Corsair's customer service is good. Any problems you experience with the keyboard I imagine should be taken care of.

2) Has anyone dealt with Corsair service in this thread? 

I've had my K70 with blue LEDs for 4 months now and I haven't had a single issue with any part of the keyboard.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

4 months with LED on almost 24/7.

What setting is everyones keyboard running at? (brightness and full lit / selective key lit / selective key + the cool light on each press lit)

I keep mine on lowest brightness and full lit. From what I heard having the cool light on each press kills the LED fast

Had mine for about 3 months, everyday driver, and general usage. I've had no issues sofar but like you I am wary of some in the future. 

Blue switches/Blue LED's

CPU:i5-3570k OC'd to 4.0 MOBO: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: Asus 660Ti 2Gb OC Case: NZXT Source 210 Black and Windowed RAM: Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB Storage: WD 1TB Caviar Black, 3TB WD Green, 120GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler: CM TX3 PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W OS: Win 7 Perf: Corsair M65, Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Main with 17" Secondary, a Corsair K70, and ATH-M50's.

I've had my Blue LED K70 for 3 months now and have had 2 LEDs fail so far.

Hoping more don't go because RMAing Corsair gear here in Australia takes forever. 

This sounds a little dumb but I don't use the LED on my K95 at all. I love the design of the keyboard over the LED itself.

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Asus TUF RTX3070 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3600mhz

I was looking at some reviews on the K70 and a lot of them had LED's dying within weeks of use. Does this issue still exist?

i bought a K90 around may last year. no leds have died on it so far.

At this point. in 2 months the RGB keyboards are coming out. hang fire till then.

i bought a K90 around may last year. no leds have died on it so far.

At this point. in 2 months the RGB keyboards are coming out. hang fire till then.

Only 2 more months? I can wait no problem for that :D

Only 2 more months? I can wait no problem for that :D

they said sometime after computex, computex is in june. so julyish

Computex is at the very start of june, so by mid july or early august. it'll be here

My leds still work, about 4months blue led w/ Brown switch

have mine black/red red switches and have no problem with leds but only have for 1 month

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the K70 brown with blue LED and have had it for about 6 months. Just today two LEDs have stopped working and some seem dimmer than the rest.

i5 3570K @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 670, 16GB 1600 Ram, 128 GB Vertex 4, 480GB M500, 2TB RAID 0, 2 x 24" Monitors

I'm sending my 3rd Corsair keyboard back for RMA tomorrow. 2K90s and now a K95. The LEDs on these keyboards are crap. I was expecting better from a $100+ keyboard. 

I'm going to be selling the one I get in return from the RMA. Might get the mech keyboard from logitech instead. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to add to all of the previous comments that I'm now on my third keyboard and all of which have had dying LEDs. I've had it RMA'd twice and now that it's happened a third time I'm considering just ditching it. Absolutely amazing keyboard, but the dying LED's really annoys me.

I thought it was only for the blue LEDs? 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

A month since I posted in this thread and dead LED count has gone from 2 to 9 lol.