Chrome uses how much RAM?!

Go to solution Solved by Anghammarad,
2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Reasons I stopped using Chrome. It's a real memory hog, I'd probably have to move on from my standard of 8Gb if I kept using Chrome

Try out Iron. 

it is a chrome "clone" with a lot of "sending information to mama" removed. 

And all the chrome plugins work as well.

Currently I got this forum, facebook, youtube and a flash browser game running, Iron uses around 1.2 gigs of ram. Flash and Facebook use nearly half of that. 

The times I used Firefox it always felt more sluggish and even used more ram. So with Iron I'm quite happy.

In regard of the memory usage, for example when you scroll down a timeline in Facebook with lots of images, the facebook tab alone can hog way over 1 gig of ram, due to holding all the images loaded. To free that memory, just reload the page.

Ok, so I was looking around on my old computer which has 4GB of ram using Windows 10 pro and I noticed on task manager when I literally had two empty tabs open on google chrome it uses like 600mb - 900mb of ram and I was like WTF?! I have no idea why this program uses so much ram but maybe you guys do so...? Anyways thanks for any responses!

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy. 

upper left corner of chrome, left click and a menu comes up, chose taskmanager on that, there you can see which task inside chrome uses how much ram.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Reasons I stopped using Chrome. It's a real memory hog, I'd probably have to move on from my standard of 8Gb if I kept using Chrome

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

For devices with 8GB + RAM, using Chrome is not an issue for day to day running and browsing etc, but for devices with only 4GB RAM, I'm tending to use Edge more and more.  It's a good browser, and I've noticed how much tidier it is for memory.  I don't know why, but extensions on Chrome seem to be as much of a culprit, as much as the tabs and their content themselves.

4 minutes ago, Danboy360 said:

For devices with 8GB + RAM, using Chrome is not an issue for day to day running and browsing etc, but for devices with only 4GB RAM, I'm tending to use Edge more and more.  It's a good browser, and I've noticed how much tidier it is for memory.  I don't know why, but extensions on Chrome seem to be as much of a culprit, as much as the tabs and their content themselves.

oh, so the extension seem to be a problem as well then. We'll, its not as if I have 5 running all the time on this PC...

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Just now, SimpleTechVids said:

oh, so the extension seem to be a problem as well then. We'll, its not as if I have 5 running all the time on this PC...

From what I've noticed - yes.  I did a test to see exactly how it was - first off was a completely clean Chrome with no extensions, and whilst not super high, was still more than Edge.  I then tested it with all of its extensions I normally run (5 or so) and this time the memory was even higher, I'd say an extra 30% on the basic Chrome usage.  

I am running a Surface Pro with 4GB RAM, so Chrome is a no go for me - Edge however, even with an extension or two seems to be perfect.

11 minutes ago, Danboy360 said:

From what I've noticed - yes.  I did a test to see exactly how it was - first off was a completely clean Chrome with no extensions, and whilst not super high, was still more than Edge.  I then tested it with all of its extensions I normally run (5 or so) and this time the memory was even higher, I'd say an extra 30% on the basic Chrome usage.  

I am running a Surface Pro with 4GB RAM, so Chrome is a no go for me - Edge however, even with an extension or two seems to be perfect.

ok, thanks. But if it had a 30% increase with extensions let's say that uses 700mb total then chrome alone would use roughly 500mb! I still wonder why this is...

Gonna get up againnnn.

1 minute ago, SimpleTechVids said:

ok, thanks. But if it had a 30% increase with extensions let's say that uses 700mb total then chrome alone would use roughly 500mb! I still wonder why this is...

It's a good question, one I've been trying to understand myself.  I don't know whether it's just plain memory leak on their behalf or not, but I've also seen that the new Firefox is also much better in memory consumption.

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Try out Iron. 

Currently I got this forum, facebook, youtube and a flash browser game running, Iron uses around 1.2 gigs of ram. Flash and Facebook use nearly half of that. 

The times I used Firefox it always felt more sluggish and even used more ram. So with Iron I'm quite happy.

In regard of the memory usage, for example when you scroll down a timeline in Facebook with lots of images, the facebook tab alone can hog way over 1 gig of ram, due to holding all the images loaded. To free that memory, just reload the page.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

3 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

Try out Iron. 

Ok, thanks. I'll stay with chrome as I don't use that PC anymore but now I finally understand why it uses so much. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

here to finish up a fresh made screenshot from my machine: 

5a398d5d2c508_2017-12-19(1).png.b8708c92ef132c274cfffb779fd59469.png

Iron has freshly been started. You see it uses about ~360 megs of ram just on the home screen. From that nearly half of it is due to 3 plugins I use, AdBlock, uBlock and Disconnect. 

But those I use for security reasons and won't get rid of.

Main System:

Yeah, using chrome with only LTT forums up - one window uses as much as 525mb of ram (includes 7 extensions which I use sometimes). Opening chrome fresh uses about 400mb RAM. There is a difference but I assume if I remove most extensions except Adblock plus and 2 others I would save another 50-100mb of ram.

Gonna get up againnnn.

1 minute ago, SimpleTechVids said:

Yeah, using chrome with only LTT forums up - one window uses as much as 525mb of ram (includes 7 extensions which I use sometimes). Opening chrome fresh uses about 400mb RAM. There is a difference but I assume if I remove most extensions except Adblock plus and 2 others I would save another 50-100mb of ram.

Get rid of AdBlock plus, since it has made some income from advertisers, it does far less than it had. 

Main System: