Which storage solution should I use?

The current situation:

3 External HDs are connected to MacMini 2014 via USB, MacMini connected to the network via the router.

2 HDs contains media (Music, Videos, finished projected, etc.), the media files are accessed by iTunes and Plex Media Server.

The 3rd HD is partitioned and used as Time Machine for the mentioned MacMini and my main Mac. 

The Problem:

1. If my media drives fails, everything is gone, happened before and I had to restore 1TB of data which took me around a year. 

2. Each HD takes USB, and power plug. 

3. If I replace the MacMini, well...I can't do anything anymore as I can't access the files.

The Solution:

Buy a NAS device with RAID and connect it directly to my router. Unless the experts got different idea?

The Second Problem:

1. Which NAS should I buy to give me a good setup with raid, I think a minimum of 4 drives is the sweet spot for me. 

2. Which RAID support should I think about (I know nothing about RAID)

3. Can I add and replace drives (in case of a lets say, failure) as I wish?

Thanks for any advice, tips, hints, and bitcoins.

Long Live LTT!

Make your own NAS. Setup a 8 driver raid 1 array which with 3tb or 4tb driver from MULITPLE manufactors or DIFFERENT batches and have fun.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

29 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Make your own NAS. Setup a 8 driver raid 1 array which with 3tb or 4tb driver from MULITPLE manufactors or DIFFERENT batches and have fun.

No idea how to do that.