Pocket shooter recommendation

I'm looking to add a pocket shooter to my very amateur photography set up, while I know my way around a camera, I've never had a mirrorless or a point and shoot for very long so not fully knowledgeable in the field. But I am planning a couple week long vacation trip and don't really wanna bring around my DSLR and lenses.

So when a buddy of mine sent me an ad for a Panasonic GM1 locally for around $265. Obviously I'm interested in getting it so cheap, but feel free to recommend something else was looking to not spend more than $800. 

Was also looking at Sony rx mark 3 

Just now, Thermosman said:

This would be cool, but is preorder and out of price range

https://light.co/camera

Ive seen this thing! its pretty awesome technology, ugly as sin but very interesting

I’d go for a Sony RX100 (the version that fits your budget) or a Panasonic LX100 (it has an APS-C sized sensor which is very nice for a point and shoot. My brother has one and the times I’ve used it it has been very nice

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

On 12/7/2017 at 2:32 PM, chriscaruso8 said:

I'm looking to add a pocket shooter to my very amateur photography set up, while I know my way around a camera, I've never had a mirrorless or a point and shoot for very long so not fully knowledgeable in the field. But I am planning a couple week long vacation trip and don't really wanna bring around my DSLR and lenses.

So when a buddy of mine sent me an ad for a Panasonic GM1 locally for around $265. Obviously I'm interested in getting it so cheap, but feel free to recommend something else was looking to not spend more than $800. 

Was also looking at Sony rx mark 3 

The Panasonic LX10 and LX100 are worth a look, in my opinion (together with the Sony RX of course). They are great compacts that would go where your DSLR system can't.

Have you looked into any Fuji options?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I've finally been looking to get a camera with high versatility, great options, video, and performance in a decent-sized package.

The common competitors seem to be the RX100 vs g7x vs LX100. Out of everything, I'm definitely leaning towards the RX100 and hoping to get it for Christmas or just after.

I know it's really low-budget-camera, but I've been happily using my Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82. Its versatile fixed lense and zoom make it ideal for travelling and getting all the shots you want. Battery life is great, two batteries should definitely cover one day and it also shoots 4K video. Low-light performance isn't its strongest point, though...

Edit: As the lense is fixed, you won't be able to focus manually using it, also, it can only go down to F2.6-ish...

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

How pocketable do you need this to be? for that budget, a fuji xe3 or xt20 coupled with the 27mm would probably be feasible (especially if you look through ebay). It is similarly sized to many of these larger point and shoots and will give you more versatility in the long run, since its a very capable camera on its own, very compact with the 27mm, but if you want to you can get some pretty amazing glass for it. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

On 12/7/2017 at 7:35 PM, Thermosman said:

This would be cool, but is preorder and out of price range

https://light.co/camera

If you're going to shell out that kind of cash, the RED (although it does pain me to recommend them) Hydrogen phone looks promising. Assuming they can carry out what they outline in their patent application, it will truly bridge the gap between video journalists using phones because "it's easier" and professional camera systems. 

• 2 weeks later...

sony a6500 this ccamera has 4k but no audio in and it more around $1000 unless if you have a lense then it could cost you $700 or $800