A company that makes custom diodes and transistors to order?

MrRavens

Hey guys! I've been searching around with not a lot of luck, but I was wondering if any of you know any companies that manufacturer diodes and or transistors to order.  The actually properties of it's make up, is not really what I'm worried about. The use case isn't really anything unique or specialized, so no worries about the environment that it's in etc. I'm looking more in terms of it's dimensions. I need a diode that is physically more long and flat. Unless you guys have more ways to DIY diodes or you guys have connections yourself, or know of places that do so, anything would help. Just kinda looking around at this point. Again, just a place that I can ask them to make it according to how I'd like. Cost isn't really an issue, and if I need to buy in bulk, that is ok as well. 

So for example, some PN junction diode more like the first (longer height wise parallel to the junction) and not the 2nd (more stubby, wider perpendicular to junction), and I'll just tell them what dimensions I want:

diodes.png.d186e9789c6bf527a25def2927684b51.png

Thanks for the help if you guys have any ideas or even solutions of your own haha. By all means, educate me. :);) 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Just now, firecrow797 said:

are you going to be willing to buy atleast a shipping container worth of them? and do you know chinese?

Haha ik where this is going, and sure. Let my bank account hear the news lol. 

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

The actual diode or transistor is tiny. Most of the bulk of the component itself is just the casing. There's no reason why what you're trying to get at is a problem if you're only dealing with hand-built circuits.

Ya I'm aware, which is why they aren't sold on market. But that's what I'm getting at, regardless of price, is there anyone willing to make one with certain dimensions? And I don't mean to make it sound large. :/  

also a simple google image search for SMD diode came up with plenty of results that are similar to what you are asking for

My first question would be WHY?

There are diodes in all kinds of packages , just go on Digikey or Mouser or Newark and look at all the shapes.

You can also use rectifier packages as 2 separate diodes and there's also diode arrays and you could parallelize them

Here's links to start from :

Single : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/diodes-rectifiers-single/280

Arrays : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/diodes-rectifiers-arrays/286

Rectifiers (4 or more diodes in package) : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/diodes-rectifiers-arrays/286

Scroll all the way to the right and pick some package then look at the pictures to see how it would look

and to add ... you can buy a surface mount diode with the leads on the bottom  so it's basically like this [ #--#]   .. what's stopping you from placing it vertically on the board and route the trace from one of the pads on the other side of the circuit board, or down and to the right like in the picture below

diode.png.ef9f66f8e23bbf6a4f03c7de333bd14a.png

They make ceramic capacitors and resistors like you want, because it makes sense (less inductance, or better for current sensing (higher/wider contact surface with traces) but for diodes it makes little sense to make them wide since the diode itself is really small, a lot of the package is there just to properly connect the terminals.

Just now, LtRavens said:

Ya I'm aware, which is why they aren't sold on market. But that's what I'm getting at, regardless of price, is there anyone willing to make one with certain dimensions? And I don't mean to make it sound large. :/  

Why can't you use what's already out on the market?

12 minutes ago, firecrow797 said:

also a simple google image search for SMD diode came up with plenty of results that are similar to what you are asking for

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

My first question would be WHY?

There are diodes in all kinds of packages , just go on Digikey or Mouser or Newark and look at all the shapes.

You can also use rectifier packages as 2 separate diodes and there's also diode arrays and you could parallelize them

Here's links to start from :

Single : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/diodes-rectifiers-single/280

Arrays : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/diodes-rectifiers-arrays/286

Rectifiers (4 or more diodes in package) : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/diodes-rectifiers-arrays/286

Scroll all the way to the right and pick some package then look at the pictures to see how it would look

Hmm I already checked out digikey. But I'll look around it more and give'em another call. 

6 minutes ago, Himommies said:

quick google search brings these up

http://www.eblanaphotonics.com/custom-laser-diodes.php

and lot's more

Let me check them up again. Maybe I skimmed too quick. 

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Why can't you use what's already out on the market?

I'm not too worried about the circuit, but the diode it's self. (messing around with diodes stuff, just some things I'm observing srry since I haven't been clear)

Thanks so much for the quick replies I'll follow up once I'm done. 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The actually what?

I accidentally pushed enter and it posted haha.

So that last post was kinda messy. I just edited a bit.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't get what you're trying to do other than you worked out some theory and now you want to see it in practice.

If I told you it was a big art project that I was undertaking, would you laugh at me? Haha, I felt like if I said something like that honestly, I'd get made fun of lol. :/ 

Just now, LtRavens said:

If I told you it was a big art project that I was undertaking, would you laugh at me? Haha, I felt like if I said something like that honestly, I'd get made fun of lol. :/ 

So... what are you using these for that you need specially designed diodes for?

I also don't think the actual silicon in a diode looks any different than silicon itself.

24 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So... what are you using these for that you need specially designed diodes for?

I also don't think the actual silicon in a diode looks any different than silicon itself.

Thanks for asking, so I'm using a large collection of various diodes and chips connected through circuit boards and other wires to make a design (with said materials). With lights that will have certain patterns as well, not that-that is really important. Basically to celebrate advancements in tech. I wanted to have larger physical diodes, the silicon themselves, to be larger since they're the main piece, I wanted them to stand out in a certain way kinda like a gem, and also be oriented a certain way so that when connected it would work with the design I'm sort of thinking about. 

Making a request such as that on the forum felt weird to me, since we're typically using diodes for a particular reason in circuitry. But I just want a big ol functional piece to stick on something at the end of the day haha. So ya... xP 

Then you should search for some electronic surplus stores around you, where you may buy older components by weight and you can look in bins for weirder looking components.

29 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Then you should search for some electronic surplus stores around you, where you may buy older components by weight and you can look in bins for weirder looking components.

Thanks mariushm. I'm not to sure what sizes they got. But I'll definitely check if they have what I'm looking for. 

Would a Diode Bridge be acceptable for your art piece?

Here's an example of one: Its 4 diodes in 1 package

1257_800.jpg

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

15 hours ago, ionbasa said:

Would a Diode Bridge be acceptable for your art piece?

Here's an example of one: Its 4 diodes in 1 package

-snip-

Haha ya it will definitely be in the piece.