DIYPC Jax12-W $30 case - the review no one asked for

thall320578

I ALMOST did a video review on this, but I figured I'd start with a typed up one with photos and see how that goes :D

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353131

Upon planning a Ryzen build as a Christmas gift for the wife, I decided early on to stick with an inexpensive white case, because A) it's her first scratch build PC, and B) she likes to doodle, so a clean white canvas would be something she could paint on to personalize it.

Enter the DIYPC line up of cases, specifically the Jax12-W. A tower capable of fitting a full ATX sized motherboard inside, clear side window, a single optical drive bay, power supply shroud, USB 3.0 front port, and surprisingly ample room for cable management inside.

20171128_165710.jpg

20171128_165715.jpg

20171128_165720.jpg

20171128_165735.jpg

20171128_165820.jpg

20171128_165939.jpg

20171128_170433.jpg

20171128_170534.jpg

So let's get the obvious "cons" out of the way that you get with a $30 case.

Although it is full steel construction (aside from the plastic front panel), it is VERY thin steel, which I suppose is to be expected at the price. Looks great sitting on a desk either way as the painted fit and finish is nice, just don't nock it over or lean on it with your elbow for that mater, you'll end up with some warpage... May also benefit from some sound deadener applied to the inside of the panels to stiffen it up and cut down on noise. All riveted construction, so there's no removing of the lower shroud for the PSU or drive caddy forward of it, at least not without the help of a drill and/or Dremel. Components are installed behind them simply by enter through the side once the panel is removed. Only time this may really get in the way is if you're trying to mount a front radiator for water cooling, but let's be honest if a custom water cooling loop is in your budget you're probably not looking at $30 cases... so it's not that big of a con, but just something that's noteworthy.

20171128_165835.jpg

20171128_165826.jpg

20171128_165830.jpg

The front 5.25 optical drive bay cover is simply stamped out and has to be punched out, so once it's popped out, it's out. Same goes for the rear PCI/PCI-E slot covers. Granted with the PCI covers you can at least stick some universal covers back on to cover up old openings if components are swapped or removed.

The thumb screws that hold the side panels on are, to be honest, a joke, being plastic... maybe that's being nit-picky, but how much could have actual all metal thumb screws cost to include?

20171128_170243.jpg

20171128_170249.jpg

Lastly is the airflow forethought. Although there's a little gap behind the front cover allowing for the single front fan mount, it's not going to be moving much air through it, at least not without some restriction creating turbulence. Some creative modding and cutting on the large bare front plastic cover could elevate this though. There are some little side vents for air to enter on the front cover at least.

20171128_170114.jpg

No top exhaust for easily mounted AIO CPU water coolers or custom loop rads, but again I default to my previous statement about water cooling and this case...

20171128_165839.jpg

On a side note, I found the mismatched 120mm fans on the case (white on the front intake, red LED lit exhaust on the rear) sort of odd, but whatever I suppose.

20171128_170119.jpg

It does have some air intakes on the bottom. The rear of which at the PSU does have a mesh type filter/cover, although it's certainly not an easily removable one and requires some flexing and finagling to remove for cleaning. It is the only filter on the case, the rest of the "intakes" are wide open.

20171128_170547.jpg

Onto the pros.

For starters, it's a $30 case!

It's fully painted interior looks great through the side window. It does have a neat "hidden" style optical drive bay which is a nice touch to keep the front clean looking. The 5.25 external drive bay isn't for everyone as most people don't use them at all any more, but for those of us still clinging to our DVD collection and burning CD/DVD's, it's nice to retain the optical drive. The top mounted IO is great if your PC sits on the floor as many people keep theirs, although some might find it inconvenient if your PC sits up on the desk, which most will do with a case like this since it has a side window, you know, so you can oogle at your creation :D

There are some decently sized plastic feet on the bottom to keep it up off what ever surface you set it on, allowing some good air flow entry to any bottom mounted intake fans you may choose to install.

There's ample room inside for cable management. The side panel behind the motherboard tray has an outward protrusion to it which gives a little more room for wire routing and "stuffing" behind it.

20171128_170433.jpg

The front IO has some decent length cables inside so they're easily routed to where they need to go while still being able to keep them mostly hidden. And if they end up being visible they are at least black and not rainbowed... Not braided or anything, but black none the less.

20171128_165947.jpg

20171128_170052.jpg

The included case fans have both a 4 pin molex plug and 3 pin PWM motherboard connector. If you're going to use the included fans, I would suggest using the PWM on the motherboard to control their speed, otherwise use a fan controller on the 4 pin molex plug. Full speed on the included fans will not be "audibly convenient"... They are however standard 120mm fans and can be replaced with ease if you choose to do so (I would recommend to be honest).

20171128_170013.jpg

Plenty of extra hardware included, including a 2 pin motherboard speaker! Which everyone uses these days... I mean what is this 1995? lol

20171128_170005.jpg

All in all, I can honestly say that you get what you pay for with this $30 case, but for the price it is still a great deal. Expect some corners on quality to be cut at the price point. With some minor mods like sound deadening, fan swapping, and if you want to take the extra step to cut open up the front cover to allow for more intake airflow, this case will make a great platform beginner PC build, either a basic home/office use PC or even gaming PC (although the airflow mods I mentioned should really be considered if you plan to put gaming hardware inside). Taking the price into consideration, I would give it a solid 8 out of 10 for overall value. It's pretty darn good for $30, but the manufacturer cut some corners to save pennies where they could have easily made the case feel that much more premium. I would gladly have paid another $5 on the price for some all metal thumb screws and some easily removable filters on all of the intakes, and a PSU shroud that was simply screwed into place as apposed to be riveted in. Again, something that can be fixed pretty easily with some minor modding.

Now im starting to understand why the profit margin is so high for cases. If a 30$ case can have this level of quality, it makes you wonder how much they make on those hundred dollar cases.

What it looks like loaded with parts

20171130_211735.jpg

20171130_211801.jpg

20171130_211812.jpg

Building in it isn't too bad. Didn't find any finger slicing edges, so that's always a plus. Plenty of holes for cable routing and securing, although one spot that I really wish I could have routed a cable through is behind the motherboard at the very top to let the 8 pin power plug come up and out from behind the board. You end up having to route it up from the bottom through a hole under the board so it has to run all the way up the height of the board to get to the 8 pin connector at the very top of the board... Some clever routing will secure it mostly out of sight right behind the rear exhaust fan and above the IO sheild, but simply placing a hole large enough at the top of the motherboard tray large enough for the cable to run through would be MUCH more convenient...

20171130_211744.jpg

And the placement of the optical drive and the side window has the bare shell of the optical drive staring you in the face. Have to get creative with a custom made shroud or just some vinyl wrap over the drive to make it blend in some. I plan to do the vinyl wrap route and see how it comes out. Also didn't notice until now how much the white inside wall of the other side panel stands out through the holes in the black interior, so some black vinyl wrap should take care of that if it bothers you (which it does me...)

20171130_212029.jpg

And the rear looks and feels much more premium with some METAL thumb screws used ;)

20171130_213327.jpg

• 8 months later...

I hope this isn't considered a necro but I have this case and I want to put 2 things on the table

1. DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON THE PLEXIGLASS LIKE SUCTION CUP STUFF OR YOU GET REALLY NASTY GLASS

2. you can fit ANY 120mm aio in this case at the front fan spot or in the rear 120 spot

20180804_094639.jpg

20180804_094706.jpg

Thanks for the review. Btw, no such thing as an unnecessary review.

Example - a friend got a pre-built and the way to remove the HDD was uncertain. Turns out that we had to remove the front panel - and ONLY then the HDD is removable. And there was no review, or useful data online. 

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB