Any possible way to block a website without being able to undo it?

AlwaysFSX
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,

Like Blade Of Grass said, you need to redirect it somewhere such as 127.0.0.1 (local host).

Here is what your host file should look like if you want to block tumblr:

post-216-0-88484100-1386686375.png

Please remember that this will block the entire tumblr.com domain. You might not be able to see anything that has to do with tumblr, including a lot of other websites.

As the title states, I really want to find out how to block a website. Does anyone know how you can block a site on a computer that works for all browsers and is not easily undone? I've looked around and saw a few ways through the internet options and the command prompt but they just don't work...

Go to Windows--> System 32 --> Drivers --> ETC --> Hosts and edit the file , add the ip adress and/or the URL that you want to block.

Interested in Business and Technology

If your wireless router supports it you can block it there and it will block it from all computers, just make sure you change the default password on the router or it can just be changed back to allow it.

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives

Can it be done in the router or on the ISP side of things?

ISP, not even going to deal with Time Warner, they're full of sh*t.... Our router doesn't allow these kinds of these considering it doesn't save settings anymore :D

Go to Windows--> System 32 --> Drivers --> ETC --> Hosts and edit the file , add the ip adress and/or the URL that you want to block.

Tried and doesn't work, do I need to restart the computer in order for this to take effect?

On your isp settings you can block them

Nevermind!

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

On your isp settings you can block them

Time Warner is the biggest headache on the planet, and the people here are especially dumb when it comes to technology.

Time Warner is the biggest headache on the planet, and the people here are especially dumb when it comes to technology.

can you go on your router settings and turn on parental controls?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

can you go on your router settings and turn on parental controls?

It doesn't save settings :S I've tried it several times and it used to work but I think the last few electrical storms friend my router a little bit.

It doesn't save settings :S I've tried it several times and it used to work but I think the last few electrical storms friend my router a little bit.

aww okay! Glad to hear your router is friends with electrical storms! Jk:)

Hope I could help!

ISP, not even going to deal with Time Warner, they're full of sh*t.... Our router doesn't allow these kinds of these considering it doesn't save settings anymore :D

Tried and doesn't work, do I need to restart the computer in order for this to take effect?

Yes

Okay... restarted the computer and it still doesn't work....?

It should really work , can you send a screenshot of the File in notepad and the ETC folder itself , also properties.

It should really work , can you send a screenshot of the File in notepad and the ETC folder itself , also properties.

That'll take a bit since I'm using a trackpad but yes, I can get that done.

@SSOB

urlblock_zps31c106f2.png

Try to put the Ip adress with it : 66.6.40.78

Try to put the Ip adress with it : 66.6.40.78

What you're telling him to do is make an edit to the host file, so that when he tries to access it, the computer looks and says "Oh look, I have that IP, no need to do a DNS search", but it won't actually block it.

If you want to block it, then you need to make tumblr redirect to 127.0.0.1. This will only work for the site www.tumblr.com, any sub-domains won't be effected, only www.tumblr.com will be.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

What you're telling him to do is make an edit to the host file, so that when he tries to access it, the computer looks and says "Oh look, I have that IP, no need to do a DNS search", but it won't actually block it.

If you want to block it, then you need to make tumblr redirect to 127.0.0.1. This will only work for the site www.tumblr.com, any sub-domains won't be effected, only www.tumblr.com will be.

OMG , i totally forgot bout that . Such a noob moment i had there!

OMG , i totally forgot bout that . Such a noob moment i had there!

Lol, happens to all of us :) 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Like Blade Of Grass said, you need to redirect it somewhere such as 127.0.0.1 (local host).

post-216-0-88484100-1386686375.png

Please remember that this will block the entire tumblr.com domain. You might not be able to see anything that has to do with tumblr, including a lot of other websites.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Perfect. Thank you guys for the help :D