Which Laptop?

Slottr

What laptop should I pull the trigger on?

Im looking at both of these laptops, the XPS is about 50$ more than the vivobook pro but I'm not sure the quality between the two.

The XPS system has an i5 7300, GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 8GB of ram - $1650

The vivobook has a 4k display, i7 7700HQ, GTX 1050, 120GB & 1TB storage solution,  and 16GB of ram. $1600

Are there any issues with the asus system? Or should I stay away from it? I've had two dell laptops in the past and theyve all treated me great. Will the vivobook do the same?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

No kidding, VIvobook looks like a beast when compared to XPS when only looking at specs.

Also had a friend buy an XPS 2015 or something recent like that. Something broke, but he had a very hard time convincing that the thing was a hardware defect, so it seems customer service is pretty crappy for Dell.

Not too sure about asus.

Anyways, got the specific model numbers you're looking at?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

2 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

No kidding, VIvobook looks like a beast when compared to XPS when only looking at specs.

Also had a friend buy an XPS 2015 or something recent like that. Something broke, but he had a very hard time convincing that the thing was a hardware defect, so it seems customer service is pretty crappy for Dell.

Not too sure about asus.

Anyways, got the specific model numbers you're looking at?

XPS 9560(?) - Here is a link to the product page.

Vivobook Pro N580VD

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

For a gaming laptop, its going to be hard to find a better one than this.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-7700HQ-1060-6GB-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1511156021&sr=1-2&keywords=gaming%2Blaptop&th=1

I mean its value for its hardware compared to other gaming laptops is nuts. 

And its only 1100$

2 minutes ago, HZapperz said:

Not just looking for a gaming laptop however. I would like to play some occasional games on it, but for the primary use it will be for university work. Carrying around a 6LB monster really isnt a selling point for me.

Just now, Slottr said:

Not just looking for a gaming laptop however. I would like to play some occasional games on it, but for the primary use it will be for university work.

What makes a laptop a gaming laptop or a desktop a gaming desktop is the fact that it has a graphics card in it. 

There really is no major difference between a gaming laptop and a normal laptop except the "gaming laptop" has an extra piece of hardware on it.

Also if its for university work, having a 4k monitor isn't all that good, and gaming on a 1050 at 4K is going to be a little depressing. 

Also the laptop which I linked above is ~ dollars cheaper for so much more performance. 

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Not just looking for a gaming laptop however. I would like to play some occasional games on it, but for the primary use it will be for university work. Carrying around a 6LB monster really isnt a selling point for me.

I mean, 6 pounds really isn't a lot.

Every day when I go to school I carry around a ~15-pound backpack, feels like almost nothing. 

4 minutes ago, HZapperz said:

I mean, 6 pounds really isn't a lot.

Every day when I go to school I carry around a ~15-pound backpack, feels like almost nothing. 

Adding 6 more pounds (and not to mention large size) to my 5 text books still isnt a selling point. Im not looking for a thick, cumbersome laptop. Im looking for a moderately thin, light device with a 1050. Hence the choice of the Asus or XPS machines.

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Adding 6 more pounds (and not to mention large size) to my 5 text books still isnt a selling point. Im not looking for a thick, cumbersome laptop. Im looking for a moderately thin, light device with a 1050. Hence the choice of the Asus or XPS machine.

After looking at your profile I know see you have a desktop, my bad. 

Then definitely the VIVO book, its specs outshine the XPS system. 

1 minute ago, HZapperz said:

After looking at your profile I know see you have a desktop, my bad. 

s'all good man

3 hours ago, Slottr said:

What laptop should I pull the trigger on?

Im looking at both of these laptops, the XPS is about 50$ more than the vivobook pro but I'm not sure the quality between the two.

The XPS system has an i5 7300, GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 8GB of ram - $1650

The vivobook has a 4k display, i7 7700HQ, GTX 1050, 120GB & 1TB storage solution,  and 16GB of ram. $1600

Are there any issues with the asus system? Or should I stay away from it? I've had two dell laptops in the past and theyve all treated me great. Will the vivobook do the same?

vivobook has a i7-7700HQ which is better than the i5-7300HQ also more ram and more memory and its cheaper so isnt it obvsous ?? 

The ASUS is better on paper for sure.

2 hours ago, HZapperz said:

There really is no major difference between a gaming laptop and a normal laptop except the "gaming laptop" has an extra piece of hardware on it.

Also if its for university work, having a 4k monitor isn't all that good, and gaming on a 1050 at 4K is going to be a little depressing. 

^ But this is true ^

4K on smaller screens might cause eyestrain.

When you also which to use it in word/excel/pdfs/etc.. Dell is suddenly a bit more attractive.

From personal experience Dell keyboards feel quite a bit better, ASUS tends to lean towards a less tactile feeling.

Battery life on the Dell be better, lower clocked CPU.

ASUS does offer the power, so for the gaming sessions it'll wipe the floor with the Dell.

8GB in the dell -> 16 in the ASUS combined with a more powerful CPU in the ASUS

In the end it is up to you, what matters most to you of those things.

TL;DR

How important is gaming?

Can you live with screen scaling or sometimes zooming in a word document to read it?

Is there a wall outlet nearby most of the time?

Keyboards might also differ, if you can try them out at a physical store. (If not Dell probably has the upper edge here, their Latitudes have a good KB for sure. not sure about the XPS)

Hopefully this helps somewhat, remember you have to use it.

No matter what I or anyone else says you have to live with the thing, even if it turns out to be a flop.

- Sfekke

Edit added afterwards:

37 minutes ago, connorkervin212 said:

vivobook has a i7-7700HQ which is better than the i5-7300HQ also more ram and more memory and its cheaper so isnt it obvsous ?? 

No, it isn't. Not at all @connorkervin212

More computing power = more power draw = less battery life.

Considering @Slottr is using this in Uni battery life could be important.

Screens also matter, eyestrain isn't a fun thing while taking a class. I can assure you that! (Some people are more prone to it then others)

Edited by Sfekke
Added edit section

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

10 hours ago, Sfekke said:

The ASUS is better on paper for sure.

^ But this is true ^

4K on smaller screens might cause eyestrain.

When you also which to use it in word/excel/pdfs/etc.. Dell is suddenly a bit more attractive.

From personal experience Dell keyboards feel quite a bit better, ASUS tends to lean towards a less tactile feeling.

Battery life on the Dell be better, lower clocked CPU.

ASUS does offer the power, so for the gaming sessions it'll wipe the floor with the Dell.

8GB in the dell -> 16 in the ASUS combined with a more powerful CPU in the ASUS

In the end it is up to you, what matters most to you of those things.

TL;DR

How important is gaming?

Can you live with screen scaling or sometimes zooming in a word document to read it?

Is there a wall outlet nearby most of the time?

Keyboards might also differ, if you can try them out at a physical store. (If not Dell probably has the upper edge here, their Latitudes have a good KB for sure. not sure about the XPS)

Hopefully this helps somewhat, remember you have to use it.

No matter what I or anyone else says you have to live with the thing, even if it turns out to be a flop.

- Sfekke

Edit added afterwards:

No, it isn't. Not at all @connorkervin212

More computing power = more power draw = less battery life.

Considering @Slottr is using this in Uni battery life could be important.

Screens also matter, eyestrain isn't a fun thing while taking a class. I can assure you that! (Some people are more prone to it then others)

more powe consumption u save $50 spend that in a external power bank 

12 hours ago, connorkervin212 said:

more powe consumption u save $50 spend that in a external power bank 

Those can weigh quite a bit  and a decent one is easily € 100.

Most ones with high MAh ratings are 1KG and upwards.

Another problem is heat output & noise, if OP likes to study in a quiet environment a fan whining on and on could be a problem.

@connorkervin212 your solution is quite mediocre & underwhelming.
If you'd read OP's posts, you'd see he likes less weight. Again making a powerbank pretty cumbersome no?

While it is up to the OP your argument is pretty invalid, would you carry that around? (I wouldn't)

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

22 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

Those can weigh quite a bit  and a decent one is easily € 100.

Most ones with high MAh ratings are 1KG and upwards.

Another problem is heat output & noise, if OP likes to study in a quiet environment a fan whining on and on could be a problem.

@connorkervin212 your solution is quite mediocre & underwhelming.
If you'd read OP's posts, you'd see he likes less weight. Again making a powerbank pretty cumbersome no?

While it is up to the OP your argument is pretty invalid, would you carry that around? (I wouldn't)

a pwoer bank is lightweigh and could easily be stored into his backpack or pocket so actually its not a mediocre its called thinking outside the box for the price he could have a better prossesor and more ram and storage 

1 hour ago, connorkervin212 said:

a pwoer bank is lightweigh and could easily be stored into his backpack or pocket so actually its not a mediocre its called thinking outside the box for the price he could have a better prossesor and more ram and storage 

Considering you are not even trying to write words fully, I doubt your idea is 100% full taught through.

1. Lightweigt means lower capacity, any decent battery capacity is upwards of 1KG (Which is heavy.)
  2. Outside the box, a term people with a strong opinion just throw around. OP is clearly not just going for specifications.
  3. Keep in mind the Vivobook will thermal throttle or have to run its fans at jet speeds. Thin laptops are not meant to be powerhouses.

If you are so certain those powerbanks exist, send me a link to one.

Keep in mind a higher power draw on a laptop means a beefier bank + more capacity would be required.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

10 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Considering you are not even trying to write words fully, I doubt your idea is 100% full taught through.

1. Lightweigt means lower capacity, any decent battery capacity is upwards of 1KG (Which is heavy.)
  2. Outside the box, a term people with a strong opinion just throw around. OP is clearly not just going for specifications.
  3. Keep in mind the Vivobook will thermal throttle or have to run its fans at jet speeds. Thin laptops are not meant to be powerhouses.

If you are so certain those powerbanks exist, send me a link to one.

Keep in mind a higher power draw on a laptop means a beefier bank + more capacity would be required.

you just dont like the fact you wrong 

1 hour ago, connorkervin212 said:

you just dont like the fact you wrong 

We could also reverse that statement.

It could work, but is more clutter. Is that me being wrong.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*