Router, modems and switches.

Ps_domingo

Hey guys! I read the sticky but I still have a few questions...

1) I have a D-link DIR-605L as a wireless router, but I need more than 5 lan ports.. SO I was thinking of getting myself a 8-port gigabit unmanaged switch to remedy this. Will that solution work? :P 

2) If I were to purchase the item, what comes first? (I use an ADSL modem) The wireless router or the switch?

3) Is file transfer possible if I'm using an unmanaged switch?

4) other suggestions for what I need? 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Easy as pi

hook your router up like normal then take a short ethernet cable and hook the switch up. You will be able to do everything like normal Internet, send files etc. 

I do this when I have lan parties. I keep the router where it is and run a cable to the room. Once in the room I hook it up to a 8-port switch to let everyone hook up. People can send files to and from my server hooked up to the router. 

Easy as pi

hook your router up like normal then take a short ethernet cable and hook the switch up. You will be able to do everything like normal Internet, send files etc. 

I do this when I have lan parties. I keep the router where it is and run a cable to the room. Once in the room I hook it up to a 8-port switch to let everyone hook up. People can send files to and from my server hooked up to the router. 

Will connecting the switch put much strain on the router? 

cause the Router does not even have 10/100/1000 switch it only has a 10/100 switch.. 

If I connect 4 Lan connectors on the router the router goes on a boot cycle.. 

I've RMA'd this model twice already because of the boot cycles but it turns out it's pretty common. 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

cause the Router does not even have 10/100/1000 switch it only has a 10/100 switch.. 

I've RMA'd this model twice already because of the boot cycles but it turns out it's pretty common. 

It will only put as much strain as the computers connected to it but if your router is only 10/100 then don't waist your money and get a 10/100 switch.BTW if your cool with a used one i can sell you a cisco 24 port switch. but if you have a old router lying around you can use that as a switch to . 

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Only one it shouldn't but I've never seen that. It matters were the traffic is going. If its from person to person who are both on the router then it won't load the router at all, but if its from person to person from switch to router OR person to internet then its going to hit your router but idk how hard it would hit it.  You might try putting Custom firmware on it to see if that fixes it. Or maybe try cooling it. Thats the only reason I could see it going into a boot loop. 

The reason you want the router 1st as its a DHCP server so it gives everyone connected to the network as internal IP. 

It will only put as much strain as the computers connected to it but if your router is only 10/100 then don't waist your money and get a 10/100 switch.BTW if your cool with a used one i can sell you a cisco 24 port switch. but if you have a old router lying around you can use that as a switch to . 

but if he is transfering files on the switch or doing LANs on the switch then the gigabit switch would help out. I also just got a huge 48 port switch off ebay. Won it for .99 was like $23 (USD) with shipping. 

but if he is transfering files on the switch or doing LANs on the switch then the gigabit switch would help out. I also just got a huge 48 port switch off ebay. Won it for .99 was like $23 (USD) with shipping. 

Thats true  file sharing would be faster but LAN`S wouldn't really benefit from the extra bandwidth over LAN but if he`s just using it as a router extender then he should save his money..99 Nice i gout 5 for free from my job we got new 10/100/1000 enterprise switches and i got 3 10/100 cisco switches and 2 new one`s :)

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Thats true  file sharing would be faster but LAN`S wouldn't really benefit from the extra bandwidth over LAN but if he`s just using it as a router extender then he should save his money..99 Nice i gout 5 for free from my job we got new 10/100/1000 enterprise switches and i got 3 10/100 cisco switches and 2 new one`s :)

Yeah I guess your right. Nice score. 

Ok I'll give you guys the current scenario. :) 

So I have a server, 4 wired computers, around 6 Laptops and around 8 other gadgets constatly on the network. 

Not until recently, the router is acting up like crazy. (boot cycles) Though router doesnt seem to heat up or anything. : P

Some of the users are using torrents, one is constantly doing video or voice chats and the rest is normal browser and and emails. 

Under this scenario do you guys see anything that may cause other problems aside for the router? :P