New CPU cooler and case fans

ToXIc Dev
Go to solution Solved by SorcierX,

#1. Replace stock cooler with just about anything and it'll be way more quiet.

#2. Find case fans that you like.

#3. Get a fan controller, so you can control all fan speeds.

#4. Acoustic foam

As previous post mentioned, pretty much put acoustic foam around the inside of your case and around the fans, but not on any components.

So I have the Intel stock cooler on my CPU and a while back I noticed that the fan RPM speed is reported as 0 on the BIOS and any software I use, I also cannot change the speed of it as it does nothing.

When my PC boots up I hear what I assume to be the CPU fan go up to full speed for a little bit before going back down to a normal speed.

My temps are fine so I'm not too bothered and have known about this for months, I was just wondering if the fan is probably just slightly faulty?

I've been thinking of changing my fans recently anyway to make my system quieter.

Could be partially broken, but it has to still be working - from what I understand, the computer would launch and then turn its self off in a couple of seconds if the fan wasn't detected or working - so you're safe from that (until the fan breaks more).

As for changing fans, there are tons of choices (Basically every PC fan linked here (fan sizes at bottom)).

Additionally, if you have the money, I'd just recommend upgrading the CPU cooler (depending on the budget) with it and using the included stock fans.

Here's a link to PcPartPicker's case fan list.

Noctua, Noise Blocker, and BeQuiet! are all well known for having very quiet fans, but cost quite a premium. You can add them to the search filter.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 hour ago, Imbellis said:

Could be partially broken, but it has to still be working - from what I understand, the computer would launch and then turn its self off in a couple of seconds if the fan wasn't detected or working - so you're safe from that (until the fan breaks more).

As for changing fans, there are tons of choices (Basically every PC fan linked here).

Additionally, if you have the money, I'd just recommend upgrading the CPU cooler (depending on the budget) with it and using the included stock fans.

Here's a link to PcPartPicker's case fan list.

Noctua, Noise Blocker, and BeQuiet! are all well known for having very quiet fans, but cost quite a premium. You can add them to the search filter.

Yeah I was planning on upgrading the CPU cooler aswell, thanks for the links.

So I am looking to quieten my PC, so I am going to first put some quiet fans in it.

I currently have the Intel stock cooler, so I was thinking if replacing that with the be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim, I was originally gonna go with a hyper 212 Evo but I feel it is not needed (as I'm not overclocking) and it is louder than this one.

I am also probably going to replace my case fans even though I think my CPU cooler is the noisier of the lot, I was thinking of getting 2 of the be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 120mm fans to replace the cooler master xtraflo 120mm that came with my case.

What do you guys think?

I own all noctua products, which is totally overkill but I'm a fanboy so that's how that happened. I would replace the cpu cooler with something from noctua if you can afford it. I know I'm a fanboy but they seriously do have the best air coolers on the market. and second before you start replacing all of your case fans get a program like "speedfan" and customize your fan speeds to quiet them down. If you are thinking about a new case? that depends on what you already have. You can buy some cheap acoustic foam and put it in your computer BUT NOT ON ANYTHING THAT PRODUCES A LOT OF HEAT. 

#1. Replace stock cooler with just about anything and it'll be way more quiet.

#2. Find case fans that you like.

#3. Get a fan controller, so you can control all fan speeds.

#4. Acoustic foam

As previous post mentioned, pretty much put acoustic foam around the inside of your case and around the fans, but not on any components.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

Most fans have adjustable curves that can be edited through the bios or an aftermarket program, so a fan controller most likely will not be needed.

And as far as acoustic foam - unless you're really... extra(?), you shouldn't need it unless you're doing some sort of audio production.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

8 hours ago, ToXIc DevilZz said:

So I have the Intel stock cooler on my CPU and a while back I noticed that the fan RPM speed is reported as 0 on the BIOS and any software I use, I also cannot change the speed of it as it does nothing.

Which mobo?

When my PC boots up I hear what I assume to be the CPU fan go up to full speed for a little bit before going back down to a normal speed.

This is normal part of POST procedure. Mobo is testing that all parts work as supposed.

My temps are fine so I'm not too bothered and have known about this for months, I was just wondering if the fan is probably just slightly faulty?

Could be fan, could be mobo. Connect case fan to that header and see how it looks. If you see rpm, then its fan issue. If not, then its mobo header issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What are your specs and temps? Which components are you finding too loud? Have you tried lowering fan speeds?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

33 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs and temps? Which components are you finding too loud? Have you tried lowering fan speeds?

In this thread here I explain my problems with my intel stock cooler, tl;dr it's most likely faulty and not letting me change the speed, this is why I would like to replace my it. :)

I am not going to definitely replace the case fans, I am going to try and isolate what is causing the most noise before I buy anything but I do believe it to be the cooler.

1 hour ago, ToXIc DevilZz said:

In this thread here I explain my problems with my intel stock cooler, tl;dr it's most likely faulty and not letting me change the speed, this is why I would like to replace my it. :)

I am not going to definitely replace the case fans, I am going to try and isolate what is causing the most noise before I buy anything but I do believe it to be the cooler.

What cpu and motherboard?

A quick way to check is to stop the fan with your hand and see if the noise goes with it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

15 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cpu and motherboard?

A quick way to check is to stop the fan with your hand and see if the noise goes with it. 

CPU: i5-4690 3.5GHz

Mobo: MSI H97M-G43

I feel the CPU fan used to report the speed and let me control it but now it no longer does, I'm not 100% on that though.

Thanks for the tip.

13 hours ago, ToXIc DevilZz said:

CPU: i5-4690 3.5GHz

Mobo: MSI H97M-G43

I feel the CPU fan used to report the speed and let me control it but now it no longer does, I'm not 100% on that though.

Thanks for the tip.

Can you read the rpm from another fan header? 

Did stopping the fan with your hand stop the noise?

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I haven't had chance to test it yet (if I remember correctly from when I tired ages ago I couldn't), I will do tomorrow and post here.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

So I have done some troubleshooting and no the fan's rpm can not be read from another fan header, I plugged it into a system fan header and it didn't even turn on but what I did do was plug a system fan into the CPU fan header and it worked and I could see the RPM.

Here are some screenshots from the BIOS.

Here you can see the CPU fan saying no RPM

eEqdkaG.png

And here you can see its says its disconnected but it isn't.

z0QxqU1.png

So I am now thinking yes it is definitely something wrong with the fan.

On 18/11/2017 at 12:03 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Which mobo?

This is normal part of POST procedure. Mobo is testing that all parts work as supposed.

Could be fan, could be mobo. Connect case fan to that header and see how it looks. If you see rpm, then its fan issue. If not, then its mobo header issues.

So I have done some troubleshooting and no the fan's rpm can not be read from another fan header, I plugged it into a system fan header and it didn't even turn on but what I did do was plug a system fan into the CPU fan header and it worked and I could see the RPM.

18 minutes ago, ToXIc DevilZz said:

In that case, I'd suggest contacting Intel for a replacement. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

I was thinking of buying a new cooler anyway (to make it quieter) so I think ill just do that, I could obviously still contact Intel anyway.

Just now, ToXIc DevilZz said:

I was thinking of buying a new cooler anyway (to make it quieter) so I think ill just do that, I could obviously still contact Intel anyway.

A PR Slim would definitely be quieter. That being said, the stock cooler is often far from loud with a good fan curve and proper case airflow.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

A PR Slim would definitely be quieter. That being said, the stock cooler is often far from loud with a good fan curve and proper case airflow.

So after doing some more troubleshooting I have figured out it is actually my HDD's that seem to be making the most noise, I am not too sure what to do about that other than getting SSD's (my boot drive already is an SSD) which I am not prepared to do.

26 minutes ago, ToXIc DevilZz said:

Yep, thats why troubleshooting is good thing. It would have sucked if it was header issue. Now you need to get another cooler as fan isn't changeable with stock coolers. I would recommend H7 or M9i from Cryorig. Also Deepcool Gammaxx 400 is good budget option.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, ToXIc DevilZz said:

So after doing some more troubleshooting i have figured out it is actually my HDD's that seem to be making the most noise, I am not too sure what to do about that.

That's a pretty common issue. New drives or a better mounting solution may help with that. What case are you using and where are the drives mounted?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

That's a pretty common issue. New drives or a better mounting solution may help with that. What case are you using and where are the drives mounted?

I am using a Cooler master N200 and I have the drives mounted like this:

148598.e4241ca5e0d3dd3f34aa292356a93cfa.

I know my case is very dusty, I am going to sort that out today

11 minutes ago, ToXIc DevilZz said:

I am using a Cooler master N200 and I have the drives mounted like this:

I know my case is very dusty, I am going to sort that out today

Some rubber mounts/washers for the hdd's could help. https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Aluminum-Internal-Mounting-Absorption/dp/B005OJFASY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511171282&sr=8-3&keywords=rubber+hdd

There are other more DIY options that tend to work even better. Some examples here: 

In your position, I'd personally remove the hdd cage for foam molds but I'm a bit more picky about noise than most. This is how my drives are currently sitting in my Define S.

560158902f43aacd5c06949ea65a92d9.png

44 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

So as I have figured out it is the HDD's and the cooler isnt loud, I was thinking of maybe contacting Intel and replacing the cooler but when I go on Intel's website they ask for the Processors ATPO Serial Number but that seems to be on the actual CPU meaning ill have to take the cooler off but I would like to continue to use it at the moment, Do you know if I can get it any other way?

I also saw something saying contact whoever you bought it off, so maybe I could contact Amazon?