jakkuh_t

IS GPU MINING STILL PROFITABLE? - Mining Adventure Part 1

48 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

So maybe some tests to see what a card that's been running in a mining rig for a few months to see if the card degrades in performance.

Performance doesn't tend to degrade, but excessive heat will cause components to fail earlier and some GPU fans will also get noisy or start to rattle after extended high-RPM usage (I've encountered this primarily on MSI TwinFrozr fans). 

Personally I wouldn't mind buying cards from a miner, as long as I know that the owner used it responsibly.  In fact I'd rather buy a second-hand card from a responsible miner than from a gamer.   

If a miner keeps his card at a reasonable temperature through undervolting and not cramming them together, and doesn't overclock the memory to the limit, it is likely in a better shape than a card that has been used for gaming an hour per day.  The latter will have gone through a lot of temperature cycles, heating up and cooling down again with each gaming session.  That is another very likely cause of GPU failures because it can cause solder to crack. With mining cards you don't have to worry about that because they haven't gone through anywhere near as many cycles. 

well having bought used hardware, i wouldnt hesitate to buy used hardware from a miner, most miners are viewing this as a business and and investment, so keeping temperatures under control are a must, also maintenance is a must (keeping the cards clean, dust free is a weekly task. I know in my mining system its constant maintenance and monitoring of temps etc. All of my AMD cards are undervolted with lower clock speeds but higher memory speeds. All of my Nvidia cards are overclocked with the TDP turned down to help with power draw and temperature.

as for investing to use as a heater, thats up to you, but if you are running space heaters it costs you regardless, atleast with mining you are getting a return (and hardware) for your investment. Atleast that is MY point of view.

I have a little question that can maybe be implemented in part 2

If you do not factor in the cost of a new gpu can you make some money? I think lots of gamers don't buy there GPU for mining but just for gaming, so if they can make some money with it while there are not using it that is a big bonus. 

18 hours ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

@Cinnabar Sonar All except two of my GPU's are used. some even came from previous miners that didnt want the long term investment. IMHO as long as the people previously were not idiots and running stuff at super high temps, there should not be any issues (While mining 24/7 i keep my hardware between 48*C and 65*C (generally on cooler days i run them at the higher 65*C to suppliment heat. Anyone that runs their hardware over 70*C for 24/7 use IMHO is not doing the hardware any good. Although i have no proof of testing, i just do not see why to run them that hot, all of my cards are pretty easy to control the heat on.

Agree, I am the same way.  I try to keep my hardware temperatures down.  Also, the cards tend to stay stable when I do folding and boinc runs with them when I keep the temps down.  I actually have lower temps when I do mining since I tone the TDP % down and run the cards differently compare to F@H/BOINC.  PrimeGrid runs though, woooo, those really make the cards toasty but finds real quick if a card will hold the OC.

Just a crazy gal who likes to abuse hardware by folding/boincing on it.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, 3930K (selling), 5960X, E5-2670V3, FX 8120 (giving to Uncle), 1900X

My GPU Army: ZOTAC AMP! 980Ti, 960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 1070 SC

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

14 hours ago, Pyrii said:

Since this video covered the fact that miners tend to sell their "used" cards on after an upgrade. There is the topic of whether having a card used in a mining rig 24/7 for so long degrades the card as I see the topic come up quite often of people wanting to know if a card was used for mining as they can sometimes end up with a dud.

So maybe some tests to see what a card that's been running in a mining rig for a few months to see if the card degrades in performance.

• NiceHash is terrible and only Crypto noobs use it
  • Windows is terrible and only half-brain noobs use it
  • Nvidia is terribly overpriced

You should use:

• CGMiner with a pool of your liking
  • Ubuntu Server
  • Well yeah you already had the GPU's so that doesn't count
  • More RGB 

Oh and let met say it. Mine an altcoin, way more profitable. If you don't know and wanna keep shit simple; Litecoin. 

Desktop(coming): AMD Ryzen 3 1200 - ASRock A320M-HDV - XFX RX 560 4GB - CM Masterbox Lite 3.1 - Ballistix Sport LT 1x8GD4 - EVGA 430W PSU - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome

Laptop: Intel Core2Duo P8700 - 4GB DDR2 - Intel GM45 Express graphics :( - Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome (Xorg)

Phone: LG Nexus 5 - LineageOS 14.1 - No gapps(Google Apps)

LOONIGS IS GUD WANDOWS = BAD

25 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

NiceHash is terrible and only Crypto noobs use it

Yeah yeah yeah. 

When you're mining with a handful of GPUs the extra time needed to set up the whole thing, the time spent looking at exchange rates to figure out when to convert your altcoins to optimize your profit etc just doesn't make up for Nicehash's ease of use. 

It's a perfectly acceptable way to get started and still a valid option for those who just can't be bothered to spend every free moment looking at crypto-related graphs. 

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

Yeah yeah yeah. 

When you're mining with a handful of GPUs the extra time needed to set up the whole thing, the time spent looking at exchange rates to figure out when to convert your altcoins to optimize your profit etc just doesn't make up for Nicehash's ease of use. 

It's a perfectly acceptable way to get started and still a valid option for those who just can't be bothered to spend every free moment looking at crypto-related graphs. 

Are you a experienced miner? Nicehash takes a 4% fee, compare that to the 0.3% fee I paid in my pool. The "time spend looking at exchange rates to figure out when to convert" is also pretty stupid. Yes, you can do that, but you could just quickly sell. Just sell yourself when you reach a threshold unless the coin has a massive dip, and you're still making way more than with NiceHash.

Nicehash has a pretty good idea. Take adventage of all the gamers that don't even know what a blockchain is who mine crypto with their gaming hardware by building a noob application with a massive fee so they can extremely profit off it. 

Setting up an account in a pool and then just running CGMiner takes 10-15 minutes at max for a new miner.

@LinusTech talks about it like he knows what he's doing, whilst he really isn't.

Can confirm, have build blockchains myself for various purposes.

Desktop(coming): AMD Ryzen 3 1200 - ASRock A320M-HDV - XFX RX 560 4GB - CM Masterbox Lite 3.1 - Ballistix Sport LT 1x8GD4 - EVGA 430W PSU - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome

Laptop: Intel Core2Duo P8700 - 4GB DDR2 - Intel GM45 Express graphics :( - Ubuntu 17.10 Gnome (Xorg)

8 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

Are you a experienced miner? Nicehash takes a 4% fee, compare that to the 0.3% fee I paid in my pool. The "time spend looking at exchange rates to figure out when to convert" is also pretty stupid. Yes, you can do that, but you could just quickly sell. Just sell yourself when you reach a threshold unless the coin has a massive dip, and you're still making way more than with NiceHash.

Nicehash has a pretty good idea. Take adventage of all the gamers that don't even know what a blockchain is who mine crypto with their gaming hardware by building a noob application with a massive fee so they can extremely profit off it. 

Setting up an account in a pool and then just running CGMiner takes 10-15 minutes at max for a new miner.

@LinusTech talks about it like he knows what he's doing, whilst he really isn't.

Well would love to use cgminer but every version i find as a virus attached to it. So would you like to tell us where we can download this program with out getting out computer infected???

27 minutes ago, zubzero2 said:

Well would love to use cgminer but every version i find as a virus attached to it. So would you like to tell us where we can download this program with out getting out computer infected???

It's Github repository https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer

Source

Oh and EDIT: I heard some antiviruses picks up software like CGMiner because of it being a crypto miner that can run in the background. A lot of viruses infect PC's and run CGminer in the background to "steal" computing power.

11 hours ago, Julian2000nl said:

You should use:

• Ubuntu Server
  • More RGB 

Oh and let met say it. Mine an altcoin, way more profitable. If you don't know and wanna keep shit simple; Litecoin. 

11 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Yeah yeah yeah. 

it's like paying someone to wash your car versus washing it yourself. Washing it yourself is usually the best option, you can spend time paying attention to the detail and always make sure you are using quality products that wont harm your paint one bit. 

On the other hand... most people rather not deal with it when they can pay someone $20 and bring their car through one of their automated machines and be done with it. 

That is nicehash's selling point. You don't have to fool with anything... cards are plug in, benchmark, and play. 

Also keep in mind Linus' is not necessarily doing this for profit... he's doing it for the channel. The money they make from this is a side benefit, and seeing how large of a scale they want to take this project, it may be beneficial to them to just save the time and use nicehash. Time is money. plain and simple.

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz - Biostar TZ77B - 12GB DDR3-1600 - MSI GTX 970 - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 3 x 160GB drives I found lying around. (in RAID 0) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

17 hours ago, 42thgamer said:

I have a little question that can maybe be implemented in part 2

If you do not factor in the cost of a new gpu can you make some money? I think lots of gamers don't buy there GPU for mining but just for gaming, so if they can make some money with it while there are not using it that is a big bonus. 

yep you can just mine eth or zcash

12 hours ago, Julian2000nl said:

You should use:

• Ubuntu Server
  • More RGB 

no you shouldn't use cgminer cgminer is mostly just for asic coins and right now ethminer or zminer are way more profitable 

And what if you have AMD cards, GDDR5 and GDDR5X Nividea cards? Are you telling me that they are all optimized for mining one specific alt coin for long periods of time? Or are you saying you have the time and attention to micro manage everything, every hour?

Sure, if you're really, really into mining and squeezing out every penny-worth a day, then you would do everything manually, figure out a way to run 220V, and run linux. More power to ya, buddy.

However, NiceHash isn't obsolete. Neither is it only for idiots like you are making it out to be. Lots of people, including myself, think the services are worth it. You act like a 2% fee is just absolutely unacceptable. snip.PNG.34b12d829a56d5f6ef09e21218c6ee43.PNG

And you are acting like like a whopping .0005(~$3.5) bitcoin to move your bitcoin every now and then is also unreasonable.

snip.PNG.989bda880fec250e4f02ed86ab1b75f5.PNG

Their fees are absolutely worth it, in my opinion, for the services they provide. Additionally, I'm not interesting in hording anything other than Bitcoin, so the conversions fees are given. Plus, my Trezor is made for bitcoin and that's what I will keep for years to come. Not all alt coins are supported by Trezor or even by the 'more versatile' Ledger wallets. No other crypto is as viable in the long, long run, IMO, like Bitcoin is. I strongly believe all other investments are merely short term (which is totally okay, $$$) Had it not have been for bitcoin, then hardly no one would be interested or engaging in cryptoconcurrency in general.

Furthermore, 10 days ago there was a massive spike in profitability with the CryptoNight algorithm. For a couple days straight, my rigs were making several times more than they do on a typical day. I wouldn't have known this if someone didn't bring it to my attention on this forum. But if that didn't happen, I wouldn't have known until maybe 5 days ago, after it was all over. Again, around 8:45pm on November 12th, my mining yields were over 5 times more profitable than they usually are for a brief period of 2 hours. I only know that, because I just now checked to defend NiceHash's legacy miner. 

Pool mining alt coins is cool and all, but NiceHash perfectly fits my needs and I'm not wasting my time obsessing on whattomine.com. I'd rather be obsessed with what to buy than what to mine. I think that is a much more intelligent use of all our time xD

CPU — i7 6700k - 4.4GHz

GPU — EVGA GTX 1080 FTW - Factory OC

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D14

Motherboard — MSI z170a Gaming m5

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V series - 2133MHz 2(2 x 8GB)

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD 7200rpm

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— Samsung 960 EVO - 250GB M.2 SSD

Case  Phanteks Eclipse P400 [purchased for $49.99?!]

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold

OS — Windows 10 Home

Wireless Adapter — TP-Link Archer T9E - 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 

Case Fans — 120mm Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

— 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Razer Naga 2014

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— LED Strip - Phanteks PH-LEDKT - 1 meter

— Mechanical ten key - Cherry MX blue switches

Main Machine : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R3LPwV

$200 Linux Toy : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dfw6NN

whoops nvm missread

On 11/13/2017 at 3:39 AM, Injected_Pie said:

Mining on GPUs is hard for the average Users / Gamers there are some better ways to "mine"  like Storj and Burstcoin (Using what everybody has some hdd capacity).

I Run 1TB Storj Fileshare on my Nas (took 4ever to fill up that 1TB) because it is 24/7 online anyway.

It covers the electric costs of the Nas and gives me some Returns for future HDD Upgrades.

I also use  Solar powered rigs to mine Burst on broken HDDs (out of Warranty with Bad Smart but works) getting some cash out of the untrusted HDDs.

GPU and even CPU mining is only profitable if you mine some "unknown" coins with big and active development and growing community (basicly mining "eth" now what was 15usd back then) 

so how mush do you make of a 1TB per month and how do you get paid? 

13 hours ago, hamza.abdulwali said:

hey guys. i was wondering since i've free electricity, air conditioning and an old barebones old server. before i decided on getting GPUs or not i wanted to know how much in upload and download i'd use a day in average. 

The data transfer is minimal. The hardwork is done in work on the GPU\CPU of the machine and only the answers are sent back. The GPU's only require 1x PCI to run at full speeds as there isnt even much data transfer done in system either.

18 hours ago, Julian2000nl said:

You should use:

• Ubuntu Server
  • More RGB 

If you are using a gaming machine to mine with during the off-time, then you use what you have which is likely to be windows and what cards you have.

You seem to think that being a "noob" is an insult, but everyone is a noob in everything at one point. Many will try crypto and decide it is not for them, so it makes no sense for them to buy dedicated hardware and set up different operating system until they decide to get serious.

And if/when they get serious, they will find for themselves good sources of information that don't suffer from the low social bandwidth you appear to be hampered by.

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Enermax Liqtech 360 TR4 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme TR4 eATX MB

- 2x MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Wave 8GB

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz Red LED

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Antec 1300W High Current Pro 80 PLUS Platinum PSU

- Corsair 900D Super Tower