Fan Control & RGB Question

FUR1AN

Hey everyone,

I’m planning on doing the following fan setup:

2 Corsair LL140 intake/push - front case

2 NZXT (incl. x62 Kraken fans) intake/pull - front case

2 Corsair LL140 exhaust - top case

1 Corsair LL140 exhaust - rear case

So i’d ideally like all the fans to be modulated in unison (using the same software or Bios). My question is two fold. Can I plug fan control cables into four pin fan headers on mobo, and then RGB cables from fans into Corsair cable hub + RGB Node Pro, then plug the node pro into RGB header on mobo? This would result in all fans being controlled by Bios and lighting/RGB controlled by Corsair Link. Would that work?

Or do all the fans and RGB need to be controlled within the same suite, in this case Corsair Link?

Trying to avoid paying the $60 for Corsair Commander Pro Hub and then having 6 fans controlled in Corsair Link and then the 2 NZXT rad (pull config.) fans modulated in Bios.

Let me know what you guys think. I’ll be using Asus Maximus Hero X mobo which to my knowledge has eight 4 pin fan headers.

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

8 minutes ago, wpowell13 said:

Hey everyone,

*snip*

Let me know what you guys think. I’ll be using Asus Maximus Hero X mobo which to my knowledge has eight 4 pin fan headers.

your motherboard has 7 fan headers? i'm not actually familiar with RGB fans and what plugs they do or don't use so idk

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

On 11/9/2017 at 6:12 PM, wpowell13 said:

-SNIP-

The fans speed can be plugged into the motherboard and controlled inside the BIOS however the RGB system is proprietary to Corsair using the Lighting node pro and Corsair Link.

On 11/12/2017 at 2:03 AM, W-L said:

The fans speed can be plugged into the motherboard and controlled inside the BIOS however the RGB system is proprietary to Corsair using the Lighting node pro and Corsair Link.

Hey there thanks for the reply. I found out that the mobo doesn’t have quite as many fan headers as I thought and was planning to use the Corsair Commander Pro for Fan/RGB control.

With that being said, the Commander Pro has 6 fan ports, and I have 7 fans (5 Corsair LL140 and 2 NZXT non RGB rad fans). I was thinking I would plug the five RGB fans into the Commander Pro individually and then buy a 2:1 splitter and put the two NZXT rad fans into the 6th port on the Commander Pro. 

My question is, how/where does the Commander Pro connect to the motherboard and how will the fan curves be controlled? With that be via Corsair Link? Or will it be in the Asus Bios (my preferred option). In an ideal state I want the RGB controlled in Corsair Link and then the fans modulated in the Bios is that they work in unison with temp monitoring on the GPU and CPU. 

Sorry for the long reply but I would appreciate a description on how that all works. Most build videos are timelapse and don’t really walk through or show how that all works out.

2 hours ago, wpowell13 said:

Hey there thanks for the reply. I found out that the mobo doesn’t have quite as many fan headers as I thought and was planning to use the Corsair Commander Pro for Fan/RGB control.

With that being said, the Commander Pro has 6 fan ports, and I have 7 fans (5 Corsair LL140 and 2 NZXT non RGB rad fans). I was thinking I would plug the five RGB fans into the Commander Pro individually and then buy a 2:1 splitter and put the two NZXT rad fans into the 6th port on the Commander Pro. 

My question is, how/where does the Commander Pro connect to the motherboard and how will the fan curves be controlled? With that be via Corsair Link? Or will it be in the Asus Bios (my preferred option). In an ideal state I want the RGB controlled in Corsair Link and then the fans modulated in the Bios is that they work in unison with temp monitoring on the GPU and CPU. 

Sorry for the long reply but I would appreciate a description on how that all works. Most build videos are timelapse and don’t really walk through or show how that all works out.

It will all be through Corsair Link, which allows you to configure it based on temp sensors around the system. Since your are using the Commander Pro system with Corsair Link you won't be using the BIOS for any fan control, and the unit just hooks up to the motherboard via internal USB. 

3 hours ago, wpowell13 said:

why dont u just get a nice fan controller, u can see rpm and control em realtime :P

(◑‿◐)

1 hour ago, W-L said:

It will all be through Corsair Link, which allows you to configure it based on temp sensors around the system. Since your are using the Commander Pro system with Corsair Link you won't be using the BIOS for any fan control, and the unit just hooks up to the motherboard via internal USB. 

Okay and are those temp sensors something additional I have to plug in or does it recognize temp sensors already within each component?

10 minutes ago, wpowell13 said:

Okay and are those temp sensors something additional I have to plug in or does it recognize temp sensors already within each component?

The software will draw data from them automatically and present them as options to map in your system diagram and let you select which ones to use for fan control. 

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

The software will draw data from them automatically and present them as options to map in your system diagram and let you select which ones to use for fan control. 

Great, thank you so much for your help I appreciate it. It is kind of a bummer though, I had heard the FanXpert software in the Asus Bios was pretty good.