Ryzen 1950X vs Dual Socket R (2011-3) Xeon

Hi guys, Would rendering work better on a Ryzen 1950X system, or a dual Xeon system? This system will be used for VMs, Rending, and storage as well.

Some drawbacks i researched i see to be of each is

Ryzen tends to perform MUCH better with more ram

Ryzen needs higher clockspeed ram

Ryzen is overclockable

Xeons are multiplier locked

Can run with more average "spec'd" ram

pricing and cores proportionally increase

Dual CPU boards tend to be more expensive

Thanks guyssss

4 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

It depends entirely on the software you're using, and if it can be GPU accelerated.

Far as the RAM stuff goes faster RAM is nicer, but it's not going to matter much for most things so long as you have dual channel at minimum.

Do you mean like used server stuff that potentially cheap like Linus showed off in a recent video?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

12 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It depends entirely on the software you're using, and if it can be GPU accelerated.

Far as the RAM stuff goes faster RAM is nicer, but it's not going to matter much for most things so long as you have dual channel at minimum.

Do you mean like used server stuff that potentially cheap like Linus showed off in a recent video?

I will be using premire pro and lightroom, as well as final cut pro if possible (hackintoshs are a pain)

Ahh i see. From what ive read, everyones been saying to have faster ram at 4 sticks.

Ill be planning to buy lga 2011-3 cpus. Im not sure which ones yet, but ive been looking at the e5 2667 v3

1 minute ago, Bajantechnician said:

Would probably suggest TR for simplicity and easy availability and warranties.

I don't know if 4 sticks at higher speeds is an issue on TR like it is for desktop Ryzen, like it's hard to get things running above 2400mhz

What's your budget? I have a TR parts list here, for premier anyways an 8700K is actually faster than the HEDT platforms because of how it works, but once you have GPU acceleration involved your CPU almost doesn't matter.

Are you doing any gaming?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

*SNIP*

Ive got a budget of around 3.5-4K USD. Im not sure if I should use dual 1080ti or dual vega 64s. Yeah, I know that the 1080tis are more powerful horsepowerwise, but as ill rending images and videos, im not sure which route to go. A TR machine would be faster than the dual xeon route then?

As for gaming, I will be playing stuff such as gta v, hopefully farcry, r6s, pub g, all that, but im not too worried at frames as long as I can play mid-high settings at 60 fps or so :)

10 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Ive got a budget of around 3.5-4K USD. Im not sure if I should use dual 1080ti or dual vega 64s. Yeah, I know that the 1080tis are more powerful horsepowerwise, but as ill rending images and videos, im not sure which route to go. A TR machine would be faster than the dual xeon route then?

As for gaming, I will be playing stuff such as gta v, hopefully farcry, r6s, pub g, all that, but im not too worried at frames as long as I can play mid-high settings at 60 fps or so :)

Then 100% go threadripper for gaming, because of the better single threaded performance over the Xeons, aren't those like 3ghz max?

You should also only get a single 1080ti or Vega GPU, 1080ti being faster in gaming of course, but if you want to save some cash with free-sync Vega ain't bad. Either will be fine for GPU acceleration, pretty much just having A gpu is enough for premiere acceleration.

Unless you know for sure if your software can take advantage of 2 GPUs 100%

Spoiler

When you say rendering, do you only mean premiere pro? It kind of seems like going HEDT isn't necessary if that's all. Lightroom does not scale well past 6 cores, prefers IPC to core/thread count.

14 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

*snip*

Yeah, they top out at like 3.2Ghz, and those are Ex Pen Sive

Premire pro and lightroom take use of multiple GPUS for acceleration.

3 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

*snip*

Premiere pro yes, but Im also going to be putting multiple vms on this system and Ill be running one or 2 gaming servers.

Ahh i didnt know that. Thanks for the info :D

Of the options given, I say TR just for the potential upgrade path. As a 1950X user that does a lot of the same things, I can assure you that the setup will kick butt.

Just don't grab the Zenith board for the sake of getting it like most do. If you don't need the 10G Ethernet, get the model under and save $100.

14 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Do you have a link for the multi-GPU testing?

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Taichi seems to be the best "Value" probably still needs active VRM cooling if you overclock though

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Taichi seems to be the best "Value" probably still needs active VRM cooling if you overclock though

It may be. I tend not to make recommendations for things I haven't used vs. things I have though. I've used the Zenith and Strix x399-E Gaming with great success. If I recommend the Taichi to someone and they have an issue, I cannot assist. Just my personal philosophy.

47 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Of the options given, I say TR just for the potential upgrade path. As a 1950X user that does a lot of the same things, I can assure you that the setup will kick butt.

Just don't grab the Zenith board for the sake of getting it like most do. If you don't need the 10G Ethernet, get the model under and save $100.

Ahhh i see.
TBH i will most likely grab that board haha. Ill probably connect that to a mass mass storage nas

What do you suggest for ram?

Alos, do you know if the board supports raid 6?

38 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Do you have a link for the multi-GPU testing?

heres a linky :)

https://www.provideocoalition.com/adobe-premiere-pro-and-multiple-gpus/

Yeah I know its oh mac OS, but eh, hardwares hardware lol

8 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Are you in the US? Do you need monitors and stuff as well?

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Are you in the US? Do you need monitors and stuff as well?

Yeah im in the US lol. Im good with monitors for now.... I may however buy a new keyboard and mouse, but that wouldnt be included in the budget

6 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Yeah im in the US lol. Im good with monitors for now.... I may however buy a new keyboard and mouse, but that wouldnt be included in the budget

Maybe start there I suppose, case has tons of airflow options, for the cooler I would recommend the Noctua U14 TR4 edition but it's like sold out everywhere, the enermax stuff has TR4 sized cold plates still, would be better in any event.

Gotta look more into the RAM stuff, not sure many people have done much testing for TR on that front.

Up to you if 2 1080tis are worth it of course, starting at the performance per dollar level mostly. Should get that PSU in any event.

Case probably needs more fans

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/thL86X
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/thL86X/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor  ($879.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Enermax - LiqTech TR4 360 102.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($339.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($679.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($404.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($404.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Core X9 ATX Desktop Case  ($147.19 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Platinum 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $3246.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-08 19:06 EST-0500

Spoiler

I'd go with the i9 7900x for a better balance in single and multi threaded performance. If not then the Threadripper but I would never go dual socket Xeons for a workstation, the way I see it those things only makes sense in servers.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

*snip*

Ive got a case already as well as a AX1500i :P

Im thinking of watercooling as well

Ill see if i can dig up more info on the ram lol

I do need more fans actually

hmmm... are 2 1080ti worth it?....

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

*snip*

Ive got a single core dedicated system right now actually lol, hence why im looking for a multi core based cpu :)

9 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

5a03b155e0b7a_CoreX9.jpg.3a048751e03657e48445a7a121cc822e.jpg
I dunno, a fully loaded Core X9 can be pretty sweet, doubt you need that many fans though

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

*snip*

you right haha. Right now ive got a 760T, and a mac pro 1.1-5.1 case. Dunno which one to use, or if I should just buy another one lol. Been eyeing tempered glass cases for no, but then ill have to sell off the 760t, which is a pain to find a buyer for

On 11/8/2017 at 2:46 PM, Legendarypoet said:

*snip*

Hey Legendarypoet, do you happen to have any pics of your 1950X system? I was just wondering how the ram color plays with the mobo lol.

Thanks haha

18 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Hey Legendarypoet, do you happen to have any pics of your 1950X system? I was just wondering how the ram color plays with the mobo lol.

Thanks haha

Yup! Lots.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

Yup! Lots.

OOi....

Thanks a bunch haha :)

Also, question... Do you happen to know if the onboard sata controller supports raid 6?

42 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

OOi....

Thanks a bunch haha :)

Also, question... Do you happen to know if the onboard sata controller supports raid 6?

I'll check when I get home.