First Time Build - Advice Needed!

I've put together the below gaming build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Kfbx7h

It's my first build and will be used for gaming. I want to be able to run games like Rust at top quality settings and games like Star Citizen and other more demanding games at a high quality as well. Most importantly I'd like to have a build that can still perform very well in several years, and allows for future upgrades.

I'd appreciate any advice you have, especially if you think I should be concerned about bottlenecking, or if you think there is any overkill in there - in particular I'm wondering if the Intel i5 8400 would suit my gaming needs just fine rather than the 8600k, saving me a good £100. I also wonder if I should get a better graphics card if I stick with the 8600k?

The build includes peripherals, and prices etc. in GBP would be best.

All advice and criticism is very welcome!

Thanks in advance 

I would get a ViewSonic XG2401 if you can afford it.

I own both the ViewSonic and the AOC G2460PF, and the ViewSonic colors are vastly superior.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

16 minutes ago, LumpyLenny said:

I've put together the below gaming build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Kfbx7h

It's my first build and will be used for gaming. I want to be able to run games like Rust at top quality settings and games like Star Citizen and other more demanding games at a high quality as well. Most importantly I'd like to have a build that can still perform very well in several years, and allows for future upgrades.

I'd appreciate any advice you have, especially if you think I should be concerned about bottlenecking, or if you think there is any overkill in there - in particular I'm wondering if the Intel i5 8400 would suit my gaming needs just fine rather than the 8600k, saving me a good £100. I also wonder if I should get a better graphics card if I stick with the 8600k?

Thanks in advance 

@Stock the 8600k beats the 8400 by 300Mhz in turbo but IDK if they are doing the 1 core @4.3Ghz and other cores less or not, I've only read up on the 8700k. But the 8600k has the potential to overclock. If you were to buy the 8400 which doesn't have the capability to overclock hence the k then you'd go down the Motherboard lineup to get something cheaper and that would add more money for your GPU.

Now, onto performance. If you have a good enough GPU, I don't know about the 1060. But the 1080 and even the 1070 have been bottlenecked by a 5.0Ghz 7700k because FPS went up after overclocking, from benchmarks. So if you do plan on overclocking then get the 8600k if not get the 8400.

Last thing. Don't make my mistake and buy the cheapest. Follow a color scheme like @Guilio Celloco said. But just from looking at your link w/o clicking on specific products they look to be mostly black which is good.

a i5 8400+gtx1070 will be a better buy than i5 8600k+gtx1060. So if budget is 1500 pound, i would go for 8400+1070.

Just now, phongle123 said:

d other cores less or not, I'

Just now, Devin92 said:

a i5 8400+gtx1070 will be a better buy than i5 8600k+gtx1060. So if budget is 1500 pound, i would go for 8400+1070.

Definitely

Just now, LumpyLenny said:

Thanks in advance 

I would go with the 8400 and a 1070 as the 1070 will give you more performance than a 8600k.

If at first you don't succeed...

Call it version 1.0

Spoiler

Main Rig

CPU: Intel i5 6600k

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x4gb)

GPU:

Storage: Seagate 500GB

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

5 minutes ago, Giulio Cellocco said:

i managed to do this for 1540 gbp:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xXRhCy

Change the HDD to this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/j28H99/seagate-barracuda-3tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm008

Put the money towards this:

Fix the keyboard. The Strafe is worth the extra 15 Quid

PSU RM650x if you can afford it. One of the best power supply series but professional reviews. 

Memory speeds are not that important but pick up 2666 if its only a few pounds more.

11 minutes ago, Giulio Cellocco said:

i managed to do this for 1540 gbp:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xXRhCy

Sooooo much better

Just now, Blatcher2 said:

Change the HDD to this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/j28H99/seagate-barracuda-3tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm008

PSU RM650x if you can afford it. One of the best power supply series but professional reviews. 

Memory speeds are not that important but pick up 2666 if its only a few pounds more.

Actually you do not need 650w as I have a 1080ti with 8700K that has 550w psu. I agree that the 2666Mhz ram might be a little bit better most mobo's don't even support rams clocked at that speed and will consider them overclocked already.

19 hours ago, Giulio Cellocco said:

Sooooo much better

Actually you do not need 650w as I have a 1080ti with 8700K that has 550w psu. I agree that the 2666Mhz ram might be a little bit better most mobo's don't even support rams clocked at that speed and will consider them overclocked already.

Thanks for all of the input, the build you've put together looks like a really good alternative. I wonder what your opinion is on cutting the 8600k out and using an 8400, and maybe removing the HDD (I'll only be using this for gaming so 525GB SSD seems manageable?), and using the extra few hundred pounds to push for a 1080 or even the 1070ti. What do you think? Would the 8400 and 1080/1070ti be well matched?

The monitor will need a change too as I've done some homework and realised that nvidia isn't compatible with freesync. I'd also like 1440p as it looks like I'll be getting at least a 1070 graphics card.

Here's the build as it stands https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DhVT2R

Edited by LumpyLenny

19 hours ago, Blatcher2 said:

Thanks for the advice. I've rejigged the build to be more in line with what you and Giulio have recommended. What's your take? 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DhVT2R

I wonder what your opinion is on downgrading to an 8400 CPU and using the extra money to buy either a 1070ti (depending on how it performs on release) or a 1080?

Edited by LumpyLenny

I'm pretty new to this, but I would recommend a few changes. If you are getting a K series CPU like the 8600K I would get a sufficient liquid cooler, like the Corsair H100i V2, to help you get the full value out of your CPU. Also, you don't need 3200 MHz RAM, 2666 is generally the sweet spot, not that memory speed matters too much in the end. Consider looking into an NVMe M.2 SSD such as the Samsung 960 EVO, as it is even faster than SSDs running over SATA, which is what the SSD in your build right now is. Finally, if you want to play something like Star Citizen, I would invest in more than a GTX 1060. If you can cut down other prices to stay within budget, a 1070, or maybe the upcoming 1070ti, or even a 1080.

Good luck.

11 hours ago, LumpyLenny said:

Thanks for the advice. I've rejigged the build to be more in line with what you and Giulio have recommended. What's your take? 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DhVT2R

I wonder what your opinion is on downgrading to an 8400 CPU and using the extra money to buy either a 1070ti (depending on how it performs on release) or a 1080?

If you are playing 1080P 144Hz the 1070 is a good pick. You might want to wait a couple weeks for the 1070TI to get released and perhaps the price will come down for the 1070. I think that getting that 8600k and running it at 5GHz at 1.3v is going to be the best move for future upgrade-ability. Star Citizen is a resource hog and a GTX 1080 would give you better FPS. 

With Black Friday and Cyber monday coming up it might make sense to wait and get at GTX 1080 for <450 Pounds

4 hours ago, TheRedWarrior said:

I'm pretty new to this, but I would recommend a few changes. If you are getting a K series CPU like the 8600K I would get a sufficient liquid cooler, like the Corsair H100i V2, to help you get the full value out of your CPU. Also, you don't need 3200 MHz RAM, 2666 is generally the sweet spot, not that memory speed matters too much in the end. Consider looking into an NVMe M.2 SSD such as the Samsung 960 EVO, as it is even faster than SSDs running over SATA, which is what the SSD in your build right now is. Finally, if you want to play something like Star Citizen, I would invest in more than a GTX 1060. If you can cut down other prices to stay within budget, a 1070, or maybe the upcoming 1070ti, or even a 1080.

Good luck.

An NVME SSD offers no noticeable performance gains in day to day use for most people. I have one so take my word for it. Secondly, he already has a good liquid cooler in the current build and it is a fantastic price.Make sure  you read through a thread before responding.