AM2+ AM3 compatibility/performance

I'm looking to squeeze a little more life out of my old computer while I save some real money for a whole new gaming build. I have an am2+ mobo, looking at possible am3 cpu's or best possible upgrade for cheap. I know am3 is compatible with am2+ in most cases, and from what I've found on line there are a number of compatible am3 cpu's available.

What are the best options for upgrading for most performance, Stick with am2+ or move to am3? What kind of performance can one expect from running an am3 in an am2+ socket? Lastly what does it take to run an am3 in an am2+ socket, is it plug and play or is some bios or other work required?

Thanks!

Current build:

MSI 785GTM-E45

CPU AMD Athlon 7850 Dual-Core

Ram 8GB DDR2 800 PC2-6400.

GPU MSI GeForce GT 730 DDR3 4GB

The ram and GPU are recent upgrades, got the GPU free and the ram here: http://ebay.to/2yCzw02

was running 4gb ram, 1gb gpu.

Sockets are not backwards compatible lel

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

You can use a AM2+ CPU in a AM3 mobo, and the benefit from the AM3 chipset is being able to use DDR3 ram even with a previous generation CPU.  Running a AM3 CPU in a AM2+ board like the current one you have will result in you having to stick with DDR 3.   I assume money is tight to you could look into a FX series cpu maybe a FX6300.  If you're in the UK I can sell you my old setup for £100, the ram 16gb HyperX (DDR3) alone is worth £80 used, but i like to help people out. I used to play GTA with that and it's OC'able like a hore :P 

But yes those are the main differences, DDR3 support and a few minor improvements like PCIe 2.0/3.0, overclocking support, higher HTT clock speeds and a few others things that i cant remeber

If my posts help out, let me know on the feedback buttons.

Parts: Ryzen 5 1600X / GTX 1080 / 16Gb Vengeance LPX / RGB Stuff....

Full Specs here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LcdZVY - OR click my profile pic

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Sockets are not backwards compatible lel

You can use a AM3 CPU on a AM2+ board, I've had to do that before.

Full Specs here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LcdZVY - OR click my profile pic

5 minutes ago, Danny_UK said:

You can use a AM3 CPU on a AM2+ board, I've had to do that before.

Why you have so many HDDs? xDxD

How is it possible to have AM3 on AM2+?

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Why you have so many HDDs? xDxD

How is it possible to have AM3 on AM2+?

960 = Main OS

850 = Music OS

OCZ = Main games

3x2tb = games and media storage

1TB = Streams & nVidia captures

320gb = Music & Main OS backups with drivers/application i know ill use on the OS. So its a core disk image

Note: I dont like disks having do multiple things (queuing/disk access time), so they all serve their own purpose (I guess i could have said i have some form of OCD xD)

That was something AMD and AsRock developed i think, but all the other vendors followed their path.  It's just a thing to make upgrade paths easier for the end users.  AM3 CPU will can only work with DDR2 if you put that in a AM2+ board though, but been as you've brought the ram already i guess that's you next best step as you dont want to waste cash.  

With todays applications and games I wouldn't go any lower than a FX6300. if you can afford it, I guess you could get away with a Phenom II x4, but be warned that can/will struggle with some of todays programs (but it will be wayyyyyyy better than what you have in there already so bare that in mind too)

Hope that helps bro

AM3+ CPUs like the FX series won't work in Am2+, only AM3 chips up to a Phenom II x6 will work.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.