USB fan controller

DragonTamer1

Can anyone help me find a USB fan controller for driving 4 PWM fans?

I have been looking around and the only ones that I found seem to be manual control in a 5.25 inch bay or something that costs $30 or more. I don't really want to spend more than $15 USD as I can easily return the fans for $7 which is what I'm ready to do, I figured I would give them a shot.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Not trying to be picky here, but I'm being picky. My motherboard only has one PWM fan header, and that's the one for the CPU fans, While the CPU gets hot, it's not the problem I'm trying to fix with the new fans. The GPUs get really hot while gaming so I need air down at the bottom of the case and gaming loads rarely stress the CPU to a level where it needs to spin up. The board does better with the fan headers for case fans for whole system temps (not linked to CPU temps) but they aren't able to control the PWM fans. I was hoping for a USB controlled device that I could set for certain temps.

As it stands now, I'm probably just going to return these fans. The LED isn't white (more like a yellowish white), the fans are stupid loud the light projection isn't very good, they are really loud, I have no way of controlling them with my current setup, and they are really loud.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

9 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Not trying to be picky here, but I'm being picky. My motherboard only has one PWM fan header, and that's the one for the CPU fans, While the CPU gets hot, it's not the problem I'm trying to fix with the new fans. The GPUs get really hot while gaming so I need air down at the bottom of the case and gaming loads rarely stress the CPU to a level where it needs to spin up. The board does better with the fan headers for case fans for whole system temps (not linked to CPU temps) but they aren't able to control the PWM fans. I was hoping for a USB controlled device that I could set for certain temps.

As it stands now, I'm probably just going to return these fans. The LED isn't white (more like a yellowish white), the fans are stupid loud the light projection isn't very good, they are really loud, I have no way of controlling them with my current setup, and they are really loud.

What are your specs?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

These are the system specs.

The fans that I bought were a single ML120 and ML140 each.

24 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

These are the system specs.

The fans that I bought were a single ML120 and ML140 each.

The sysfan1/2 headers support 4pin pwm. You can use splitters off of either for your case fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The sysfan1/2 headers support 4pin pwm. You can use splitters off of either for your case fans. 

They are controllable but through voltage control only. The PWM fan runs at full speed. I have no idea why they put a 4 pin header for a voltage controlled fan. I've attached the manual for the board, pate 1-27 is the section on fan headers.

7760v3.0(G52-77601X9)(X79A-GD45 Plus).pdf

1 hour ago, DragonTamer1 said:

They are controllable but through voltage control only. The PWM fan runs at full speed. I have no idea why they put a 4 pin header for a voltage controlled fan. I've attached the manual for the board, pate 1-27 is the section on fan headers.

7760v3.0(G52-77601X9)(X79A-GD45 Plus).pdf

Oh, I was looking at the manual for the v1 and not v3. You should be able to control 4pin fans with DC but that's suboptimal for ML fans since the levitation requires PWM. 

A  PWM fan controller probably isn't going to be cheap. Returning the fans and going with 3pin fans instead would probably make more sense if you don't want to share the same header for your cpu fans.

On 10/18/2017 at 2:28 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Oh, I was looking at the manual for the v1 and not v3. You should be able to control 4pin fans with DC but that's suboptimal for ML fans since the levitation requires PWM. 

A  PWM fan controller probably isn't going to be cheap. Returning the fans and going with 3pin fans instead would probably make more sense if you don't want to share the same header for your cpu fans.

I just returned the fan yesterday, I will just have to look for something more coventional.