Controlling fans - Case Fan Hub, Fan headers and BIOs?

The_Atomic

I'm Looking to do a build in the 'Dark Base Pro 900 Case' with an Asus ROG Maximus X Hero z370 Motherboard, but I'm confused on how the case fans will be controlled.

The case has a PWM fan hub, does this mean that all fans connected to this hub will spin at the same speed as each other and all react to temps the same?

Or do I get to control individual fans? e.g. a few fans only start when the system gets to a certain temp while other fans are reacting to CPU temps?

Or does this fan hub get controlled by the BIOs and does this give me control over individual fans?

Thanks in advance

A PWM hub will just mimic whatever header you plug it into.

For individual fan control, something like the Commander Pro from Corsair would do.

That is what I use w/ great results.

Or you could use put all the fans you want silent unless needed on the PWN hub and plug them into a case header and make a curve in Asus FanXpert. Then use the other headers for specific areas.

If it's a fan hub that connects to a motherboard header, you can have it set to monitor the CPU/motherboard for temps and go with your curve/% that you have applied. If the fans are the same brand and model as each other they should spin at the same speed as each other roughly. If the fans are not the same, then they will spin at the % that you have set... so for example if you have a 1000rpm and a 2000rpm fan connected and set to 40%, then the speeds will be 400rpm and 800rpm respectively. If however the fans are connected to a hub/cpntroller that just plugs into a molex/sata connector then they usually have a switch for slow/medium/fast fan speed selector.

{edit} Just realised you said it was PWM, then it will be the first way I said above.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Use your mobo headers as much as you can. There aren't any good PWM controllers. Hubs will multiply single header, but lack individual control. If you need more fan that what you have headers, using splitters is imo better as you can still keep zone-style control.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

A PWM hub will just mimic whatever header you plug it into.

For individual fan control, something like the Commander Pro from Corsair would do.

That is what I use w/ great results.

Or you could use put all the fans you want silent unless needed on the PWN hub and plug them into a case header and make a curve in Asus FanXpert. Then use the other headers for specific areas.

Thank you very much, super useful!!!

4 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Use your mobo headers as much as you can. There aren't any good PWM controllers. Hubs will multiply single header, but lack individual control. If you need more fan that what you have headers, using splitters is imo better as you can still keep zone-style control.

Thank, very helpful :)

8 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

If it's a fan hub that connects to a motherboard header, you can have it set to monitor the CPU/motherboard for temps and go with your curve/% that you have applied. If the fans are the same brand and model as each other they should spin at the same speed as each other roughly. If the fans are not the same, then they will spin at the % that you have set... so for example if you have a 1000rpm and a 2000rpm fan connected and set to 40%, then the speeds will be 400rpm and 800rpm respectively. If however the fans are connected to a hub/cpntroller that just plugs into a molex/sata connector then they usually have a switch for slow/medium/fast fan speed selector.

{edit} Just realised you said it was PWM, then it will be the first way I said above.

ahh, thanks a lot :)

23 hours ago, The_Atomic said:

ahh, thanks a lot :)

No worries, it's super easy nowadays.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini