Amp died - still want the speakers

Hi all,

I have an issue which I've been struggling with for a while and have not been able to get to grips with. So I finally decided to swallow my pride and ask all you lovely people for help/advice.

I have been using my Panasonic 5.1 SC-HT845 home theatre system (with a sub-woofer) for ages and it's been great. Unfortunately, about 6 months ago, the DVD player (which is also the hub for the whole system - i.e. all the speakers connect to it)...died.

So I'm not too distraught about losing the ability to play DVD's but I am sorry to have lost my surround sound system. All the speakers are great and well positioned in the room. Plus they are all installed and hooked up to the wall, etc.

So...I have been trying to find a way of replacing the DVD player with some piece of equipment (doesn't have to play DVD's - in fact I'd rather it didn't) which I can hook my surround sound system up to and then plug into my TV so I can get my coveted surround sound back when I watch TV in my living room.

Here's a link to the system specs;

http://www.backoffice.be/prod_uk/Panasonic/sc-ht845_panasonic_sc-ht845_home_theatre_system_5.1_chan.asp

Back of the DVD player;

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj6gKzpqPLWAhUHRhQKHZ6oCowQjhwIBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nix.ru%2Fautocatalog%2Ftv%2FPanasonic-SC-HT845-Silver-DVD-Home-Theater-Sound-System_41926.html&psig=AOvVaw1d4d4iHb_Hltf9LD8mWaax&ust=1508146250386201

Links to equipment are great but please keep in mind that I live in Malta (E.U.) so it must be available in the European (or better yet, the UK) market and shipping is a plus.

Thanks all!

Hey,

Thanks for your reply!

I don't really have one.

To be more clear I'm not sure what buying a suitable device would cost. I guess it will come down to if I will be saving money purchasing the device VS buying a whole new comparable home theatre system with speakers and all.

I'm open to budget suggestions...

Thanks again.

I hate to be the one bursting your bubble, but using these speakers and subwoofer may not be possible. It looks like the wire from the "amp" to the subwoofer is proprietary. However, the wire from the subwoofer to the speakers is pretty standard. 

All you need is a new receiver and connect the speakers directly to the receiver. But I don't know how you would get the subwoofer to work.

My recommendation is to buy a used unit because 5.1 receivers are quite common and inexpensive on the second hand market.