Fan volts step down cable

Gendo

Just got some extra fans and a splitter cable but I'm now unable to control their speed. Do I only need one stepdown cable from the motherboard header or one for each fan? Splitter has a mobo header and a molex input.

¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦

Ghetto it and solder on a resistor, you need to know the fan's current rating to pick the right resistor

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

One for each fan to make it work for sure. Though its better if your mobo would support controlling fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

One for each fan to make it work for sure. Though its better if your mobo would support controlling fans.

Thought so as the molex connect to the output. Have only one header on the mobo which can't read 3x3 pin fans at once.

¦ Ryzen 5600 ¦ ROG Strix B550 ¦ Nvidia 1660Super ¦ 16GB 3600 ¦ EVGA 450w ¦ WD M.2 ¦

2 minutes ago, Gendo said:

Thought so as the molex connect to the output. Have only one header on the mobo which can't read 3x3 pin fans at once.

Lol, no header can. Thats why splitters and hubs have one master fan for speeds and rest follow as slaves. And also why its better to use same fan model over whole splitter. If possible.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Lol, no header can. Thats why splitters and hubs have one master fan for speeds and rest follow as slaves. And also why its better to use same fan model over whole splitter. If possible.

True it actually has one master but fans are mixed 120 and 230mm.

What fans, fan header, and motherboard are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 12/10/2017 at 10:57 PM, WoodenMarker said:

What fans, fan header, and motherboard are you using?

Asus Prime B350M-A using the only chassis fan header, with 2x Bitfenix Spectre 120mm and 1x 230mm all 3 pins, Ekwb PWM 1 to 4 Splitter

On 10/14/2017 at 7:06 AM, Gendo said:

Asus Prime B350M-A using the only chassis fan header, with 2x Bitfenix Spectre 120mm and 1x 230mm all 3 pins, Ekwb PWM 1 to 4 Splitter

Which fan do you have attached to the 4pin header on the splitter? The other 3 headers will be missing the 3rd pin for rpm. Have you set the fan header to DC mode in the motherboard settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which fan do you have attached to the 4pin header on the splitter? The other 3 headers will be missing the 3rd pin for rpm. Have you set the fan header to DC mode in the motherboard settings?

Got the 230mm there, uses to get a read before using the splitter but I now get only the rpm it's running at. it's set to DC on the bios.

11 hours ago, Gendo said:

Got the 230mm there, uses to get a read before using the splitter but I now get only the rpm it's running at. it's set to DC on the bios.

What speed are the fans running at and what settings are you trying?

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What speed are the fans running at and what settings are you trying?

I get one speed off Ai Suite, 840 rpm which is probably related to the 230mm fan as it seem to run quiet, the noisy ones are the 120mm ones at the top.

From the bios I get nothing, just settings for lower speed limit and different profiles which don't make any difference.

Aiming to match the speed of the other one or 1000 rpm top, even with the compact case the triple fan oc'd 780 runs pretty cool at the moment.

29 minutes ago, Gendo said:

I get one speed off Ai Suite, 840 rpm which is probably related to the 230mm fan as it seem to run quiet, the noisy ones are the 120mm ones at the top.

From the bios I get nothing, just settings for lower speed limit and different profiles which don't make any difference.

Aiming to match the speed of the other one or 1000 rpm top, even with the compact case the triple fan oc'd 780 runs pretty cool at the moment.

The rpm will only be read off of the first fan in the 4pin header. The fans are controlled via DC meaning the same voltage is applied to all the fans. 840rpm seems like near max rpm for most 230mm fans which would mean that your 120mm fans are also running near max.

What settings are you currently using?

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The rpm will only be read off of the first fan in the 4pin header. The fans are controlled via DC meaning the same voltage is applied to all the fans. 840rpm seems like near max rpm for most 230mm fans which would mean that your 120mm fans are also running near max.

What settings are you currently using?

Thanks for taking the time on this.

Got no clue about these fans speed rating, the 120s came with the Phenom Matx and the 230 it's from the same basic line. Used to have fans ranging from 1500 to 2000rpm and 800 seems low to me, at least for a 120.

When this rig had only the one running I was able to set it to a quite silent spin but now I'm unable to read or set them... 

15 minutes ago, Gendo said:

Thanks for taking the time on this.

Got no clue about these fans speed rating, the 120s came with the Phenom Matx and the 230 come from the same line. Used to have fans ranging from 1500 to 2000rpm and 800 seems low to me, at least for a 120.

When this rig had only the one running I was able to set it to a quite silent spin but now I'm unable to read or set them... 

Fans running off the splitter receive the same voltage and don't necessarily run at the same rpm. Bitfenix 230mm are rated at 900rpm meaning 840rpm is near 100%. That means that the 120mm Spectres are also running at near 100%.

What fan profiles do you have access to? There should be an option to set a custom fan curve. 

What was the one fan that you were running before?

18 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Fans running off the splitter receive the same voltage and don't necessarily run at the same rpm. Bitfenix 230mm are rated at 900rpm meaning 840rpm is near 100%. That means that the 120mm Spectres are also running at near 100%.

What fan profiles do you have access to? There should be an option to set a custom fan curve. 

What was the one fan that you were running before?

I can't set the fans, I get a blank profile on Ai Suite and on the bios i get nothing. Used to be able to when I had one of the included fans attached to the only header.

10 minutes ago, Gendo said:

I can't set the fans, I get a blank profile on Ai Suite and on the bios i get nothing. Used to be able to when I had one of the included fans attached to the only header.

Can you post a picture of what you mean?

Are you using Ai Suite in Windows as well as the bios settings?

Cha_Fan.PNG

CPU_Fan.PNG

13 minutes ago, Gendo said:

-snip-

You should change the source for the chassis fan to the cpu and not the motherboard temps. Also, you can try changing the fan being read by the splitter to one of the 120mm fans instead of the 230mm. 

What fan is plugged into the cpu_fan header?